• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simontibbett
    Banned
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by MX5ATLanta.com View Post
    Cool. Hope you get it fixed up and running soon. Hows the Skip Barber thing work? I thought it was just a driver education program.

I'ld go for budget turbo kit for a bit more track power.
    They have racing schools, graduate from the 3 day school and you get your SCCA license. Then they have formula and MX5 series, with a ladder program, allowing drivers with talent to earn funded rides and move up. People like Marco Andretti ran in this program some.

Comment

• simontibbett
      Banned
      • Jul 2008

Ok well update.

I decided to take a chance and take the head off a used motor I bought, put it on my bottom end. I cleaned it very well, all new gaskets, blah blah, well finally got it all back together, and it was knocking (bottom end) so now have to pull my bottom end out and put the head on the used engine I bought. Plus swap over all the other stuff and put it back in. Hopefully it will be done Thursday, this weather has dampened my progress, I bought new headgasket (again), rear main seal, crank seal, tstat gasket, water pump, blahhhh you name it. Anything outside of the motor is new lol.

So I will start putting it all together and drop the new engine in. Maybe take it to the mountains this weekend and beat its ***. Doing something extreme with it, it's my birthday weekend.

Comment

• redrumracer
        Fourth Gear
        • Jul 2008

well hopefully youll get it done, maybe you should take it to the dyno day.

Comment

• simontibbett
          Banned
          • Jul 2008

Oh yeah I forgot about that, I may show up.

Comment

• simontibbett
            Banned
            • Jul 2008

Oh and I have some extremely weird goodies coming for it lol.

Comment

• simontibbett
              Banned
              • Jul 2008

March 4, 2009:

Got the old engine out with tranny and everything, cleaned engine bay real well, and will begin swapping parts over to the new motor. Should all be done today (5th) and back on the road.

Comment

• Pitt
                Third Gear
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by simontibbett View Post
                Oh and I have some extremely weird goodies coming for it lol.
                Glowing sniper hood scoops?

Metal Diamond plated floor mats???:biggrin:
                91 BRG #3240
                Have you ever seen a guy driving a Mazda Miata and thought, “man, I wish that was me!”? Neither have I.
                Aside from the fact that this car screams “I’m fabulous!” from every angle, this car was made for the guy who wants to drive down the coast with his new scarf from Wal Mart flapping in the breeze. If you own a Miata you're one of three things: in the closet, a woman, or a ******bag.

Comment

• simontibbett
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2008

Better.

Comment

• Pitt
                    Third Gear
                    • Feb 2009

Your getting it wrapped and advertising for soulja boy?
                    91 BRG #3240
                    Have you ever seen a guy driving a Mazda Miata and thought, “man, I wish that was me!”? Neither have I.
                    Aside from the fact that this car screams “I’m fabulous!” from every angle, this car was made for the guy who wants to drive down the coast with his new scarf from Wal Mart flapping in the breeze. If you own a Miata you're one of three things: in the closet, a woman, or a ******bag.

Comment

• simontibbett
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2008

Update on the stupid piece of ****:

-Found a broken destroyed pilot bearing, put new one in. Had to run around for an hour to find a stupid little bearing. I call AutoZone:

"Yeah I am seeing if you all have a pilot bearing for a 1990 Mazda Miata?"
                      "Ok one moment..." (Guy on phone)..."it's a rotary right?"
                      "Ummm no M-I-A-T-A it has a 1.6 I-4..."
                      "Oh ok, well some came with rotaries...but yeah I have two in stock."

LMFAO um NO YOU DUMB ****.

Anyway this is the AutoZone across town so I drive all the way over there, downtown is a MAD HOUSE for some reason, get there, nope we don't have any in stock I will order you one. NO THANKS!

Advance had 12 (it's a generic bearing anyway) for $5.00 so got one.

-THEN I am getting ready to put the crank pulley on and it doesn't work, because mine is short nose this is long. ******* roadblock again.

-PLUS the front crank seal I bought doesn't fit, so I have to order a new one.

SO, I got the head on, waterpump, starter, alt, etc etc. I still have a Miata on jack stands with a tranny laying there, a bottom end, now a motor, etc.

So much trouble for so little fun.

Comment

• simontibbett
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2008

Ok. UPDATE.

Got the parts I needed thanks for a member on here in a very quick fashion and it was all I needed.

Engine is now in the car as of Saturday morning, was my birthday and girlfriend stayed here all weekend so car goes last, took a break from it, will continue finishing it up tomorrow I hope.

Comment

• simontibbett
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2008

UPDATE:

Got the car started Monday night, it was running rough and on jack stands so I couldn't drive it but it started, no knocks, no weird noises or smoke.

Drove the car yesterday, ran great, very nice power, feels quicker then previous engine. Somehow my front seal is leaking like a ***** and it's brand new, I guess I will put another in and see what happens.

Comment

• amaff
                            Lives On MX5Atlanta.com
                            • Jul 2008

you sure you have the right front main for the crank you have? did it fit snug or was there a gap? I ask because when I ordered my oil pump from mazdaspeed here's what I had on a long nose crank (it was a big nose oil pump):

It should be a pretty snug fit. In fact, I broke my first, correct main seal sliding it on the crank b/c I didn't lurb everything up and it got caught on the lip of the crank. fail.
                            ~Andrew
                            Atlanta Region SCCA
                            D Prepared Miata

Comment

• simontibbett
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2008

Yeah I had the right one, fit real snug, but who knows I could have put it in a tad bit crooked and it tore or bound up. I will have to check. It's not POURING out oil but a nice drip when running. Shouldn't be too bad to swap them back out.

Comment

• simontibbett
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2008

Update:

Nothing much to update lol, waiting for a fix on the coolant leak, put in a gauge pod under the radio, and it should be running safely in a few days. It runs GREAT though, idles smooth, runs smooth, has really nice power for a NA 1.6, feels a lot stronger then my old motor.

Comment

Working...
                                X