Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rods

It's not of huge importance but from what I've seen the BP4W is supposed to have forged pistons and rods from the factory. Upon disassembling my engine the pistons are definitely forged but the rods look cast. Was the info wrong or has somebody changed the rods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slip 'N' Slide

Factory rods are forged. Thick line = forged, thin line = cast. Don't be confused by the textured surface.

But, just because they are forged doesn't mean they are very strong. Miata rods are diminutive and are not known for surviving big power or RPM. See my old website for a comparison to a 323 GTX rod.

http://www.solomiata.com/Mx5Engine.html
    Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 09-26-2017, 09:02 AM.
    92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

What Randy said. Also all factory pistons are cast, including in the MSMs, so if you have forged pistons someone has had that engine open before. And why someone would install forged pistons and not rods makes no sense on these cars/engines.

Originally posted by miata5620
      Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Working...
      X