Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brakes to OEM Calipers, BBK, What is more cost effective long term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes to OEM Calipers, BBK, What is more cost effective long term?

I've tried to do a lot of my own research on the braking components of these cars and tracking them. I know I'd definitely be find right now with some Hawks or Carbotechs on OEM calipers and rotors with some Motul 600. But I've also now realized how expensive those track style pads are, as well as I plan on boosting the engine I'm currently building at some point and that could overwhelm a more OEM brake setup. I was looking for some opinions from someone who has been down a similar path, I'm curious what is more cost effective setup over time. I'd rather bite the bullet now if it means cheaper pads and better performance in those track situations.

Best bang for your buck, go with a full Sport brake setup from an NB2. Don't forget to include the larger booster and throw a brake proprtioning valve on it. Miata brakes are very forward biased, so using the proportioning valve, you can dial the bias rearward. Wilwood kits are great, I'd stick with the solid rotors, the drilled and slotted ones are for looks only. The best thing about the Wilwood kit is the ability to do rapid pad changes. This allows you to run a reasonable low dust pad on the street, then change them for super sticky, and high dust pads at the track. Unless you're going to do a lot of track days, and or boost your car to over 230 whp, upgrading to the later brake system, throwing on a larger booster, valve and stainless linesshould be more than adequate.
    Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
    RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

Don't overthink it. Sport brakes, solid rotors. Separate pads and rotors for track.

Comment

Working...
      X