Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove NB side skirts / appearance package / Tupperware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove NB side skirts / appearance package / Tupperware?

I am interested in removing the OEM appearance package that came on my 2002 Miata. I see plenty of videos on YouTube about how to INSTALL side skirts, but none on how to REMOVE them. I also see OEM side skirts for sale, so it looks like someone is removing them.

I know that there are holes that must be filled. In particular, I am curious how to deal with the tape or adhesive that appears to be holding it on.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for advice on removing this stuff? I don't absolutely hate it, but it think it hides the beauty of the original shape.

I'm not sure if I want to remove the front air dam yet, but if so I'd like to sell the whole package when I get it off. My car has the "Appearance Package 1" which includes: Large front air dam, side sill extensions and rear mud guards.

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance.
    sigpic
    2002 Special Edition

Adhesive will come off pretty easy with a 70-98% d-Limonene (oil from the skin of oranges) safe on clear coat/most painted plastics, wear gloves--unless you want 36grit on your fingers. May be tough to find at a local store....Let me know if you need some (I'm in the chemical MRO supply ind.) and I'll get you a can.

Comment

What Jeff recommends will work for removing any tape that remains after popping the parts off.

Also keep in mind that these parts have been on your car for 18 years, the color underneath the appearance parts will not match and there will likely be clear coat damage from dirt/grit rubbing between parts. But that all goes with filling in the mounting holes.

Originally posted by miata5620
      Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

I just went through this (94M)--replacing a broken tail light, old gasket was partially still on body. I took a QTIP (several) and soaked the gasket (tape) with DLIME 98% over & over for 3 days(dabbed it on every 2-3 hours)...it's oil, so it does not dry out quickly, then took a plastic upholstery tool and scraped it off. I am by no means an authority on Miata's (1st time owner) or cars....But I do understand chemical and what the reactions are......I thought about freezing it also, but my canned air was empty.

Comment

Badass cars BTW

Comment

I'm also new to a forum....posting my profile pic or any pic for that matter for my IPhone or desk-top seem to be a real challenge, I'm sure I'm the 1st to deal with this!lol, see what happens when you guys let rookies play with pro's, I'm sure this will be the 1st of many mistake's.

Comment

See--from my IPhone

Comment

60781076651__DCE761BF-1262-4476-8B55-A066EFC76339.jpg

Comment

Sort of got it right...I need to make a right hand turn.....my Febuary 2020--$100.00 purchase

Comment

[img]60781076651__dce761bf-1262-4476-8b55-a066efc76339[/img]

Comment

60781076651__DCE761BF-1262-4476-8B55-A066EFC76339.jpg

Comment

Sorry--& the rookie mistakes continue...My $1000.00 purchase....This picture thing! :(

Comment

Beautiful. That looks like a great one.
                          sigpic
                          2002 Special Edition

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. I am still trying to decide whether to take all this stuff off or not. One one hand, I think the car looks better without all the add-ons. On the other hand, I feel like a woman who has been stuck at home a little too long because of the coronavirus and says, "Yea, I think I should cut my own bangs!" I'll let you know how things go. Thanks again!
                            sigpic
                            2002 Special Edition

Comment

Working...
                            X