Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removal of NB Appearance Package (Tupperware)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of NB Appearance Package (Tupperware)

Folks,

The Tupperware has been removed!

I bought my Miata two years ago. I was specifically looking for a 2002 Special Edition. I bought the one I could afford, which happened to be clad in the large "appearance package", otherwise known as Tupperware. Since I bought the car to drive, not to look at, I decided to live with the so called Tupperware. Then I hit the breaking point. I hated the way it looked and thought it hid the beautiful lines of the Miata. So, for better or worse, I set off to remove the appearance package myself. The end result is what I would call "Good from afar, but far from good." I have no regrets. I think it looks so much better... from a distance. Up close, it's a little on the rough side. I got an estimate for filling the holes and repainting the area. It was $1300, which may not be a bad price, but I decided to plug the holes with plastic plugs (painted with correct touch up paint) and live with it. I am glad I did it. No regrets. But as I said, it is "good from afar, but far from good!"

So, for the curious, here are the photos:
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 15 photos.
    sigpic
    2002 Special Edition

You know what? At first I thought you were crazy. But the end result is not bad at all. It does make it look "lighter".

Comment

It is definitely a bit crazy. I don't recommend it unless you just can't live with the appearance package. To be clear, it does not look great up close. But if you step back a few feet, then it looks gorgeous. I have always thought the lines of the NB were beautiful, but the large "Tupperware" hid them. I just got tired of being disappointed in how the car looked. I love the way it looks now. Much "lighter" as you said, and much more graceful. Less clunky and heavy. That being said, I understand that some folks love the larger side skirts. It is certainly a personal preference. As I said above, I'm glad I took the risk. (In retrospect, I probably should have waited and bought one without the side skirts, but the price was right and I was eager to buy.)
      sigpic
      2002 Special Edition

Comment

While I love both the small and large side skirts on NBs, I like it just as much without too. Great work!

Originally posted by miata5620
        Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Originally posted by Hicks44257 View Post
          It is definitely a bit crazy. I don't recommend it unless you just can't live with the appearance package. To be clear, it does not look great up close. But if you step back a few feet, then it looks gorgeous. I have always thought the lines of the NB were beautiful, but the large "Tupperware" hid them. I just got tired of being disappointed in how the car looked. I love the way it looks now. Much "lighter" as you said, and much more graceful. Less clunky and heavy. That being said, I understand that some folks love the larger side skirts. It is certainly a personal preference. As I said above, I'm glad I took the risk. (In retrospect, I probably should have waited and bought one without the side skirts, but the price was right and I was eager to buy.)
          Yeah sometimes you gotta jump on what's available!

Comment

My only feedback is it feels off balance with the Tupperware lip on the front bumper still.

Granted I am in the boat of thinking Mazda makes really well-balanced and clean appearance packages to their cars. It's on my dream list to find a set of USDM side skirts for my old Mazda.
            1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
            2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

Yep. I see what you're saying. A little unbalanced maybe. Again, I don't really recommend doing it, but for those knuckleheads determined to do so, just know... I am MUCH happier with the new look.
              sigpic
              2002 Special Edition

Comment

Just adding a before and after comparison.
                sigpic
                2002 Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Hicks44257 View Post
                  Yep. I see what you're saying. A little unbalanced maybe. Again, I don't really recommend doing it, but for those knuckleheads determined to do so, just know... I am MUCH happier with the new look.
                  That is the key, it's your ride, and your the one that has to see it every day and drive it every day. Cause no one wants to be like Jeremy Clarkson and the Porsche Panamera and walk to the car with your eyes closed :D
                  1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                  2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

Bravo. That's a lot of work but it looks pretty good to me. I think the unclad body lines look the best, AP doesn't do it for me at all.
                    2001 BRG SE

Comment

Working...
                    X