No announcement yet.

clutch install preventative maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to know about the CAS plug. Seems strange that it would only come down the passenger side. I replaced the valve cover gasket when I did the cam (~1.5-2 yrs ago), and the drip did not change. I'll try to get a good look at that area and see if I can find any evidence of where it may be coming from. It looked like the header would be in the way when dropping the tranny, so in order to remove it I had to disconnect the egr tube.

Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Along with all the things mentioned, I typically go ahead and replace the transmission fluid and exhaust gaskets unless they're both just brand spankin' new.
    All fluids have been drained minus coolant and brakes. Exhaust gaskets will be replaced, except the manifold. The paper autozone gasket after the header held up exponentially better than the metal good-win gasket after the midpipe. I would not have expected that.
    2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
    2017 NV3500

Comment

Ah, yeah, you can maneuver the transmission down past the header, but that's a bit easier with a trans. jack or two people if you haven't ever done it that way before. Regarding the oil trail, it could be that the oil is traveling along a wiring harness or hose that's back there, the oil that was coming down the passenger side of my trans from that plug was traveling along one of the wiring harnesses.

Originally posted by miata5620
      Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Well damn, the leak WAS coming from that cap! And to think I used that as an excuse to swap out the clutch and flywheel. I'm guessing that bracket needs to stay to prevent the cap from falling out?
        2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
        2017 NV3500

Comment

It's just added insurance, the cap is press-fit.
          Last edited by iscariot; 12-04-2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

While your going down the slippery slope, you may as well pull the oil pan and check the bearings. Since the bottom end will be apart, you could just send it to the machine shop and have it all rebuilt. The problem with that is though, you're doing a ton of work and all you'll have when your done is a dinky 4 cylinder miata. It's a good time to swap in a v8. Once it's all said and done, you'll wonder why you spent all the time and effort on having 3/4 of a corvette when you can have the real deal, so you may as well just trade the thing in and have clean fingernails.
            The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
            http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

Comment

You're right. I should just sell it and the daily, and get an m2.
              2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
              2017 NV3500

Comment

So while Katie was putting the new CAS plug in last night, I was doing some stuff on the other side of the motor and found a much more obvious leak from top end of the rubber hose that goes down to the oil filter. It looks like maybe the hose clamp got old and ineffective, and oil has been spewing out all around that little hard to reach corner. Of course, the CAS plug that came out looked practically new, so I'm guessing that wasn't the contributing source to the annoying oil drip off the tranny.

Had a hell of a time last night pulling the tranny away from the motor. I read this morning that jacking up the front of the motor sometimes helps, so I'll give that a shot next.
                2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                2017 NV3500

Comment

Just FYI, the hose that goes to the oil filter housing carries coolant, not oil. But if oil had been getting on that hose it would have caused it to deteriorate and fail.

Originally posted by miata5620
                  Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
                    Just FYI, the hose that goes to the oil filter housing carries coolant, not oil. But if oil had been getting on that hose it would have caused it to deteriorate and fail.
                    Well damn...just when I thought I had it figured out. Thanks for telling me...the hose itself looked fine. Maybe I don't need to mess with it, and it's just oil there that leaked from elsewhere.
                    2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                    2017 NV3500

Comment

Working...
                    X