1.8 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8 swap

So I've read up on flyin miatas swap method, is it possible to use a 1.8 engine harness and EC you and connect that to the 1.6 body harness so that you have the proper ECU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slip 'N' Slide

The engine harness is wrapped up and spliced together with the main harness. There are easier ways to do the swap than the FM parts.

Comment

Originally posted by iscariot View Post
      The engine harness is wrapped up and spliced together with the main harness. There are easier ways to do the swap than the FM parts.
      So then couldn't you take a full 1.8 body harness and put it into a 1.6

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

You could - but there are a few interconnects to the dash harness that don't even line up between 94 and 96. It's just a lot of work to try and run a 1.8 ecu that honestly isn't much better than the 1.6.

Comment

What other options besides the FM kit is there?

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

I swear I've seen it mentioned a few places, but for the life of me I can't find it. It might've been a racecar mod where you won't care about idle air control and a/c.

Comment

Use all the 1.6 sensors on the 1.8 engine. Done. That's the typical simple and budget approach when swapping in a similar engine. It's what I did with a 2.0L Mazda engine swap.
              | 90 Miata | Turbocharged Stock Mazda FE-dohc 2.0L engine swap | 302whp 281ftlbs |

Comment

I know people do it with success, and I know how much work it is, but I personally would not run a 1.8 on a 1.6 ECU. Look hard as buffering for a megasquirt.
                The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
                http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by FE3tMX5 View Post
                  Use all the 1.6 sensors on the 1.8 engine. Done. .
                  This is what I would do IF I was giving up my 1.6, which I wouldnt. Megasquirt is next option if you want more fiddling.
                  Otherwise if I really require a 1.8 motor I would just buy a 1.8 car. A full harness swap is too much trouble for too little benefit.
                  If I did a Megasquirt then I would also do a VVT swap. NA8 motor is not an upgrade to a 1.6 IMO
                  Last edited by metalman; 06-19-2017, 12:11 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

The FM kit is less expensive than I recalled - for some reason, $300 was in my mind. The only major difference between the 1.8 and 1.6 is the idle control electrical-wise. You can make a case for a heated wire MAF being less restrictive than the flapper AFM - but if you're concerned about power you'd be better suited going megasquirt and VVT.

Comment

1.8 swap

I've got a 99 1.8 lined up with its trans still attached, 125k with a new head gasket, timing belt and water pump done at 100k, I ordered their kit today but it's backorder for a bit. Eventually I'll do a MS2 or MS3 but for the time being I'm trying to do this as low cost as I can, last things on the list are a 94-97 cross over pipe, 94-97 alternator and the MSD parts Flyin suggests to make VICS work. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do for header however.

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

The '01-05 OE header is quite good and worth it, unless you want to pay more for the aftermarket headers.

Comment

Originally posted by kung fu jesus View Post
                          The '01-05 OE header is quite good and worth it, unless you want to pay more for the aftermarket headers.
                          How would I go about making that mate up to an exhaust system? I picked 94 to 97 manifold, because flyin miata said with a cat it would bolt straight to a 1.6 exhaust

Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

I've got complete 99 or 01+ exhausts to bolt to the 99 motor.
                            David Luney - Suwanee GA
                            [email protected]
                            04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOTT97 View Post
                              How would I go about making that mate up to an exhaust system? I picked 94 to 97 manifold, because flyin miata said with a cat it would bolt straight to a 1.6 exhaust

That solution makes the most sense and is cheapest. You also need the 1.8 down pipe and cat or test pipe.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X