Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX-7 or Type II Torsen LSD (Limited slip differential for 1.8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wanted] RX-7 or Type II Torsen LSD (Limited slip differential for 1.8)

I have a 1.8 open diff and I'm looking to convert to LSD so I only need the actual differential, not necessarily the housing (although I believe I need the end caps / bearing retainers for an RX-7 diff.

Looking to spend around $300 or so. Happy to pick up if within a reasonable drive of Atlanta.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm happy to pair a fair market price on a Torsen, so $500 range may be more realistic... what do you have?
    Last edited by bandy; 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM.
    '93 miata. Very safety, much slow, wow!

WTB: driver mod

Originally posted by bandy View Post
    I have a 1.8 open diff and I'm looking to convert to LSD so I only need the actual differential, not necessarily the housing (although I believe I need the end caps / bearing retainers for an RX-7 diff.

Looking to spend around $300 or so. Happy to pick up if within a reasonable drive of Atlanta.

Thanks!
    Not trying to thread crap or anything, but generally, Torsens go for about ~$500 and up. The removal of the housing doesn't really change the price all that much.

Not sure what the going rate is for the Rx7 clutch type.

More of an FYI of the current market so pending what offers you get you can gauge it a little better.
    1988 323 GTX--- The toy now :D
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by wildfire0310 View Post
      Not trying to thread crap or anything, but generally, Torsens go for about ~$500 and up. The removal of the housing doesn't really change the price all that much.

Not sure what the going rate is for the Rx7 clutch type.

More of an FYI of the current market so pending what offers you get you can gauge it a little better.

I didn't realize they demanded that much. I've seen the 4.3 closer to $700 but I thought I recalled seeing a few assemblies posted at or below $400 for the less desirable 4.1 and I also have heard that the RX-7 is significantly cheaper. If that's not the case I'll have to look for another solution. Thank you.

Comment

The RX-7 is usually cheaper, the issue is that at 30+ years old they likely do not work that well anymore and will need rebuild with new disks and likely bearings also. Get a Torsen.
        92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynra Rockets View Post
          The RX-7 is usually cheaper, the issue is that at 30+ years old they likely do not work that well anymore and will need rebuild with new disks and likely bearings also. Get a Torsen.
          Bingo.
          And there is no cheap lunch for Torsens. Just bite the bullet and get one.
          I'd take half a dozen at 300 and under ;-)
          sigpic

Comment

Is there any benefit in rebuilding the diff while the diff housing axles, etc are out of the car? If not that opens my options a bit. If I don't compromise the alignment when I swap out the diff internals then I could have a more temporary solution and decide later if there's a better solution.

Comment

Is there any benefit in rebuilding the diff while the diff housing axles, etc are out of the car?.
              Uhh they have to be out to be rebuilt.
              Why rebuild parts you don't intend to use?? Just get a torsen and be done.
              sigpic

Comment

then I could have a more temporary solution and decide later if there's a better solution.
                While I empathize with temporary solutions, I've done them many times, there is an old saying "don't throw good money after bad"
                92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

A torsen from a mid 90s Miata is not that much newer than a clutch LSD from an RX7.
                  RX7 LSD rebuilds are fairly inexpensive and allow you to fine tune the preferred amount of lock up.
                  Pull a part and car-part don't have any listed so you will have to get creative and check some of the smaller salvage yards.

Sincerely not a torsen fan

Comment

Is there more adjustment potential in the RX7 than the miata torsens?

I'm willing to pony up for the torsen knowing I can sell it should I decide that's not the right answer.

Comment

Originally posted by jstancel View Post

Sincerely not a torsen fan
                      You would be one of the very few.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynra Rockets View Post
                        You would be one of the very few.
                        True story.
                        Unless you are drag racing (stupid choice of car for that) or off roading (like jstancel) the RX7 unit doesn't make that much sense.
                        I have had both. The RX7 involves more fiddlefukery so I'd stick with a torsen for normal road course, curvy road, Miata enjoyment.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just weld the open diff, lsd on the cheap!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

bump. Still on the hunt. Seriously no torsens on the market?

Comment

I might have a loose T2 Torsen. Let me check the garage this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X