glass vs plastic soft top on 2005 mazda miata ls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glass vs plastic soft top on 2005 mazda miata ls

I just bought my first miata and it desperately needs a new top. Any information on the best place to get a new top, if it should be the glass or vinyl, and diy tips would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
    Nick

Rspeed is the bomb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slip 'N' Slide

Comment

If you can afford the difference I would go glass on a convertible top every time.
      sigpicLance
      2008 MX5 PRHT (sold)
      2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 Coupe
      1981 Morgan Plus 8, 2016 Morgan three wheeler

Comment

Glass top FTW. R*speed tops are a great value and not too difficult to work with.

Comment

I'd go glass, but zip out plastic can be really nice during summer. you can try and call Miata afterworld. I think they do more tops in the state that just about anybody so they normally have a very competitive price for a p.i.t.a. job
          1997 mx-5

Comment

While the cost of the actual top isn't too horrible, the installation cost will be eye opening. Don't get me wrong, Hector's installation skills at RSpeed are A+, but it's very labor intensive. I'd expect the installation cost to be north of $600.

The alternative ive is to buy a used top on a frame. You get out your socket set and unbolt about fifteen bolts and the old top comes off. Put the new to you top on, and put back all them bolts. Including cracking a beer, it should take you 30 minutes. Miatastuff ( Mr David Lunney) usually has a fair assortment of tops for sale, starting at around $300, and going up for cloth tops, instead of vinyl. Lots of folks total cars with brand new tops, let their loss be your gain!
            Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
            RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

Originally posted by oldgrayfrog View Post
              While the cost of the actual top isn't too horrible, the installation cost will be eye opening. Don't get me wrong, Hector's installation skills at RSpeed are A+, but it's very labor intensive. I'd expect the installation cost to be north of $600.

The alternative ive is to buy a used top on a frame. You get out your socket set and unbolt about fifteen bolts and the old top comes off. Put the new to you top on, and put back all them bolts. Including cracking a beer, it should take you 30 minutes. Miatastuff ( Mr David Lunney) usually has a fair assortment of tops for sale, starting at around $300, and going up for cloth tops, instead of vinyl. Lots of folks total cars with brand new tops, let their loss be your gain!
              yah they can be quiet pricey thats why i'd recommend miata afterworld, he tries to do as many tops as possible so his prices are always the lowest i think he's running a deal right now for the top plus install for 450 for a basic top
              1997 mx-5

Comment

Soft tops are super easy to install when they are on the frame already.
                sigpic

Comment

Finally got a glass window, now I prefer the zip out plastic. It is nice on a hot day to just drop the window, feel the breeze but not the sun. It always amazes me what a bikini top goes for. My non zip glass is a hard to open or close on a cooler to cold day. I heard with a canvas top you do not have this problem.

Comment

Try to close a vinyl rear window on a cold day, and you'll crack the vinyl and have a nice leaky top.
                    sigpic

Comment

True story. My na ripped the vinyl window in half while closing on a cold evening.

Comment

I've found best way to prevent tearing with the vinyl ones is if its cold is flip the top up but don't latch it down wait for like 5-10 minutes for it to kinda stretch it self out some and then latch it down. I don't know if it truly helps or not but always seems to make less of a straining sound after its let to sit for a few minutes
                        1997 mx-5

Comment

Has anyone offered a zip-out glass window? Or would the weight be too much for the zipper to remain reliable for the normal life of the top? I didn't like the vinyl window in my NA, having driven other ragtops w/glass windows, but I loved the ability to drop just the window at times.
                          06 True Red Touring - Eibach Springs & Sways - Koni Sports - Enthuzacar NC Cruiser Exhaust - Auto Exe wheel & shift knob - '13 Club Edition seats - Hella Supertones - a Protege5 used as the daily backpack.

Comment

For our customers, we really try to stress that whether they decide on glass or plastic window that they get a zipper.

With plastic windows, everyone knows about the creasing and chaffing damage you get with no zipper, but we also see a fair amount of unzippered glass windows pull out of their seams and cause leaks.

As for a heavy glass window being hard on the zipper, I can't speak for other brands, but Robbins zippers are twice the size of the old zipper and are really sturdy. It also helps if you unlatch your top before zipping and unzipping the window. It releases tension on the zipper.
                            Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 03-17-2017, 10:34 AM.
                            Originally posted by Beastinthebushes
                            Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

Comment

So Robbins does make a zippered glass rear window, cool! Learn something new every day...the owner of my old NA is (finally) needing a new top; the vinyl window cracked in the cold this winter (it's had a window protector since the day I got it to protect from the folded top stack). He drives it more w/the rear window down vs. top down.
                              06 True Red Touring - Eibach Springs & Sways - Koni Sports - Enthuzacar NC Cruiser Exhaust - Auto Exe wheel & shift knob - '13 Club Edition seats - Hella Supertones - a Protege5 used as the daily backpack.

Comment

Working...
                              X