Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jic or koni or Bilstien

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jic or koni or Bilstien

    hey guys I thought I would ask your oppinion on what kind of coilovers are the best for the money, and are good for track and autoX I've got it down to three: Bilstien, Koni, or jic-flt. Oh yeah also I want to keep it in the CS class at the autoX.
    "I've never seen anyone do that before... I've never seen someone drive there garbage to the street then beat the hell out of it."

  • #2
    Unfortunatly, I don't know what CS allows for, but, i'd stay from the Koni coilovers. I had a friend get them and they blew out in less than a year and Koni wouldn't warranty them. I hear great things about the PSS9 kit and not much about the JIC (other than hteir customer service sucks).

    What price range are you looking at if you don't mind me asking?

    Comment


    • #3
      cant get coilovers in CS you can only replace the shock itself and use stock springs, cant change the rear sway bar use only the stock size wheel. Local advisement in CS is to get a big front sway, Koni sports and the stickiest DOT tires you can get on the factory wheels and thats it.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think the most I'm willing to spend is in the $1700 range
        "I've never seen anyone do that before... I've never seen someone drive there garbage to the street then beat the hell out of it."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Otto View Post
          cant get coilovers in CS you can only replace the shock itself and use stock springs, cant change the rear sway bar use only the stock size wheel. Local advisement in CS is to get a big front sway, Koni sports and the stickiest DOT tires you can get on the factory wheels and thats it.
          If thats the case I may consider runing in a new class.
          "I've never seen anyone do that before... I've never seen someone drive there garbage to the street then beat the hell out of it."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Doppelgänger View Post
            Unfortunatly, I don't know what CS allows for, but, i'd stay from the Koni coilovers. I had a friend get them and they blew out in less than a year and Koni wouldn't warranty them. I hear great things about the PSS9 kit and not much about the JIC (other than hteir customer service sucks).

            What price range are you looking at if you don't mind me asking?
            I've never heard of a complaint with Koni's. I'm personally a fan of Koni's over Bilsteins (not that Bilsteins are bad).

            If I decide not to run a full coilover system, I'm going to use H&R Race springs attached to Koni Race struts with a threaded body which will allow me to corner balance the car.

            Comment


            • #7
              Kevin's 01 runs Koni sports with stock springs and I thought it was pretty damn good, considering the marshmello spring rates.

              Personally, I build cars to satisfy myself and don't care what class that it would put me in, even if my car is super uncompetitive due to being grossly outclassed and outbudgeted by those who run with me.

              Then again, look at Mike who runs SM2 with his turbo car and competes well with cars that are really in a whole other league.
              DIYAutoTune.com

              | 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
              | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
              | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

              Comment


              • #8
                What are the spring rates on the H&R's?
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'd *guess* 280/220 after riding in an H&R car. But that's a guess on something that's hard to guess about.
                  DIYAutoTune.com

                  | 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
                  | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
                  | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    H&R Race = 320F/275R

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Damn, that explains the lack of a rear sway bar then.
                      DIYAutoTune.com

                      | 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
                      | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
                      | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Interesting. I think my GC setup is 375/250 as I recall...using Eibach springs.
                        The Eibach Pros (nothing like the springs on the GC) on the black & tan are a bit too soft...I have the rates somewhere but cant find them. One of these days I will change them. They were free so I cant really complain. ;)
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          soooo you guys like koni with Eibach springs?
                          "I've never seen anyone do that before... I've never seen someone drive there garbage to the street then beat the hell out of it."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ben91 View Post
                            Kevin's 01 runs Koni sports with stock springs and I thought it was pretty damn good, considering the marshmello spring rates.

                            Personally, I build cars to satisfy myself and don't care what class that it would put me in, even if my car is super uncompetitive due to being grossly outclassed and outbudgeted by those who run with me.

                            Then again, look at Mike who runs SM2 with his turbo car and competes well with cars that are really in a whole other league.
                            I kinna feel the same, and thats really why I was asking, I'm not about some B.A. auto X er who spends every last penny on a autoX champion car, I want a car that feels like its on rails but also competent in the CS class, but I think I may just sacrificce the CS class for better handling.
                            "I've never seen anyone do that before... I've never seen someone drive there garbage to the street then beat the hell out of it."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MeFryRice View Post
                              I've never heard of a complaint with Koni's. I'm personally a fan of Koni's over Bilsteins (not that Bilsteins are bad).

                              If I decide not to run a full coilover system, I'm going to use H&R Race springs attached to Koni Race struts with a threaded body which will allow me to corner balance the car.
                              Yea I think a few people missed what Mike was talking about as for Knoi Coilover's sucking, not the Knoi Shocks. I know he is not saying the shocks suck as he had them on a few of his cars and pushed for them on mine. I do remember hearing that Knoi made a Coilover set for the miata and only heard bad things.

                              as to the OP, if you looking for something on the low end everyone seems to have good luck with Knoi Yellow shocks and GC coilovers. As for the JIC i haven't heard much for the miata but they are a big hit in the DSM world, but look to spend a pretty penny.
                              1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                              2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X