Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The car with which I hope to give every weenie a heart attack with

Also known as my BRG.

It all started in January of 2007 when my Red 91 met an untimely end when I hit a tree. The front passenger corner was fubar'd. At the time I was in and out of the country doing network installations for a hotel chain in France so I luckily didn't need to have a car 24/7.

I already had ITBs on it along with Tein Flex so it was pretty well set up and all these parts could swap over.

That video is a pretty good indication of the sound these thing make. I still had a stock exhaust at that point so that's really all motor making that. I need to make a new video for the BRG like that now...

Fortune was on my side, however, because only a few weeks later I discovered a peach of a BRG mere miles from my house. Needless to say I snatched it up.

If was a fully loaded car with all the available options: hard top, full cockpit tonneau, soft top boot, etc. I even have the newspaper clipping where the previous owner bought it from the original owner a mere three months after it came off the showroom floor.

I immediately got to work swapping over parts from my old car. First up was the roll bar which should be EVERY Miata owners FIRST modification.

After the roll bar went in, it was off to France again for a month. While I was there, I picked up a couple parts online so they would be waiting for me back home.

I picked up a vinyl stripe kit off ebay to help me determine if I would like the look on the car before I shelled out for a paint job. After I got back I slapped it all on and also put on some wheels that Joe gifted me because he knows you gotta roll right, and stock daisies aren't how to do it.

At this point my work in France was over with so I could dedicate more time to working on the car. I was also able to land a job at RSpeed helping them out get the website updated and doing shop work during the week.

It was during this period that I discovered that I didn't need to do any emissions testing on the car until the following year since the previous owner's registration took place within a certain time period from when I would do my own. I decided to take advantage of this time and install my ITBs.

The second time around was a lot easier and I got them installed in a day and running the next. Naturally, they started the first try:

Joe's the worst narrator ever :lol:
    ITBs RULE!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!
    I'm using ITBs on stock internals!!
    sigpic
    Chean Chay: they dont have pho in mexico
    Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
    -Ambrose Bierce
    here's the thing. if you disagree with someone's opinion, having better hair does not make you right. it makes you a ******bag.

Anywho, with the ITBs in I could focus on bigger and better things. Like seating!

I was able to get these seats from a ClubRoadster member at a super price so I had to have them. I might be selling them because i'm really too tall for them. Most of my height is in my legs, so I really need just a hair of extra travel that these seats can't provide. I'm considering getting some Elise seats and reskinning them to match the tan interior, but before I make that move I want to test drive some to see if they're something I'm willing to do.

Things settled down for a bit after that and I started to get nit-picky about small things. Taking a cue from my Honda years and smoked my turn signals to even out the front of the car. It's a small mod that made a big difference, I think.

I also added in the extra parking light that the european and japanese Miatas get for a little added visibility.

Shortly after doing this I was off to Japan to attend the Karuizawa Meeting, the largest Roadster gathering in Japan. This was a blast. Not only got to see some of Japan but got to see more Roadsters in one place than I've ever seen before. I also grabbed some cool swag while I was there, too.

I got a ZOOM Engineering radio surround piece and installed my AEM UEGO in preparation for getting the megasquirt. It really enhanced the look of the interior and gives it a nice retro feeling like the older 280z.

After the trip, tragedy struck once again, this time in the form of a Ford Econoline van.

It was all fixed up good as new and time rolled on.
    sigpic
    Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
    -Ambrose Bierce
    here's the thing. if you disagree with someone's opinion, having better hair does not make you right. it makes you a ******bag.

Comment

After I recouped from the wreck I got the Megasquirt along with a couple other goodies to install:

RS Products Smith-Style gauge faces, RS Products headlight/hazard switches and some new air horns.

The air horns went on first, followed closely by the gauge faces.

Marty approved!!

I also took this time to pull my dash in preparation to refinish the black crap that comes on it from the factory. Mine was starting to bubble up and look like ****.

Some time later, my power window switches started giving me fits, so instead of cleaning them, I replaced them!

Home depot SS wall plate + toggle switches. Cheap AND effective! :D
      sigpic
      -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

After a bit of time passed, it was once again time for the Karuizawa Meeting so I once again trekked out to Japan to soak it all in. We got to stay a bit longer this time around and as a result I was able to find some nice wheels from a friend of mine over there:

I was able to get them all back with me on the plane (thank goodness for 9lb wheels) and installed them post haste.

I also grabbed some wheels from a customer after he upgraded for kicks and giggles because they had a funky retro look to them:

When my red car got totaled, the front passenger corner suspension was trapped in place so I was unable to get the coilover out of there without doing MAJOR surgery. I was able to source spare parts through various sources and got the Teins installed again on the BRG, this time with some DP6061 rear top hats:

I also installed a St May exhaust that I got off a friend in Florida and installed it at the same time.

The sound is awesome. Really deep, burbly idle/overrun and absolutely no rasp. If only all exhausts were made like this.
        sigpic
        -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

In preparation for a trip to the gap, I polished the hood installed a Carbing STB and a new steering wheel from a japanese Eunos Roadster.

Finally I realized my low-profile dreams and sourced a set of RSActive headlights.

And that's pretty much how things stand now. I've got a header coming that should be installed in the next week or so, and that'll be it for a while until I get more money :lol:

Also boo 10 images limit.
          sigpic
          -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

"it's either gunna start up or theres gunna be a big explosion" ROFL
            '95 w/ now finished '99 swap, kyb agx's, flyin miata springs, sway bars, roll bar and more to come...sigpic

Comment

Wow sick car, stupid fords. Fix Or Repair Daily. After looking the thread over again, you defiantly have a unique style.
              Last edited by caseyfoster; 02-26-2009, 11:25 PM.
              16' VW Golf R | 97 Salvagewon Eliminator | 90 SC'd Track Project

Comment

I definitely like where your going with the car. Not a big fan of the remander of the stripes on there, but other than that it's pretty solid. Sweet write-up, thanks for sharing here :) History of a car is always intriguing.

2013 NC MX5 Club - Build Thread ~ 2017 VW Golf R ~ IG: DroptopDestron
                1997 M *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1995 Laguna Turbo 281whp *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1992 Black & Tan *SOLD

Comment

Yeah, still on the fence about whether to paint the stripes on it when it gets resprayed.

Vinyl's a ***** to peel off, btw :lol:
                  sigpic
                  -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by FooSchnickens View Post
                    Yeah, still on the fence about whether to paint the stripes on it when it gets resprayed.

Vinyl's a ***** to peel off, btw :lol:
                    I'm sure someone knows better than all of us...

...from when the vandals removed all of that.
                    Last edited by LagunaRoadster; 02-26-2009, 11:44 PM.

1997 M *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1995 Laguna Turbo 281whp *SOLD - Build Thread ~ 1992 Black & Tan *SOLD

Comment

Foo, I like the headlights! Car has definitely changed since I saw it last. You were right when you told me I need to make my way back out to the shop again. lol

Originally posted by miata5620
                      Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Originally posted by LagunaRoadster View Post
                        I'm sure Mike knows better than all of us...

IMAGE HERE

...from when he removed all of that.
                        HEY!!! That was vandals that did that, and don't you forget it! :lol:

Originally posted by miata5620
                        Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Comment

Nice journal man. That's a real classic roadster look.

Comment

HUGE fan of the vintage track car look and all the nods to the Elan. Trying to pay homage in a similar vein with my own brg. Looks like there's a significant difference in budget, though. :lol:

Nicely done. Love the wheels too.

Comment

Originally posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
                              HEY!!! That was vandals that did that, and don't you forget it! :lol:
                              *fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X