WTB- BP 1.8L crankshaft, crankshaft timing gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wanted] WTB- BP 1.8L crankshaft, crankshaft timing gear

The motor that I'm working on has a worn-out keyway on both the crankshaft and the timing gear. Looks like someone didn't do such a great job torquing the crankshaft bolt.

I'm told that all the BP (1.8) crankshafts are the same. Need one in good condition with a proper keyway, no scratches or wear on the journals. I also need the corresponding timing gear, obviously without wear on the keyway. I live in Marietta, will drive to pick it up for a good deal but prefer NW Atlanta if possible.

I'm told that all the BP (1.8) crankshafts are the same
    They are not exactly the same but they do interchange.
    92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

Thanks Dyna. Do you know what the differences are, and if they're important? Is any one shaft preferable to the others?

Comment

Different molds. Mostly the shape of the counter weights. Only important if you plan to knife edge or bull nose them.

Of course there is also the cast crank from the SOHC if you want to try and save some rotating weight.
        92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

I have a 1.8 from a 1995 that I use for spares. I've not yet pulled the crank so it is still available.

I am also in Marietta - east side close to Roswell.
          sigpic

Comment

Is it too far gone to do a loctite keyway fix like the 1.6 guys do? If it's a tapered shaft, the key is just to locate the gear.

Might save you the hassle of pulling a crank, especially if it's still in the car.

Comment

1.8 parts

Originally posted by Schroedinger View Post
              The motor that I'm working on has a worn-out keyway on both the crankshaft and the timing gear. Looks like someone didn't do such a great job torquing the crankshaft bolt.

I'm told that all the BP (1.8) crankshafts are the same. Need one in good condition with a proper keyway, no scratches or wear on the journals. I also need the corresponding timing gear, obviously without wear on the keyway. I live in Marietta, will drive to pick it up for a good deal but prefer NW Atlanta if possible.
              I am getting ready to part out a 1994 model. Showing cmp, afr, and thermistor trouble codes, so it is not running. recent head work by Brad's automotive machine shop in Gainesville, Ga. Can't speak for the guy that put it together, but it makes between 130 and 140 psi compression on all cylinders. Crank pulley is worn. Odometer shows 122,000. Would like to get $300 for the engine.

Danny Pittman
              MX-593P
              1979 RX7 12aT

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbes View Post
                Is it too far gone to do a loctite keyway fix like the 1.6 guys do? If it's a tapered shaft, the key is just to locate the gear.

Might save you the hassle of pulling a crank, especially if it's still in the car.
                The answer is maybe, maybe not. The keyway is probably salvageable, but the ID of the timing gear is worn eccentrically, which gives me concerns that the OD of the crankshaft might also be worn eccentrically. I haven't had the chance to get the dial indicator out to check runout yet.

I'm building it for turbo, and I was going to take down the bottom end to replace the rods anyway. If I'm in there, I might as well just replace the crank if I can get a good one for a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by nickt93 View Post
                  I have a 1.8 from a 1995 that I use for spares. I've not yet pulled the crank so it is still available.

I am also in Marietta - east side close to Roswell.
                  Thanks, sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X