turbo to manifold gasket....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo to manifold gasket....

....I know a lot of you don't run one. How much trouble am I looking at if we use one? What are the installation methods used by those folks who don't use a gasket?

Links to threads are perfectly fine! :D
    Originally posted by Beastinthebushes
    Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

Every turbo I r+r gets a new gasket. Unless the gasket is nla.
    Last edited by NA6R; 12-31-2012, 04:58 PM.
    "The MX5 has become the Civic/240 hacked turdbucket with a moron driver. Those who owned Miatas in the early 90s or even late 90s are likely much more aware of the magnitude of that change than others who 'discovered' the MX5 more recently of course. "

Comment

id use a quality multi layer steel gasket. it just makes sense.
      MS2, VVT, 650cc, Spec S3, MMR, 6 speed, 4.30, AEM , ARP, ... one day ill get a real turbo

Comment

MT.net wisdom is to not run one at all, they inevitably fail. You can use a thin layer of stovepipe cement (found mine at Ace hardware).

Comment

oems use a gasket...im not sure why running it without a gasket would be beneficial. i like my idea , a good mls gasket with new hardware, topped with some threadlocker and tqd to spec.
          MS2, VVT, 650cc, Spec S3, MMR, 6 speed, 4.30, AEM , ARP, ... one day ill get a real turbo

Comment

Originally posted by DecoyOctopus View Post
            im not sure why running it without a gasket would be beneficial.
            duh, it moves the turbine wheel closer to the exhaust port. It'll spool quicker!
            "The MX5 has become the Civic/240 hacked turdbucket with a moron driver. Those who owned Miatas in the early 90s or even late 90s are likely much more aware of the magnitude of that change than others who 'discovered' the MX5 more recently of course. "

Comment

If the surfaces are flat, no gasket is needed. IMO, adding a gasket adds something that can fail.

I think you see gaskets on OE stuff if they want to skimp on machining -- it only has to last for the warranty period.
              DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
              | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
              | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

I've only seen two kinds of turbo gaskets third party- single layer stainless steel with a ridged impression and composite. I've seen both fail and in short time. Went without a gasket after confirming flat surfaces on both the manifold and turbine, never had a leak.
                | 90 Miata | Turbocharged Stock Mazda FE-dohc 2.0L engine swap | 302whp 281ftlbs |

Comment

I have a brand new in the package T25 gasket if you would like it.
                  Car is being parted out! :baller:
                  1993 Turbo Build

Comment

Originally posted by ben91 View Post

I think you see gaskets on OE stuff if they want to skimp on machining -- it only has to last for the warranty period.
                    they cant really skimp on machining since turbine flanges and the manifolds themselves are casted out of sand molds. i can understand in theory that 2 machined surfaces will make a perfect seal but then again....id just feel crazy not using a gasket.

Comment

Only some OEMs use a gasket, not all do. Threadlocker also won't do anything near a turbo except get burned away, that's why proper hardware is important.

I'm in the no gasket crowd, it's been that way on every turbo car I've had with no problems. As stated, just make sure the two mating surfaces are flat and you're good to go.

Originally posted by miata5620
                      Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Originally posted by DecoyOctopus View Post
                        they cant really skimp on machining since turbine flanges and the manifolds themselves are casted out of sand molds.
                        The flanges are machined post casting. They don't come out of the casting flat.

i can understand in theory that 2 machined surfaces will make a perfect seal but then again....id just feel crazy not using a gasket.
                        Gaskets are only needed to seal imperfect mating surfaces.
                        DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

+1 on stage 8 locking hardware from FM.

...but I used a gasket. No machine shops close and I already had it. So we'll see how it lasts.

Comment

There are machine shops everywhere, look in the yellow pages. You don't have to use an automotive machine shop.
                            Get it machined flat and take the gasket out... Save yourself a lot of hassle later.

IIRC the hardware FM sells is 8mm. I prefer 10mm.
                            DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

Originally posted by ben91 View Post
                              There are machine shops everywhere, look in the yellow pages. You don't have to use an automotive machine shop.
                              Get it machined flat and take the gasket out... Save yourself a lot of hassle later.

IIRC the hardware FM sells is 8mm. I prefer 10mm.
                              They sell 10mm hardware there too. I bought it.

Comment

Working...
                              X