6 speed feeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed feeler

So I want a six speed! Where do I start? I can do just about anything mechanically so work is not a problem. How many NA's here have one?
    Suggestions? Best place to start looking? Prices? All the important stuff I will be running into?
    Thanks
    smoke screen

Swapping a 6-speed into an NA is not a difficult task. They bolt right up. Start by keeping an eye on craigslist and other forum's classifieds sections, I bet our forum sponsors have some 6-speed units as well. My NA had one, wonton's NA has one, not too sure who else on here has done the swap. $500 for one is a good deal, market prices seem to settle around $600-700. You'll have to do some rewiring of the neutral and reverse switches, but that's it.

Also, the 6-speed is shorter geared, so you'll go through the gears faster. If you plan on boost, I'd suggest switching to a 3.9 or 3.636 rear end when you do add boost.

Originally posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

350-700 dollars

very good investment

bolts right up

miatastuff or panicmotorsports prolly have some boxed up and ready for a new home

do that **** asap

5speeds are so 1998
      Last edited by DecoyOctopus; 02-15-2010, 05:41 PM.
      MS2, VVT, 650cc, Spec S3, MMR, 6 speed, 4.30, AEM , ARP, ... one day ill get a real turbo

Comment

I do get them from time to time, but I don't have any right now. They go pretty quick. Sell that is.
        David Luney - Suwanee GA
        [email protected]
        04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

well figured I am about to spend the money on clutch and lighter flywheel so I might as well do the whole thing. No driveshaft issues? Just rewiring? 4 hr job with lift or more
          smoke screen

Comment

Originally posted by autate2003 View Post
            well figured I am about to spend the money on clutch and lighter flywheel so I might as well do the whole thing. No driveshaft issues? Just rewiring? 4 hr job with lift or more
            Nope, they have the same dimensions as the 5-speed. Plug and play with other hardware, just rewire as stated. They're much stronger than the 5-speeds too. Shouldn't add too much time to a standard clutch job.

Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

I always thought the six speed was longer? well learn somethin new everyday. And is your car a 1.6 or 1.8?
              '95 w/ now finished '99 swap, kyb agx's, flyin miata springs, sway bars, roll bar and more to come...sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mustangtomiata View Post
                I always thought the six speed was longer? well learn somethin new everyday. And is your car a 1.6 or 1.8?
                Nope, same length. 1.6 or 1.8 doesn't matter either (unless you're just curious about his car).

Comment

you can also look on www.car-part.com i got my six speed off there for 600 shipped.
                  99 turbo miata the search for more power never ends :banana:

Comment

1.8 found one in tifton for 325 supposedly 48K, Is this a shot in the dark? Or just trust my instincts?
                    smoke screen

Comment

It's worth a shot. You'll end up kicking yourself if you don't.
                      sigpic

Comment

I was just curious, and I would go ahead and plan on making that helacious hike down there to go get/look at it.
                        '95 w/ now finished '99 swap, kyb agx's, flyin miata springs, sway bars, roll bar and more to come...sigpic

Comment

Yeah I might get him to bring it to me, this guy Ive known forever at Jacks auto salvage has done 5 engine swaps for me so he owes me one.
                          smoke screen

Comment

i would do that. tifton is not a fun drive

Comment

Yeah, that would suck, I driven through there, and the thing that annoyed me the most was the 60 miles or so of billboards letting me know that I was getting closer to Tifton. I swear, those billboards made it seem like I was never going to get there.
                              sigpic
                              No matter how many friends you think you have, the size of your funeral will depend on the weather.
                              Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg
                              I don't want some dude's balls on my neck while I'm yelling at some Vietnamese guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X