COP questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COP questions.

What kits do y’all use or do you prefer home brew. I was looking at the Fab9Tuning Toyota kit. I’m running a protege valve cover and one of the breather hose bungs comes out right on the coil pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slip 'N' Slide

I built my own for the NA, but they were only safe to run everyday with the MSPnP I had. Worked great.

I do intend to run the Fab9 standalone on my NB1 to elimnate to iffy coils on that model.

Comment

Originally posted by kung fu jesus View Post
      I built my own for the NA, but they were only safe to run everyday with the MSPnP I had. Worked great.

I do intend to run the Fab9 standalone on my NB1 to elimnate to iffy coils on that model.
      I should be getting my MS1 tomorrow, so I’m not worried about that part, I looked through the write up on miata turbo, I might just go with the Fab9Tuning kit

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

4 Toyota cops was $20 in the junkyard. Piece of flat and some threaded rod was also cheap, though we plug welded the rod cuz we can.

Comment

Originally posted by iscariot View Post
          4 Toyota cops was $20 in the junkyard. Piece of flat and some threaded rod was also cheap, though we plug welded the rod cuz we can.
          After reading the Miata turbo write up I’m still not 100% on how it gets wired. I’ll take another look. I know they use 1ZZ coils in the write up, do I need to change spark plugs like the Fab9Tuning kit?

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

It was a while ago, but IIRC, it took me about 1-2 hours to make my MS COPs. I got a TSE mounting bracket from a friend. Making the COPs wasn't that difficult. Probably the slowest part was putting the wires in a spare igniter to fit. I used the writeup on M.T.

Comment

IMG_0033.jpgIMG_0034.jpg

This is four COPS out of a 2000? Corolla from the junkyard. I had a spare coilpack set for the miata that I cut the male? connectors off of to make everything plug and play and so that I could swap back to the original coilpack if I need to.

I had to dremel the potting compound out of the spare connectors and soldered the wires correctly then used epoxy to create my own potting and let it set up.

As far as wiring them in goes, you can use one 12V(HOT) wire for all four COPS, and can use the same Ground wire for all four. Then it comes down to ensuring the trigger wires are going to the proper COPS. 1&4 share a trigger, then 2&3 share a trigger. You can look at the diagram and figure out which wire is which. The colors for the wires varies sometimes so youll have to check the actual diagram for your car. This is ASSUMING you dont have a 1.6 or an NB. COPS.jpg

Also to answer your other question, if youre using the toyota cops, NO you dont need to change your sparkplugs. FI is another story though.
              Last edited by Otaroko; 12-27-2017, 05:33 PM. Reason: plugs
              1996 White Used and abused

Comment

I read some more about the mega squirt that’s getting delivered tomorrow, and it may not support coil on plug ignition, I will need to call DIY tomorrow

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

Originally posted by GTOTT97 View Post
                  I read some more about the mega squirt that’s getting delivered tomorrow, and it may not support coil on plug ignition, I will need to call DIY tomorrow

I dont understand what exactly that means TBH. I would think the MS would be able to use the trigger wires of the coils to fire them like the stock ignition.
                  1996 White Used and abused

Comment

My MS1 is a 2.2 board, this was written in the description. I was going to call to get clarification on what I circled.

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

First question about what COPs to use: What exactly are you trying to accomplish by changing the coils out? Is this to handle more boost than stock coils can typically run, a cosmetic upgrade, or what?
                      Matt Cramer - DIYAutoTune.com technical support

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
                        First question about what COPs to use: What exactly are you trying to accomplish by changing the coils out? Is this to handle more boost than stock coils can typically run, a cosmetic upgrade, or what?
                        Got a Toyota set up from BP performance, on my 1.8 swap I went with a Protege valve cover which meant I did not have a way to mount a 1.6 coil pack.

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

Working...
                        X