Weapon-R Intake Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapon-R Intake Problems

I recently purchased my first Miata (2000 Base) and it came with a cobbled together Cold Air Intake. It was all well done and properly braced and assembled. It is made from a Weapon-R crossover tube and a K&N cone filter.

Everywhere that I look, the Weapon-R has a disastrous reputation, is hugely frowned upon, and should be replaced immediately! But the only complaints that I can find are that they often don't include all of the pieces in the box and that the filter falls off. ALOT! I have not had these problems, my filter cone is a K&N and seems to fit well. I know that the aluminum tubing can become heat soaked and I know that the filter cone is right next to the exhaust. But I figure that heat wrapping the intake tube and addressing the header with wrap or ceramic can alleviate some of this.

Are there any other problems that I should know about on this setup, or should I just leave it alone? I do not have the OEM intake setup, this is the way the car came. Should I not worry about it, or should I seek out an OEM setup? Any opinions?

I had one and it was a waste of $200. It did not fit properly and dented my hood... then later the air filter melted. If it fits, leave it alone, maybee make a heat shield.

Aftermarket intakes for Miatas are all pretty much crap. I run a monster flow tube, with a silicone 45 to tuck it right behind the headlight. It’s been my experience nothing out of the box really works well.
    The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
    http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

Comment

Yeah, I read that about the Weapon-R and others. Maybe his filter melted and that's why he swapped it to a K&N. He did install it well and I have no fitment or rubbing issues.

I'll be getting a header soon. Either a Racing Beat or an 01-05 OEM. If I get the RB, I'll get it ceramic coated. If I get the 01-05, I will install the OEM shield. I might get it ceramic coated as well. Maybe that will help. We'll see.

Comment

Independent testing has shown that where the Miata picks up its air is one of the coolest places under the hood. So that Weapon-R isn't doing you any favors. It just makes a nice noise.

There's a few intakes, like this one, that have potential to move the air filter to a colder location. Even with this one might be compromised by getting heat soaked where it sits over the radiator.
        Originally posted by Beastinthebushes
        Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

Comment

If you need a 99-00 stock intake, I have one. I don't have the airbox.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
            Independent testing has shown that where the Miata picks up its air is one of the coolest places under the hood. So that Weapon-R isn't doing you any favors. It just makes a nice noise.

There's a few intakes, like this one, that have potential to move the air filter to a colder location. Even with this one might be compromised by getting heat soaked where it sits over the radiator.
            I have never seen the factory airbox in person, but in pics, it looks like it is the same location as the Weapon R.

I may try casting a new one in carbon fiber this winter. I picked up some scotchcast last week. I just need to get some carbon sleeve and a vacuum pump...

Comment

That is the best Miata interior Ive ever seen. What did you use to mount the afr gauge?

Comment

Working...
              X