Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hulk!

New obxt! by Eric Ferris, on Flickr

Just picked up this outback xt from texas. Its matte green, fast, and will soon be a beast on and off road!
    2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
    2017 NV3500

In an attempt to get rid of extreme shifter slop, today I replaced the tranny mount, crossmember bushings, front and rear shift bushings, shift linkage/joint, and installed a short shift lever. Hardened group-n pieces and polyurethane for all but the linkage joint. And still a bunch of slop!! After searching a bit I realized some dummy used a bolt and nut through the linkage joint where a spring pin should have been.
    2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
    2017 NV3500

Comment

Throwout bearing started making noise, so now it has a new clutch and flywheel. Radiator has also been replaced, along with aluminum front control arms. Stiffer excel-g dampers for a 2nd gen went on with new mounts and rallitek springs. STi catless up-pipe was installed along with a cobb ap stage 1 tune. The car has been so much fun to drive.

Unfortunately it recently had an overheating episode that was solved by putting in a new OE thermostat and radiator cap. And now suddenly there is a hesitation with >70% throttle application. I tried cleaning the maf but no help. 2 days later the center stack electronics are going haywire. I'm going to start checking grounds. I suck at electronics so hopefully I won't have to bring it in to have that addressed. Once that stuff is resolved I plan on adding swaybars and a downpipe....though it may be awhile since the rx-8 is more likely to get attention these days.
      2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
      2017 NV3500

Comment

After having a timing belt service done and a few leaks fixed, last weekend the car lost a quart of oil in about 1.5 tanks of gas. It's always had a variable oil consumption issue but it wasn't horrible and I was hoping once the leaks were fixed it would be "normal". I'm guessing it's got ringland failure and will need a new block at some point in the near future. So now I'm trying to decide on fixing it, or just getting a new car that will be significantly more expensive but at least have a warranty. The only reaslistic one that ticks all necessary boxes of awd, stick, wagon, adequate power, and acceptable ground clearance is the new golf alltrack. Which I test drove and was underwhelmed, though the one I drove was an auto. Dilemma.
        Last edited by eyeballs; 12-29-2017, 08:48 AM.
        2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
        2017 NV3500

Comment

Drove it to disney last week with no issues, power is still good. I installed an air/oil separator and grp n pitch mount before leaving. Oil consumption was about a quart per 500 miles. I'm going to get a new forester with the 6mt. Steering ratio is 14.0:1 which sounds crazy. Haven't driven one yet, though yesterday I got in a '15 xt which felt good but slower than I was expecting. I need to stop screwing around with the daily until I can get the rx-8 sorted. If anyone wants this, let me know. It might be a week or two before I can get an ad up.
          2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
          2017 NV3500

Comment

I've been reading up on Rotella and it seems that a lot of Subaru guys are using that in their cars to deal with consumption problems. I'm sure you already knew that though.....

Comment

Thanks. I've been using rotella for years. Even in the miata.

I just put the car up on a local suby forum for $4850 obo. Hopefully I can shoot some photos this weekend and get it up on craigslist.
              2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
              2017 NV3500

Comment

That's why I was researching it. I was thinking about using it in my NB. You gonna get back in a Miata?

Comment

Originally posted by MARKS_NB View Post
                  You gonna get back in a Miata?
                  I'm sure some day I will, but in the meantime I am loving the rx8.
                  2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
                  2017 NV3500

Comment

Working...
                  X