Methanol Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methanol Injection

Have any of you ever used water/methanol injection as a chemical intercooler in a "boosted" car? Are there any ill side effects? My tuner guy said that he could get another 80+ rwhp if I could lower my intake air temp.
    1991 with Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Ford conversion/ 382whp/376tq

I use(d) it on my car, will be running it again. I have a Devil's Own Progressive Kit. Works very well, although I never got it "tuned", so I was using it at a very small rate to stay safe. I did notice that it nicely dropped the IATs though. And as a nice side-effect, it kept the inside of my throttle body, intake manifold, and the tops of the pistons pretty damn clean. No power gain numbers for you though, sorry. Really, the butt dyno didn't feel a gain either, but then again, I wasn't using a lot of it.

Originally posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

tbone....just curious....when you gonna be putting a parachute on the back of that rocket?
      Originally posted by VERY FLUSH
      Trust me.my education is far surpass other people

Comment

I used it on my Mirage Turbo, and will be using it again when the new engine swap is complete. I also have a Devil's Own progressive kit.

I was able to run WAY more boost than my fuel setup should have been able to support. I was running sometimes up to 20psi on 450cc injectors and a 14B turbo...the only intercooler being the meth and a small SMIC that was literally getting no airflow. It definitely can be used as a liquid intercooler. My A/F ratios were probably pretty dangerous, but I wasn't getting any detonation. So if you are using the meth on top of an already near-sufficient fuel setup, you'll be good to go.

BTW, I was spraying Wal-Mart Supertech brand windshield washer fluid, usually starting around 10psi, and reaching full 120psi around 15psi.
        1991 UK-spec MX-5 - https://www.facebook.com/djinovaband <<< METAL!

Comment

Thanks for the info. My car is running a very "safe" tune. It is at 10degrees of base timing & 8psi of boost (which is the minimum amount of boost for that supercharger). Kenne Bell says the supercharger can be run up to 25psi. I don't think the rods could hold up under that much boost. I was wanting to get into the 12-14psi range safely.

Comment

Still having issues getting that thing to hook in any gear?
            ITBs RULE!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!
            I'm using ITBs on stock internals!!
            sigpic
            Chean Chay: they dont have pho in mexico
            Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
            -Ambrose Bierce
            here's the thing. if you disagree with someone's opinion, having better hair does not make you right. it makes you a ******bag.

Comment

Originally posted by FooSchnickens View Post
              Still having issues getting that thing to hook in any gear?
              Not really. It hooks pretty good until the boost starts to increase.

Comment

So, any time you press the gas pedal? :P
                ITBs RULE!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!
                I'm using ITBs on stock internals!!
                sigpic
                Chean Chay: they dont have pho in mexico
                Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
                -Ambrose Bierce
                here's the thing. if you disagree with someone's opinion, having better hair does not make you right. it makes you a ******bag.

Comment

Working...
                X