Opinions on Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Suspension

OK heres my delima. The car is going to be a daily driver, but I want it pretty damn low. I'd love for the tires to just barely clear the fenders. I plan on just getting some 15" sportmax wheels... I am also planning on getting the fender flares, so that may come into play.

What do you think?
    Springs?
    Springs and struts?
    Coilovers? (I'd rather not since its a DD)
    http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...sig4copy-1.jpg
    2006 Subaru WRX STi
    1992 Mazda Miata
    1990 240SX SR *RIP*
    1999 Acura Integra GSR *SOLD*
    1978 Jeep CJ7 *SOLD*

RE: Opinions on Suspension

This is what I'm going for as far as height.

2006 Subaru WRX STi
    1992 Mazda Miata
    1990 240SX SR *RIP*
    1978 Jeep CJ7 *SOLD*

Comment

I don't think there are any springs that'll lower it as much as you're looking for. Will probably have to be coilovers.

I'll be going for the Megan coilovers before too long. They're pretty damn cheap and supposed to have good longevity. Last I saw they're around $800. So after you spend $400 on dampers and $300 on springs and more for bumpstops and then have to assemble it all, it'd be well worth it to just spring for the coilovers that are already matched. Just a thought.

Comment

There's no way you're gonna be able to get that low without going for coilovers. And even if you did manage to find a strut spring combination you'ld end up sacrificing all suspension travel.

You could go with ground control sleeves and lower the car some, not sure how low they can go but again, anything your adjusting height without doing it inside the actual strut body is gonna be bad for handling. With the double wishbone setup the Miata likes travel and a bit of height, it just keeps on gripping :cool:

Comment

do you know how stiff the megans are?[hr]
          I have Tein Flex coilovers on my Suby, and its so damn rough its rediculous
          2006 Subaru WRX STi
          1992 Mazda Miata
          1990 240SX SR *RIP*
          1978 Jeep CJ7 *SOLD*

Comment

http://enjukuracing.com/megan-racing-coilovers-mazda-miata-8997-p-7532.html

I'm trying to figure out exactly what the conversion is from kilograms to lbs...lol.

Comment

One site says to multiply the LB/in. figure by 56...Not sure if it's right or not, but that would come out around 560 front and 448 rear.

*Edit*. Conversion factor from Kg/mm to Lb/in. is .0179, which comes out to 559 front, 446 rear. So the original was close enough. :)

Comment

That's really not too bad, certainly manageable.

Comment

Looks like I may be getting megans then
                  2006 Subaru WRX STi
                  1992 Mazda Miata
                  1990 240SX SR *RIP*
                  1978 Jeep CJ7 *SOLD*

Comment

Get Ground Control sleeves, cheap.

Comment

They cost $400 before shipping. If you want a sleeved coilover set and aren't afraid to spend I would opt for the fat cat motorsport ones. He puts alot of time and research into them.

Comment

Wow, not only did I miss this thread, I missed that it had my car in it to. Double Fail! lol

Anyway, in that picture of my car, I have Bilstein struts and the H&R springs, nothing else. Ride is not harsh, and has complete travel.

But now I'm becoming wary of installing the Tein SS coilovers. No one can seem to agree on how the ride quality is with coilovers, and it's a big deal to me since the car is a daily driver. Some say it's fine as long as the dampening is set well, and then some say it kills you with roughness. :cry:

Originally posted by miata5620
                        Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Yep with correct dampening I was fine with megans. They will be firm. They will probably be how you imagine the next step in firmness from your current suspension to be.

Comment

Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S
                            Wow, not only did I miss this thread, I missed that it had my car in it to. Double Fail! lol

Anyway, in that picture of my car, I have Bilstein struts and the H&R springs, nothing else. Ride is not harsh, and has complete travel.

But now I'm becoming wary of installing the Tein SS coilovers. No one can seem to agree on how the ride quality is with coilovers, and it's a big deal to me since the car is a daily driver. Some say it's fine as long as the dampening is set well, and then some say it kills you with roughness. :cry:
                            that's going to be a personal preference. I rode in a car that I thought was "soft" but the owner thought it was harsh....

....only one way to find out. :D

Comment

Yeah. Plenty of time between here and there too...

Originally posted by miata5620
                              Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Working...
                              X