Mounting a harness in a Miata?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a harness in a Miata?

I picked up a pair of Corbeau Forzas today and I have a new Sparco 3 in. 5 point harness (wrap around). I'm ordering a harness bar from Bethania in a couple days, but the thing I can't figure out is how people mount the lap portion in a Miata.

G-Force sells these: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku. I thought about using those and the eye hooks that they also sell and bolting it to the floor.

How does everybody else do it?

First let me ask you, why do you want a 5 point harness for your Miata?
    "I've never seen anyone do that before... I've never seen someone drive there garbage to the street then beat the hell out of it."

Comment

You know what I have now lol.

But for those that don't mine are to the floor (stock mount locations)

Comment

on the drivers side, the left lap belt mount goes into the stock 17mm seatbelt bolt, the right one goes into the 5th seat mounting bolt.
        sigpic

Comment

The reason I ask is very important, if you’re not going to use the car for track use I would not recommend using a harness, and if you are going to use one, you really should be aware of the hazards of using one. However the mounting of your lap belt are very important, you need to be sure that the belts will load your body at the correct points if (God forbid) you’re in a crash.
          Also, if you crash your body will be restrained, but your head will not, you run a serious risk of what we in my field call a basilar skull fracture, which will cause instant death.
          "I've never seen anyone do that before... I've never seen someone drive there garbage to the street then beat the hell out of it."

Comment

Originally posted by N3v View Post
            on the drivers side, the left lap belt mount goes into the stock 17mm seatbelt bolt, the right one goes into the 5th seat mounting bolt.
            The what??...

Comment

Originally posted by Redraceface View Post
              The reason I ask is very important, if you’re not going to use the car for track use I would not recommend using a harness, and if you are going to use one, you really should be aware of the hazards of using one. However the mounting of your lap belt are very important, you need to be sure that the belts will load your body at the correct points if (God forbid) you’re in a crash.
              Also, if you crash your body will be restrained, but your head will not you run a serious risk of what we in my field call a basilar skull fracture, which will cause instant death.
              I usually write something like this in every harness thread lol, props. OP is smart though and I believe will be doing some track events.

Comment

makes sense to me, but i'm also kinda wasted.

ok ok ok, let me try this again. the lap belt part of the harness. its gonna have two uh, thingies on it, metal tabs that you put bolts through. unbolt the big seatbelt bolt on the left side, stick the tab onto the bolt, then put it back on. then do the same, except on that 5th seat bolt, the only bolt that isn't on the floor.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by simontibbett View Post
                  I usually write something like this in every harness thread lol, props. OP is smart though and I believe will be doing some track events.
                  Yeah, it’s how I make my living, and I cannot help but offer my expertise when I see this subject come up.

Comment

It's going to be driven mostly on the track and only occasionally to meets and such.

I wasn't really planning on using the 5th strap, just the normal four. Going to Summit this weekend to get the mounting tabs for the lap portion of it. The harness didnt come with them. :)

Comment

I would advise using the 5th strap it will help you to not slide under the belts and hold them in the right place, in fact it may sound like it would hurt, but you should have it come from directly under your butt.

Comment

Yeah uthe the ball strap Tommy, I don't want you to be hurt.

Comment

If you need a HANS devise I can help you get everything set up.

Comment

What's the head fracture thing you talk about? Just a recoil impact?

Comment

Originally posted by MX5ATLanta.com View Post
                              What's the head fracture thing you talk about? Just a recoil impact?
                              like he said, the body stops, but the head and neck keep moving, and it snaps like a whip, cracking the base of the skull or its surrounding bones. doesnt mean instant death, but death is common

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilar_skull_fracture

Comment

Working...
                              X