ATL area ECU tuner for a track car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATL area ECU tuner for a track car

My 2003 NB is still street legal, but pretty much a dedicated track car now. I'm not worried about passing emissions.

I currently have a Kooks/Ti Speed Spec Miata exhaust on it with no cats. I'm about to add a Racing Beat header and a square top intake manifold. I'd like to get a tune to maximize these mods.

I'm looking for opinions on whether to get a tune of the stock ECU or install a Megasquirt stand alone.

Secondly, I'm looking for an ATL tuner to do it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not aware of an option to tune a stock 2003 ECU short of a piggyback. MS is the choice for the performance folks I have been engaged with.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    [email protected]
    04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

As someone who's installed and tuned using a MS, I'd definitely go stand alone/Megasquirt. It's really simple, and there's a huge data base on the internet for it.

I'm also unaware of a way to tune the stock ECU (pretty sure it's not possible, or at least more difficult than going MS).

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Anyone know a good local tuner? I think it’s past my skill level. Thx.

Comment

As someone who's installed a couple megasharts and messed with them, I'd avoid them. I'd personally go for the haltech, I believe they now have plug and play units that are priced competitively with MS.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Is Montgomery too far? I have a buddy with a dyno at his house that tunes MS for Atlanta folks regularly. [email protected] his name is Kenny and tell him Jim sent you

Comment

So I am a certified tuner through HP Academy, Ive tuned multiple peoples cars on this forum and in the Atlanta area. My car is @merlot_mx5 on instagram. standalone is the way to go, No dyno unfortunately but Ive got some really good maps dialed in on the street.
              1990 Turbo'd sleeper.
              Tuner, I can make it go faster.
              :nxsmile:

Comment

I've heard good things about DBW Motorsports tuning

https://www.facebook.com/DBWmotorsports/
                sigpic

Comment

Since you don't have an ECU yet, I would recommend choosing a tuner you feel comfortable with first and then going the ECU route that they prefer and can work best with. Tuning a VVT can get some pretty big gains, especially for the money, but you also want to think about drive-ability, startup, idle, and overall "area under the curve". Lots of people focus on overall peak numbers and gains, but there's a lot more involved in a proper tune. Even for a track-only car.

Working directly with the tuner also makes sure there are no surprises. You'll probably need a wideband. What works best with the ECU choice? Are there other sensors you need to get it better dialed in? (e.g., IAT, EGT). Can that tuner do the whole install and tune all at once? (saves a huge headache and puts the ball in their court to make sure everything works correctly)

I've also heard good things about DBW from another VVT owner running a MS, but I believe he also works with Haltech (what I'm using).
                  Last edited by Rzupancic; 01-17-2019, 08:32 AM.
                  - Ryan
                  1999 Miata (Red) - Stock non-VVT, Haltech, Ohlins, 949 6ULs and NT01s

Comment

I'm looking at going with Topspeed, the shop I use for the projects that are too big for me (Controlled Motors) does their builds, but definitely not set on it so excited to see what you decide to do. Question for you guys with MS3, when you swap it back with the stock ecu to pass emissions, assuming you haven't changed any hard parts, does the stock ecu maintain readiness or does other work have to be done before the car is ready to pass again outside of swapping out the ecu?

Thanks!

Comment

Another vote for DBW Motorsports - he tuned my car back when I still had the turbo engine and MS - he took his time on drivability and even added a MAF delete pipe for free, which I didn't ask him to do - he just wanted another three HP...

Lots of folks running MS, and I had fun using the tuning software, but I agree with the idea of using what the tuner likes and recommends if tuning is not your thing...

I plan to head back to DBW this spring - the last time my car was on a dyno was in CO, and I'm sure he could tune a few more ponies out of it...
                      Regards, John

2005 Titanium Gray MSM FM LS3 - Build Diary Here

Comment

Just to bump this thread, To all the local miata guys, I now have access to a Dynojet dyno in Canton, I can take care of all your tuning needs!
                        1990 Turbo'd sleeper.
                        Tuner, I can make it go faster.
                        :nxsmile:

Comment

Originally posted by crash12190 View Post
                          Just to bump this thread, To all the local miata guys, I now have access to a Dynojet dyno in Canton, I can take care of all your tuning needs!
                          You've been PM'ed, I want someone competent to tune spark for me in a few weeks.
                          '00 Black NB, Track/Street car.
                          It seems like the most powerful weapon in the universe is speed. Move something fast enough and it will obliterate anything

Comment

Crash1290. Is a great tuner and i say he knows what he is doing this is coming from a guy that had been tuning and running turbo miata for 15 years.. i would have no problem going to him for any miata tuning.. i am also a cerifited automotive technician and very selective on who i would want touching my car.. also his street tuning skills are great.. if anyone has been in a ride in his miata knows he does not mess around his car is very fast.
                            Last edited by Locomonkeyboricua; 03-02-2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crash12190 View Post
                              Sent you a pm, hmu when you can, love to chat and see how soon you could do something.

Comment

Working...
                              X