I found my way back... in a 2013 Liquid Silver Metallic Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found my way back... in a 2013 Liquid Silver Metallic Club

Approximately one year has passed since I sold my NC. I purchased it new in '07 (it was a leftover '06) and it was my garage queen. When I finally crossed the 30k mile mark, I decided it was time to sell. I wasn't driving it much, so the time had come. So long, Samantha.

The year went by and I was lonely. I've been driving my Mazda 6s for the last 12 years. Lola is a champ with 185k+ on the odometer. I'm still driving her on a daily basis. However, the garage needed something new. Well, not necessarily new, although that's what I usually buy, but at least something additional. I'd sometimes take Cate's Focus ST for poops and giggles, but thats not a car to compare to a Miata. So, the search began.

I was all over the place. NA, NB, NC, and ND. I almost bought the ND, but it just didn't press my buttons quite the right way yet. Perhaps in 2018 or 2019, but not yet. After months of looking at various cars, I finally found it.

I introduce to you: Alexa. We will call her Lexi. 2013 NC Club PRHT 6spd manual in Liquid Silver Metallic. 16,500 miles. While still an NC, the PRHT, 6spd, and LSD differential this one from the '06 Touring I had.

This was purchase day, May 20th, 2017. We drove to Nashville to get it.

The seller already did a few minor modifications including:

• Smart Top Module
    • Homelink/auto dim mirror
    • Weather Tech front mats
    • Moddiction sideview mirrors
    • Hella Supertones
    • Mazdaspeed pedals

I removed the pedals and put the OE black ones back on. I also added my home brew clutch pedal pad so I could scoot the seat back one notch. Thank you, $1 foam flip flops.

I spent this weekend detailing and getting it just right. The detail process included these products:

• McCulloch MC1275 steamer
    • Detailers Pro APC 10:1
    • Chemical Guys Innerclean
    • Sprayway Glass Cleaner
    • Meguairs D110 Hyper Wash (I don't like it that much)
    • MTM Foam Cannon with Greenworks 1600psi pressure washer
    • CarPro Hydro2
    • Nanoskin Blue
    • HD Speed
    • Collinite 845
    • Meguiars D170 Hyper Dressing 4:1
    • Mothers Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner
    • Lake Country white flat pad
    • Chemical Guys Hexlogic black pad
    • Various microfiber towels, wash pad, brushes, etc
    • Harbor Freight DA polisher with the grease mod

I started with the interior and did a vacuum, steam, and wipe down.

I did a light cleaning on the engine compartment. It didn't need much.

It looks like the previous owner tried to wax the black trim, so I took some time to remove that white mess.
    Full exterior wash.

I used the Nanoskin blue to remove any contaminants on the paint. The Nanoskin is awesome. I'm done with clay. Nanoskin has proven itself far superior to clay for me. My lubricant was simply a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid.

I polished the car with HD Speed and a Lake Country white flat pad. The results were quite good, especially for an AIO (all in one) product.

I've found the protection from HD Speed is lacking, so I topped with Collinite 845. Man, the car is slick!

I put the car up on the QuickJack and removed the wheels. We did a full cleaning on those and finished them with CarPro Hydro2 for protection and to make cleaning easier.

I finished the tires in Hyper Dressing, diluted 4:1. They need a second coat, but I don't like shiny tires. For me, satin is the way to go.

Finally, I plastidipped the front and rear emblems. I also removed the MX-5 badge.

I'm pleased with the results. We took the car out last night for dinner and a few photos.

If you’d like to see all of the photos, they are here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskW9cENg

Next up is window tint. The "I'm thinking about it" list includes:
    • Suspension
    • Wheels
    • Head unit
    • Speakers

For the most part, it will stay like it is. It won't get tracked. It'll be a garage queen, but likely driven much more than the previous NC.

MOST importantly, there were a few people here that offered opinions, suggestions, and valuable time during my search for a car. You know who you are and I appreciate all of your efforts. Thanks guys!

Thanks for reading! It's good to be back in a Miata!
    Last edited by CaveRacing; 07-01-2017, 05:51 PM.
    - Lee -
    '13 Liquid Silver Metallic Club PRHT | SOLD!
    '06 Sunlight Silver Touring | Mazdaspeed springs & sways | SOLD!

Very nice! And thanks for the reference list!
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    [email protected]
    04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

Finally, the big reveal! You picked out an absolute awesome one! Love the name too!
      '00 Silver Miata

Comment

Very Exciting! Looks fantastic.
        sigpic
        Current: 1994 Merlot (Turbo) Sold: Red '02 Turbo | 2010 - 2015 ~~~ 987 Boxster | 2012-2014 ~~~ Z4 ///M Roadster | 2015 - 2015 ~~~ Z4 3.0i (18k miles!)| 2018-2018 ~~~ 2006 Miata (Laci) | one track day ~~~ Exocet (Turbo!) | 2015-2019

Comment

Congratulations!! It looks amazing! Can't wait to see it in person.

Originally posted by miata5620
          Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Great looking car. Looks like my car in a club.
            Congrats man. Hope to see it at our next meet.
            2020 Jet Black Mica GT RF

Comment

Originally posted by miatastuff View Post
              Very nice! And thanks for the reference list!
              Thanks! And no problem! If you have any questions about any of the products, just let me know. I'm no pro, but I've definitely improved my technique over time and I love trying new products to find what works the best for me.

Originally posted by Sierra_Bravo View Post
              Finally, the big reveal! You picked out an absolute awesome one! Love the name too!
              Thanks, Stu! I can't take credit for the name. Cate thought of Alexa, so I figured "Lexi and Lola" was pretty good. :)

Originally posted by Rick02R View Post
              Very Exciting! Looks fantastic.
              Indeed, it is! Thanks, Rick!

Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
              Congratulations!! It looks amazing! Can't wait to see it in person.
              Thank you, sir! You should come up to the next East Cobb meet! It's a haul for you, but it would great to see you there. Of course, I need to get my happy @ss down to your side of town, too!

Originally posted by jester911 View Post
              Great looking car. Looks like my car in a club.
              Congrats man. Hope to see it at our next meet.
              Yep, it is very similar to yours! It took me a while to find a Liquid Silver, and I almost pulled the trigger on a black GT, but the silver always speaks to me.

We should be there! And this time we won't have to show in a non-Miata/Focus ST!
              - Lee -
              '13 Liquid Silver Metallic Club PRHT | SOLD!
              '06 Sunlight Silver Touring | Mazdaspeed springs & sways | SOLD!

Comment

More NCs are popping up every day around here. :cheers:

Originally posted by CaveRacing View Post
                Thanks! And no problem! If you have any questions about any of the products, just let me know. I'm no pro, but I've definitely improved my technique over time and I love trying new products to find what works the best for me.

Thanks, Stu! I can't take credit for the name. Cate thought of Alexa, so I figured "Lexi and Lola" was pretty good. :)

Indeed, it is! Thanks, Rick!

Thank you, sir! You should come up to the next East Cobb meet! It's a haul for you, but it would great to see you there. Of course, I need to get my happy @ss down to your side of town, too!

Yep, it is very similar to yours! It took me a while to find a Liquid Silver, and I almost pulled the trigger on a black GT, but the silver always speaks to me.

We should be there! And this time we won't have to show in a non-Miata/Focus ST!

Comment

It looks awesome. I need to detail mine. It has been a long time.
                  If I'm not in the Miata, I'm out dragging my knee.

Comment

Car looks good, dude!
                    sigpic
                    No matter how many friends you think you have, the size of your funeral will depend on the weather.
                    Originally posted by sharkythesharkdogg
                    I don't want some dude's balls on my neck while I'm yelling at some Vietnamese guy.

Comment

So fresh and so clean.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CaveRacing View Post
                        I've been wanting to go to one but they haven't worked out with our crazy schedule yet. Maybe once I have a non-crunched Miata I'll be able to get up there. And you guys are always welcome to come down!

Originally posted by miata5620
                        Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Come on up Rip!

Comment

Lookin good!
                            2007 True Red Miata

Comment

Now that I know what it is, I don't know how I didn't guess it earlier! Haha looking good sir!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X