new DIY exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new DIY exhaust

I've been running a cheap restrictive "turbo" muffler for a while. It was getting louder, which is usually a sign it's coming apart and I was ready to relieve some back pressure in the exhaust for the turbo. I got a giant magnaflow 3" straight through muffler from my dad for Xmas (christmas list ftw). It measures ~6x12x22 and I managed to get it in there w/o any big turns in the exhaust. Also used the two stock hangers on the pax side.

| 90 Miata | Turbocharged Stock Mazda FE-dohc 2.0L engine swap | 302whp 281ftlbs |

nice! How does it sound?

Comment

On jackstands and at idle, it sounds good. Quiet. :D I've been doing other stuff while it's up there. But I'll have it down this weekend and shoot some vid. I'm curious, because I know that a muff like this can sound incredibly quiet w/o load, but get on it and it's like jekyll and hyde.
      | 90 Miata | Turbocharged Stock Mazda FE-dohc 2.0L engine swap | 302whp 281ftlbs |

Comment

thats the reputation of magnaflows, everyone always says they're quiet until you get on it.
        sigpic

Comment

Looks nice and functional. Want to build me an exhaust? :clap:
          93LE | 9psi | 16g turbo | MSPNP w/ IAT, EBC, vTPS, HR10g | 11"x12"x3" core FMIC
          R-pkg Bilsteins | 300f/220r 2.5" springs | FCM sleeves/perches/mounts/bumps | frame rail reinf.
          4.10 Torsen | 2¼" Maganflow cat & ebay exhaust | Mishimoto rad

Comment

I think you need a bigger exhaust tip...
            1995 Triple Black Miata

Comment

Originally posted by BFH miata View Post
              I think you need a bigger exhaust tip...
              maybe with some LEDs too. :lol:

The enthuza magnaflow on my former NA definitely could make some noise under acceleration. But it was totally reasonable.
              DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
              | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
              | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Comment

LE - I'll build you an exhaust while you drop my subframe and fix my leaky oil pan. ;) Seriously though, I owe you one. :D

Bigger tip... well that's just steel 16ga pipe. I didn't have any stainless so I used that until I get some. But I was going to leave it at 16ga stainless. I don't know that I've any room the way I set it up. I tucked it up in there, so it's snug. And I'm sure there's no room for leds. :D

I'm ok with loud under full load. My cheap muff was starting drone at any load and rpm - annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by FE3tMX5 View Post
                  LE - I'll build you an exhaust while you drop my subframe and fix my leaky oil pan. ;) Seriously though, I owe you one. :D
                  Ha, you owe me nothing. I probably slowed you down more than anything :lol:
                  R-pkg Bilsteins | 300f/220r 2.5" springs | FCM sleeves/perches/mounts/bumps | frame rail reinf.

Comment

lightweights....

(yes, you're seeing that right. That's the cat AND the catback ;))

:D
                    Last edited by amaff; 01-09-2009, 09:12 AM.
                    ~Andrew
                    Atlanta Region SCCA
                    D Prepared Miata

Comment

Wouldn't want that as a DD!

Comment

That looks similar to the exhaust I ran on my ITA Miata, except yours has a cat and a muffler. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by FE3tMX5 View Post
                          That looks similar to the exhaust I ran on my ITA Miata, except yours has a cat and a muffler. ;)
                          lol yup. If you want to call it a muffler. It's a bullet muffler, basically a perforated 2.25" tube. You can look straight through it. But yeah, the cat hast to stay for STS.
                          ~Andrew
                          Atlanta Region SCCA
                          D Prepared Miata

Comment

Originally posted by ben91 View Post
                            maybe with some LEDs too. :lol:
                            How did I forget those?

Seriously, it looks good, I'm interested to see what it sounds like.
                            1995 Triple Black Miata

Comment

It is ultra quiet cruising around at an absolute normal joe driving speed and load. I'm amazed at how quiet it is. There's no interior drone or even low bass noise from the exhaust under this type of driving. So that's fixed the problem with the other muffler that was bugging me. I didn't have time to get the oil warmed up and get on it though for the heavy load loudness test. Oh- and it's pretty much invisible from the rear, I did a good job of keeping tucked up high.

Comment

Working...
                              X