I need some suspension Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some suspension Feedback

I have sold my bilstein and ground control sleeve set up because it was way too harsh of a ride for me, I have an opportunity to buy some Megan racing coil overs for $300 if I can work out the finances. If that doesn’t work out I was thinking about getting some tein streets or maybe advanced. Anybody on here happen to of run either of these choices, this will largely soon become a track and weekend car, but I would still like to drive it to work every once in a while, the bilsteins made it feel like I was taking a sledgehammer to the *** every bump I went over, but I was told they could’ve possibly just needed to re-valved for the springs. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slip 'N' Slide

Ride quality is dependent on lots of things, but shock valving is just as significant as spring rates. Poorly valved shocks will likely ride like crap over bumps no matter what springs you have on them. High-end shocks can handle way stiffer springs and still offer OEM-like absorbing.

What spring rates were on your Bilsteins? If it was a common SM setup, it should've been 700 front, 325 rear, which is definitely on the stiff side for DD. Hate to say it, but I think the alternatives you mentioned are a downgrade in shock quality, and you'd probably be happier with a mid-range shock like a Bilstein HD or Koni Yellow on softer springs.
    - Ryan
    1999 Miata (Red) - Stock non-VVT, Haltech, Ohlins, 949 6ULs and NT01s

Comment

440/350 based upon what the buyer could find looking at the numbers on the springs

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

Without knowing the full details of your car or suspension setup, it's hard to say what else may have been causing it to feel so bad for you. Those rates on fresh Bilstein HDs wouldn't be considered stiff or harsh by most people. But ride quality is extremely subjective and there are different compromises people are willing to make. I can't imagine an entry level Megan/Tein/BC Racing/[insert any Chinese-made shock] coilover riding noticeable better than new Bilsteins with those rates.

Too low of a ride height with limited shock travel or blown shocks are some other common factors that would cause a shock to feel overly harsh. Revalving wouldn't have been an issue with those rates.
        - Ryan
        1999 Miata (Red) - Stock non-VVT, Haltech, Ohlins, 949 6ULs and NT01s

Comment

Didn't you put in poly bushings?

Yeap, found poly bushings in your install thread. Your ride harshness is probably moreso from that than spring rates.
          Last edited by iscariot; 12-15-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iscariot View Post
            Didn't you put in poly bushings?

Yeap, found poly bushings in your install thread. Your ride harshness is probably moreso from that than spring rates.
            Hmm, we’ll **** guess I shouldn’t have sold those.

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

The LFX has MSM billies with QA1 450/300 and rubber bushings, it's not obnoxious at all. My other car has fortuneauto's on 500/400 and poly bushings and it's a kidney puncher.

Comment

Xidas make poly bushings cushy.
                '00 Silver Miata

Comment

Originally posted by GTOTT97 View Post
                  for $300 if I can work out the finances
                  You may want to look at the bigger picture of your financial life if this is really an issue to "work out." Just my advice.
                  2007 True Red Miata

Comment

Originally posted by Rzupancic View Post
                    Ride quality is dependent on lots of things, but shock valving is just as significant as spring rates.
                    My opinion is that ride quality is much more dependant on shock compression valving. I have 550# front springs and 225 rear springs on Koni sports and the ride is great. Every sports car suspension book you read (although no one reads anymore, if its not on youtube its not real I guess) says while you can tune with springs the primary tuning for handling should be with swaybars (long sweepers) and shock valving (transitions). Springs hold up the car and rates should be selected primarily to hold up the car to get the suspension geometry you want at designed maximum compressed length.

R
                    92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

I suppose I should modify part of my original issue, the car was super stiff over bumps, and granted I was on stock sway bars, but the car seem to lean in corners worse than when I was on blown suspension

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

Originally posted by Zadnak View Post
                        You may want to look at the bigger picture of your financial life if this is really an issue to "work out." Just my advice.
                        It’s not that I can’t pay for them, it’s whether the money that will pay for them is going to come before they sell

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

Things worked out even better, I got in contact with the ever wonderful Alex Todd and will be getting a set of BC racing coil overs in very good shape

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

Working...
                          X