torsen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torsen

Anyone know of how much a good used torsen costs and where I might be able to find one? My open dif pissed me off tonight so it's gotta go now.
    '95 w/ now finished '99 swap, kyb agx's, flyin miata springs, sway bars, roll bar and more to come...sigpic

you'd be looking anywhere from $450 to $1000 for a complete rear diff. w/axles and axlenuts. Try Kurt.

Comment

I dont have one at the moment....that may change shortly.
      sigpic

Comment

open difs are very aggrivating
        '95 w/ now finished '99 swap, kyb agx's, flyin miata springs, sway bars, roll bar and more to come...sigpic

Comment

im with him^^
          "keep drifting fun......or else..." --Andy Sapp

Comment

I think there's a guy on roadsterdrift that has two, one without a housing. check there. diffs are very important with drifting so we usually have the low down on them.

But if you don't need the 1.8l swap stuff, I would highly recommending getting a kaaz or cusco 2-way. They're a world of difference and amazingly awesome.
            sigpic

Comment

JHOT had a couple 1.8 torsens for under $400. The only one they have online now is $527:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda...Q5fAccessories
              1991 UK-spec MX-5 - https://www.facebook.com/djinovaband <<< METAL!

Comment

If you need diff, driveshaft, and axles for a complete swap for a 1.6 car figure $750 and up, mostly up, especially after shipping is factored in.
                sigpic

Comment

he already has a 1.8 diff (99 car). But it's a 4.3 gear.
                  I'd recommend getting the OBX diff from ebay, they work great, a friend of mine had one on his FC and never had a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelgänger View Post
                    he already has a 1.8 diff (99 car). But it's a 4.3 gear.
                    I'd recommend getting the OBX diff from ebay, they work great, a friend of mine had one on his FC and never had a problem with it.
                    Dude, that's pretty cheap for a brand new helical lsd! Was it a huge PITA to install?

Comment

Doing Rear ends isn't too bad, haha sorry, if its similar to working on a nine inch which looks like it is just slightly smaller and will the ebay dif handle the power you put down mike?

Comment

I don't want a 2 way because even though they aren't as bad as welded difs they act very similar and i don't want to constantly drift.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangtomiata View Post
                          Doing Rear ends isn't too bad, haha sorry, if its similar to working on a nine inch which looks like it is just slightly smaller and will the ebay dif handle the power you put down mike?
                          I have the factory TorSen 3.9 in my car.

Originally posted by MoD_Scotty View Post
                          Dude, that's pretty cheap for a brand new helical lsd! Was it a huge PITA to install?
                          My friend installed it himself at the dealership he worked at. He said the install wasn't all that bad, but he did have to ask one of the master techs to set the proper backlash. He had it on his FC which saw a TON of abuse from drifting and it never had a problem.

FYI, there aren't that many places where diffs are built. Kinda like refridgerators...there are 2387 brands, but only 2 or 3 the factories in the world that actually manufacture them. I've heard that come from the same factory as the Bosch units.

Comment

Originally posted by MoD_Scotty View Post
                            No he never had a problem with the install or driving it. I will also agree with Mike that the car saw a lot of abuse. The owner of the FC was my old roommate and the car saw a a few good drift days and plenty of mountain runs.

+1 for the OBX
                            1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
                            2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

It's tempting, but I think I would still probably just find a complete torsen diff, for two reasons:

1) Very easy swap...no need to crack open the diff and deal with backlash and other diff mysteries.
                              2) I can sell the OEM diff to defray some of the costs of the upgrade.

I really wish I had picked up one of the <$400 ones that JHOT had :(
                              Last edited by MoD_Scotty; 01-12-2009, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X