P/Steering delete stretch belt size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P/Steering delete stretch belt size

Putting a depowered rack in a first gen car. I've heard some folks have had good results with the correct stretch belt between the crank and the a/c compressor. Does anyone just happen to have a belt part number running around in their memory? Thanks.
    Originally posted by Beastinthebushes
    Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

I don't know my self but I work at a parts store and I have access to all the service manuals so I can take a look for you. But I don't think a car was ever optioned with ac but no power steering however. If not you can take a piece of yarn and run it around the pulleys to get a rough size. You will still need to buy three or four belts in one go to get the right one most likely. I would also get all the sizes smaller than the one measured. O'reillys has a really good return policy so they should take back the ones you don't use just keep the sleeve and make sure it looks clean when you bring it back.

Comment

I keep a lot of old notes for something, just took me a minute to find it: 4PK0775 or 5040305

And tips for install:

Take all four of the bolts off that hold the compressor to the mounting bracket. Tilt the front of the compressor toward the crank pulley to slip the belt on. If you have chosen the correct length putting the compressor back on the mounting bracket will tighten the belt just right.

Reinsert the long mounting bolts just like it was before.

If necessary for additional belt tension, a flat washer can be placed between two or even all four of the contact points where the compressor attaches to its mounting bracket.Use a couple of flat washers between the compressor and its bracket if needed for additional tension.
      ------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Blake View Post
      But I don't think a car was ever optioned with ac but no power steering however.
      It was more common than you think. NA and NB models both had ac equipped cars that had no power steering (NA R-Packages for instance, my '95 was one of them). There was a special idler pulley manufactured by Mazda for just this reason, to take the place of the missing PS pump, finding one now is pretty difficult though.

Originally posted by miata5620
      Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Thanks guys. I wound up ordering a 5040299sf before Rip replied. It seems to fit well, and seems to have enough deflection even though it's a little smaller. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think it should work well.
        Originally posted by Beastinthebushes
        Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

Comment

Working...
        X