triangle powered 4 door miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• triangle powered 4 door miata

I picked up this series 2 sport model with under 30k miles for about what a decent na/nb miata sells for these days. It was a florida car with a rebuilt title in excellent shape minus a lovetap on the front right corner. Once I jump through the registration hoops it will be a street/track car. Might even take it down to florida one day when I visit my family down there and hit sebring or palm beach international.

So far I've pulled the air pump, added a catless resonated midpipe, new tires, and an aluminum undertray. Fortune auto 500 coils are on the shelf and will go on after the 1st track event. Even in basically stock condition it's a hoot to drive, and of course shooting flames is kinda neat (though once tuned I think it looses that trait).

2017-12-05_09-01-03 by Eric Ferris, on Flickr
    2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
    2017 NV3500

Looks great Eric! I've been waiting to see pics of this thing.

Also your thread title made me go WTF!?!
    sigpic

Comment

Great choice for a trackcar. Stiffest chassis Mazda ever produced if I remember correctly. Tune to keep the flames!
      '00 Black NB, Track/Street car.
      It seems like the most powerful weapon in the universe is speed. Move something fast enough and it will obliterate anything

Comment

Came here expecting this:

Still leaving satisfied.

Comment

It's definitely faster than the miata was. My best time at AMP in the (well prepared) miata was a 1:40.0. With just 2 sessions of hot laps in the rx-8 I turned a 1:39.87. Katie and I each drove 3 sessions, but during my 2nd session the car was having fuel starvation issues and couldn't complete a lap without the throttle cutting off completely for around 5 seconds. This seemed strange since the fuel guage indicated I still had over half a tank. 9 gallons of fuel later and it was running great again.
          2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
          2017 NV3500

Comment

Welcome to the cult of the magic spinning triangles!

Fuel starvation is a common issue with these. When I was tracking my '05, I would get fuel starvation at 1/4-3/8 of a tank. Usually I would fill up before the first session and again during lunch and wouldn't have a problem, but that was just me driving and not doing double duty. Also, you need to check the gauge in the pits. It isn't always accurate on track.

There is a decent rotary group in north Atlanta that meets a couple of times a month, if you are interested. Check out "Dinner and Doritos" and "OGTA" on facebook

Comment

A 1:39! That's excellent! Is that on stock suspension & street tires?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomgt356 View Post
                Welcome to the cult of the magic spinning triangles!

Fuel starvation is a common issue with these. When I was tracking my '05, I would get fuel starvation at 1/4-3/8 of a tank. Usually I would fill up before the first session and again during lunch and wouldn't have a problem, but that was just me driving and not doing double duty. Also, you need to check the gauge in the pits. It isn't always accurate on track.

There is a decent rotary group in north Atlanta that meets a couple of times a month, if you are interested. Check out "Dinner and Doritos" and "OGTA" on facebook
                Thanks. I actually didn't notice much of a difference in the gauge reading on vs off track. It still read a hair over half full at the gas station when I put in 9 gallons. So the gauge isn't super accurate (16.9 gal tank) but not horrible.

Originally posted by nickt93 View Post
                A 1:39! That's excellent! Is that on stock suspension & street tires?
                Thanks Nick. On my first session I was in disbelief when I looked at the timer an saw I was into the 1:40s...with katie in the car. It just did not feel that fast. I figured the car would be in the 1:43s. Didn't even bother taking out the child seats, scissor jack, etc. Just pulled the drivers floor mat and tools out. Super consistent too, I had multiple laps under 1:40 that last session with just me in the car. Stock suspension, unknown alignment, unknown brake pads, 340tw firestone indy 500 summer tires.

edit: "unknown brake pads" were actually OE sumitomos
                Last edited by eyeballs; 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM. Reason: updated info
                2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                2017 NV3500

Comment

And 5 mos after acquiring the car I finally have a registration and title! The joys of out of state rebuilt titles...
                  2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                  2017 NV3500

Comment

Originally posted by eyeballs View Post
                    And 5 mos after acquiring the car I finally have a registration and title! The joys of out of state rebuilt titles...
                    Congrats! I gave up on the last out of state rebuilt one and just parted it :-(.
                    David Luney - Suwanee GA
                    [email protected]
                    04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Curious: What is the real obstacle or obstacles in process?
                      | 90 Miata | Turbocharged Stock Mazda FE-dohc 2.0L engine swap | 302whp 281ftlbs |

Comment

Mainly paperwork back and forth from atlanta. The car needs to be inspected. In my case I had to chase down an airbag light first (eventually gave up and brought it to the dealership). Then a bunch of paperwork needs to be sent in, which takes up to 4 wks to process. If the slightest error is in the paperwork, they just send it back. Then I got a bill for the taxes (tavt) which was paid through the mail, though I think last time (with the green miata) I was able to pay that at the tag office after I had the title. Once that was received they sent me the title, which I could take to the tag office and then get registration/tag.
                        2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                        2017 NV3500

Comment

Ah- so in your case it mostly tedious. I just wondered if they were questioning repairs done out of state by somebody else.
                          | 90 Miata | Turbocharged Stock Mazda FE-dohc 2.0L engine swap | 302whp 281ftlbs |

Comment

Added a few goodies. Secondhand fortune auto 500 coilovers with swift springs, valved for custom rates (9k/7k). Progress front bar with awr links. I had fortune auto make me some extended length lowers to help with a fender liner interference issue on one corner and more street friendly ride height. Their customer service is awesome. Kosei k5r wheels were on sale at tire rack so I grabbed the last set of 17x9 and had 235 rs4s mounted. If anyone has interest in the stock 18x8 set let me know.

2018-02-25_07-49-00 by Eric Ferris, on Flickr

2018-02-25_07-49-30 by Eric Ferris, on Flickr
                            Last edited by eyeballs; 02-25-2018, 07:06 AM.
                            2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                            2017 NV3500

Comment

So at AMP it turned out the rs4s and suspension was only good for 1 second improvement, and fuel starvation was worse (3/4 tank). I took the car to road atlanta for a track night event and due to the lack of long left sweepers I had no fuel starve issues which was super nice. Best time was 1:50.2, with the stoptech pads being a limiting factor. I'll probably try g-loc r10/r8 setup next, or put the stock wheel/firestone tire setup back on until I use up the current pads. I also got to drive a 2017 m2 on track, which was awesome to say the least.

Before the road atlanta event I installed an upgraded koyo radiator along with some foam. It seemed to really help, as I noticed coolant temp never got above 203, when at previous events in cooler weather it was a good bit higher. At this point I feel pretty good about going double run groups again, though keeping enough fuel in at AMP could be an issue. I may just put in a new fuel pump assembly in hopes of making some kind of improvement with that issue.

Next month is a time trial event at NCM, which looks super fun. If anyone has camping tips for that track let me know.
                              2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                              2017 NV3500

Comment

Working...
                              X