Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowered my Tein Basics, now cut spring bounce from hell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowered my Tein Basics, now cut spring bounce from hell.

So miatasaint and I lowered my car yesterday. Normally I'm used to coilovers that allow you to change the shock body length to lower the car, but the basics do not. I've got it pretty low, but now the damn thing bounces bad, its like cut springs on blown shocks bad. I'm guessing the only fix is to raise it back up and get a coilover that has an adjustable shock body length?

Bump stops.

Your options are:
    1. ditch the tein basics
    2. get ISC top hats in the rear
    3. raise the car

Comment

That is what I thought, I'm going to raise it up till the springs just contact the upper seats and have no preload. That really isn't that low, at that height I've got like 1.75 inches of wheel gap.

I guess I'll see if I can trade them to somebody who wants some nice softies for daily driving. I'm thinking I want fortunes...

Comment

PS I've got NB top hats so no bottoming out on the bumpstops, it just has the bounce from hell.

Comment

Ok I raised it back up a bit and it stopped. Guess I'll have to get something different if I want to go a bit lower.

Comment

Did you trim the bumpstops? I have basics with FM shockmounts out back and have no bouncing issues. I have been low enought to drag the framerails over speed bumps with no bouncing.

Comment

Originally posted by 2slow View Post
              Did you trim the bumpstops? I have basics with FM shockmounts out back and have no bouncing issues. I have been low enought to drag the framerails over speed bumps with no bouncing.
              I'm gonna order some isc racing top hats. How much should i trim off the bump stops when i put them on?
              Last edited by 91LudeSiT; 11-21-2012, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Lol... I'm right there with you on the belly jiggle bounce from hell.
                sigpic Fix 'em and break 'em

Comment

Originally posted by 91LudeSiT View Post
                  I'm gonna order some isc racing top hats. How much should i trim off the bump stops when i put them on?
                  If I remember correctly I trimmed about a inch and a half off them. But I have had these on three cars for about 80k miles so I may be a little off.

Comment

If I remember correctly I trimmed about a inch and a half off them. But I have had these on three cars for about 80k miles so I may be a little off.
                    I know isc says that they don't run bump stops. I'm not going to be that crazy. How was the ride after you installed them?

Comment

Well I can say after installing front and rear ISC top hats the car feels so solid now. I will warn everyone else that you will have to preload your springs with the basics to bring the height up to a reasonable level.

Comment

It's a little late now, but we run the ISC top hats on our race cars, and on some of our customers street Miatas. An inch or a little more trimmed off the bump stops sounds about right.
                        Originally posted by Beastinthebushes
                        Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

Comment

I actually ended up having to get a set of NB front bump stops and trim only a little bit off to keep it from bottoming out the control arms in the rear.

Comment

Working...
                          X