Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Exocet MY/Platfrom

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Exocet MY/Platfrom

    I searched through all of the Exocet threads I could find on here, but didn't see one that discussed the merits of the various Model years and which make the best platform to do an Exocet build from. Any recommendations or is there a consensus on this already? Thanks for any replies.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • #2
    I'd assume, a 01+ car for everything and then an 90's chassis for the title so you never have to deal with Emissions.

    But I don't think that is the answer you want. Like all Miata questions, the question is do you plan to add boost. If so, then 95 and earlier is nicer due to lack of OBD2, otherwise I'd go with an 01+ for NA.
    1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

    Comment


    • #3
      Get the nicest donor you can find. You can make a great Exocet out of any NA or NB, and you can always swap parts out when upgrades are needed.

      I'd think the best combo would be (if only using OE Mazda parts) an 01 block with 99 head (due to hood clearance issues), 1.6 brakes, 5 speed, and 99-02 3.909 Torsen.

      The first Exo I was able to drive was Exomotive's bone stock 1.6 car - the first one. I don't know if they have that car still or not, but it was a freaking hoot, and it was a nothing special 1.6. It showed me that a cheap donor would be a great Exocet.
      Last edited by ben91; 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM.
      DIYAutoTune.com

      | 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
      | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
      | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ben91 View Post
        Get the nicest donor you can find. You can make a great Exocet out of any NA or NB, and you can always swap parts out when upgrades are needed.

        I'd think the best combo would be (if only using OE Mazda parts) an 01 block with 99 head (due to hood clearance issues), 1.6 brakes, 5 speed, and 99-02 3.909 Torsen.

        The first Exo I was able to drive was Exomotive's bone stock 1.6 car - the first one. I don't know if they have that car still or not, but it was a freaking hoot, and it was a nothing special 1.6. It showed me that a cheap donor would be a great Exocet.
        Thanks! I am definitely focused on finding the most mechanically sound car possible. Just wondered if the suspension, LSD, small engine changes, etc. from from year to year made any big difference. What about the thrust bearing issues on the 99-00s models?


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wildfire0310 View Post
          I'd assume, a 01+ car for everything and then an 90's chassis for the title so you never have to deal with Emissions.

          But I don't think that is the answer you want. Like all Miata questions, the question is do you plan to add boost. If so, then 95 and earlier is nicer due to lack of OBD2, otherwise I'd go with an 01+ for NA.
          Thanks! I have read a little about the OBD vs OBDII issues, but would you mind expounding a little? How would this affect FI?


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by belvnmx5 View Post
            Thanks! I am definitely focused on finding the most mechanically sound car possible. Just wondered if the suspension, LSD, small engine changes, etc. from from year to year made any big difference. What about the thrust bearing issues on the 99-00s models?


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            The odds of finding a motor with a bad factory thrust bearing at this point is extremely low. It was also well overblown in terms of chances of occurrence.
            FYI, that problem starts back in 96 or 97, not 99. The NA nutswingers used it in 99 to bash on the new NBs. The NB is the better chassis of the 2 generations, by far. But that is not important when you're doing a chassis swap.
            DIYAutoTune.com

            | 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
            | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
            | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

            Comment


            • #7
              If these fall under emissions, I'd start with an early NA, swap in the subframes and engine from an NB, run a standalone ECU.

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree with the feedback above. Also, I would start with the car that a) already has as many of the mods you want on your finished Exocet, and b) has the highest value of spares that can be sold off to recoup cash.

                I started my Eliminator build with a $1500 car and a head start on some of the modifications I wanted (Racing Beat header, upgraded swaybars, upgraded suspension, intake). It also had some really nice parts to sell off - near perfect canvas topc clean/straight body panels with good paint. I sold $5k worth of parts that I didn't need from that car, so I started the build $3500 in the black. More detail in my build thread.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by belvnmx5 View Post
                  Thanks! I have read a little about the OBD vs OBDII issues, but would you mind expounding a little? How would this affect FI?


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  OBD2 cars require the OBD port and stock ECU to pass emissions. OBD1 cars are tested via their exhaust gasses. So if you go FI on an OBD2 car you are more limited in your tuning opinions. Granted there are plenty of great options for OBD2 cars but if you ever want to make the jump to a standalone ECU on an OBD2 car you have to convert back each time you need to pass emission again.

                  As Ben as pointed out, just find the best sound donor you can. Every version of the Miata has some pros and some cons, and as Ben also pointed out, the "best Miata" tends to take from all the generations. The Nice part about the Miata, NA, and NB are fairly interchangeable and parts aren't stupidly expensive.
                  1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                  2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In GA. Exocets do not currently require emissions. Rick02R knows the recipe.

                    And if you are local I have a few donor options ready for you:
                    http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/sho...-2005-Miata-NB

                    David Luney - Suwanee GA
                    [email protected]
                    04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wildfire0310 View Post
                      OBD2 cars require the OBD port and stock ECU to pass emissions. OBD1 cars are tested via their exhaust gasses. So if you go FI on an OBD2 car you are more limited in your tuning opinions. Granted there are plenty of great options for OBD2 cars but if you ever want to make the jump to a standalone ECU on an OBD2 car you have to convert back each time you need to pass emission again.

                      As Ben as pointed out, just find the best sound donor you can. Every version of the Miata has some pros and some cons, and as Ben also pointed out, the "best Miata" tends to take from all the generations. The Nice part about the Miata, NA, and NB are fairly interchangeable and parts aren't stupidly expensive.
                      This makes A LOT more sense then the thread I was looking at on the big Miata forum. Thank you!


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by miatastuff View Post
                        In GA. Exocets do not currently require emissions.
                        Came here to say this.
                        2007 True Red Miata

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Any thoughts on this car as the donor?

                          https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/6043947002.html




                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by belvnmx5 View Post
                            Any thoughts on this car as the donor?

                            https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/6043947002.html




                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            If you're fine with OBD2 I'd go with David's (Miatastuff) donor he posted in this thread.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Slip 'N' Slide

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Big pass. Not a great blower, and did you see the exhaust work? Owner is clueless or skillless or both. You will also not get good value on the flat black body, which is where you recoup a lot of the outlay. The wheels are nice, but won't work on an Exocet.

                              I have a 99 with a fresh motor and a roll bar for about half that, if you're interested.
                              DIYAutoTune.com

                              | 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
                              | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
                              | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X