• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flash13783
    Third Gear
    • Oct 2008

Fender Flares

I just purchased the Version 1 fender flares from autokonexion, and was wondering if anyone on here had done their flares themself or where they got them done at. I dont have a problem drilling holes, taping it off, and marking the lines myself...but when it comes to hacking off a chunk of fender and tucking it/welding (or whatever secret there is for the second layer on the rears). I'd like to have someone who's done it before! Any suggestions?
    sigpic
  • nickt93
    Administrator
    • Jul 2008

These are the best instructions I've found:

What wheels are you planning to run? Running skinny wheels with spacers to fill out the wheel well changes your suspension geometry and can negatively impact handling (the same can be said for zero offset wheels like Sportmax).
    sigpic

Comment

• RotorNutFD3S
      Administrator
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by nickt93 View Post
      What wheels are you planning to run? Running skinny wheels with spacers to fill out the wheel well changes your suspension geometry and can negatively impact handling (the same can be said for zero offset wheels like Sportmax).
      I don't know that I'd say running wide 0 offset wheels negatively affects handling, but it does change the suspension geometry. It may not be as accepted as running a 15x8 +36 6UL, but those wheels can't fill out flares either, not without spacers anyway. My car handled extremely well with the Sportmax wheels.

Originally posted by miata5620
      Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

• nickt93
        Administrator
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
        I don't know that I'd say running wide 0 offset wheels negatively affects handling, but it does change the suspension geometry. It may not be as accepted as running a 15x8 +36 6UL, but those wheels can't fill out flares either, not without spacers anyway. My car handled extremely well with the Sportmax wheels.
        You know from experience since you ran that exact setup, so I'll certainly defer to you on this one. I doubt the handling impacts of either the spacers or low offset wheels would be that noticeable to most drivers, and for a street car (versus a dedicated track or autocross car) I don't think it would be any problem at all. Just wanted to make sure the OP was taking all of these things into consideration.
        sigpic

Comment

• Flash13783
          Third Gear
          • Oct 2008

lol yea had a good conversation with Eric before I bout the flares and decided on wheel and tire sizes. I'm going 0 offset with 15x8 rota zero plus wheels. Just hoped someone had some expirience with cutting these fenders.
          sigpic

Comment

• lance
            Probably Should Be Working
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by nickt93 View Post
            These are the best instructions I've found:

great set of instructions, but this is not a quick and easy project.
            sigpicLance
            2008 MX5 PRHT (sold)
            2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 Coupe
            1981 Morgan Plus 8, 2016 Morgan three wheeler

Comment

• wonton
              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!1!!!!!!11!
              • Oct 2008

bring your car to me and ill do it for ya!

i havnt done it before but i know how it needs to be done!
              95 R-package 6 speed, MSPNP, AEM WB UEGO, HDHCDD, Walbro 190lph, stock inj, GT2860RS V-band, ARTech Manifold, 3"TBE, TiALMVS 38mm WG, Blitz BOV, NO BOOST!
              79 Corolla Gutted, weber 32/36, Header, Volk Rays, Ghetto slammed :lol:

Comment

• Flash13783
                Third Gear
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by wonton View Post
                bring your car to me and ill do it for ya!

i havnt done it before but i know how it needs to be done!
                Really?!! Sweet As soon as they come in I'll let ya know, I'll bring the beer and pizza lolz!
                sigpic

Comment

• wonton
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Flash13783 View Post
                  Really?!! Sweet As soon as they come in I'll let ya know, I'll bring the beer and pizza lolz!
                  sounds like a plan! we can do it in my garage, i have a welder so we can close up your rear fenders properly!
                  95 R-package 6 speed, MSPNP, AEM WB UEGO, HDHCDD, Walbro 190lph, stock inj, GT2860RS V-band, ARTech Manifold, 3"TBE, TiALMVS 38mm WG, Blitz BOV, NO BOOST!

Comment

• Beastinthebushes
                    Tits and Cumming!
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by wonton View Post
                    sounds like a plan! we can do it in my garage, i have a welder so we can close up your rear fenders properly!

Depending on when this gets done, I want to know so I can see if I can make it out to join in on this. Keep me posted.
                    sigpic
                    No matter how many friends you think you have, the size of your funeral will depend on the weather.
                    Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg
                    I don't want some dude's balls on my neck while I'm yelling at some Vietnamese guy.

Comment

• wonton
                      • Oct 2008

we have it planned for next Saturday as of right now!

Comment

• oldgrayfrog
                        Professional Rodeo Clown
                        • Apr 2009

Sean, when you get real good at this, you can do mine. LOL
                        My new flares should be here by the end of the week. I can't wait to see what Erics Sportmax look like on my NB. BTW I think the negative impact on handling is only going to be noticed at the traqck, just like most of us will never feel fade in our stock brakes, but for those like Nick who track their cars regularly, I would suggest 1 set of zero offset tires/wheels for the street, and 1 set of 40mm offset superlight weight wheel/tire combo for the track. I haven't been yet, but I am keeping my Enkei wheels just the same.
                        Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
                        RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

• wonton
                          • Oct 2008

im good at everything man! haha.....theres nothing i cant do within reason!

im gonna do chris's (Flash) and im gonna be doing mine, and your if you let me! ill make sure we will get lots of pics so you can see the quality of work!

i wont try and tackle a project if i know i cant do it!
                          Last edited by wonton; 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Beastinthebushes
                            Tits and Cumming!
                            • Oct 2009

Re: Fender Flares

Originally posted by wonton
                            im good at everything man! haha.....theres nothing i cant do within reason!
                            Except for deal cards
                            sigpic
                            No matter how many friends you think you have, the size of your funeral will depend on the weather.
                            Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg
                            I don't want some dude's balls on my neck while I'm yelling at some Vietnamese guy.

Comment

• wonton
                              • Oct 2008

shut up! :lol: cards just hate me! cars dont! :D

Comment

Working...
                              X