Nb miata good suspension and ride height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nb miata good suspension and ride height

I'm looking at the Bilstein B8 Sports shocks with 36mm bump stops and fm lowering springs. Flyin Miata also says, you can cut one whole dead coil without affecting anything other than just lowering the car more. To my understanding half a coil is 1/2" and one whole coil is 1". So I have 2 questions: do you think the Bilstein B8 Sport with Flyin Miata Springs will work well together, and the other question is fm says the ride height with the lowering springs are 12.5 front and 13 rear, if I cut half a coil on both springs it would put me at 12 front and 12.5 rear. A lot of people say that you need to have a half of an inch of difference, why is this? Because I would prefer to have the car 12 front and 12 in the rear as long as it does not take away from handling. I also have 15x8 25 offset wheels and 205-50-15 tires. I would like to get rid of wheel Gap front and rear without sacrificing handling. Thanks

What do you use the car for? Street driving? Autocross? Track days?

FM provides great tech support for their products. I would call them and get their input on your proposed setup.

The height differential effect that you describe above is called rake. Different drivers have different preferences. 949 Racing is pretty trusted for their setup advice and they advocate .25" positive rake. On a street car I doubt you would even notice the difference between 0 rake and .25" rake.
    sigpic

Comment

Cutting coils changes the spring rate. Spend the money on threaded sleeves.
      David Luney - Suwanee GA
      [email protected]
      04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Thanks I will call Flyin Miata. The car will be used for Street and autocross maybe a track day at some point.

Comment

Flyin Miata says you can cut one coil off without affecting spring rate. I am concerned with Flyin Miata spring rates being too low for how low I want to go.

Comment

12/12.5 isn't that low, I would trust the guys at FM. For an occasional track experience those rates should be fine and not beat you to death on the skreet.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by miatastuff View Post
              Cutting coils changes the spring rate. Spend the money on threaded sleeves.
              The FM springs (IIRC) are progressive rate and have at least 1 dead coil.
              DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
              | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
              | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

Thanks for the replys. It really helps. I am considering Ground Control sleeves too, but just trying to weigh the options whether or not I think it's worth the price.

Comment

My favorite budget setup is a set of Ground Control sleeves, KYB AGX shocks using NB top hats. Comfy enough for regular street use for a daily driver, with adjustability to take you to performance driving events. Yeah, a set of dedicated coilovers will take you to national level autox but until you're ready to compete nationally, the GC's are a great option!
                  Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
                  RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Comment

Originally posted by ben91 View Post
                    The FM springs (IIRC) are progressive rate and have at least 1 dead coil.
                    2 dead coils. I cut half on mine front and rear, nice height without scraping over everything.
                    The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
                    http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

Comment

Kyb agx and FM springs are a good street set up. If goal is to go low, take a look at the v-maxx from FM as well. The higher spring rates will a little better than cutting coils. V-maxx a lot better than KYB for those autox days. I'm more autox focused (not a daily driver) and was amazed by the impact of good shock/spring set ups. As stated by others, decide how you are going to use the car first. I'm on my 3rd setuo, Kyb-v max-xida.

Comment

When you get to those ride heights, remember to be mindful of your tire and wheel measurements. You will most likely want to roll your fenders to keep them off your tires when you load the suspension in hard corners.

Comment

Working...
                        X