FC Rx7 differential housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wanted] FC Rx7 differential housing

Broke my diff arm for the second time and need to replace the housing now. Was looking for the compatable rx7 piece. If you have one please let me know.

Originally posted by DaveStruve View Post
    Broke my diff arm for the second time and need to replace the housing now.
    Sorry to threadjack, but how is that possible? Curious what were you doing?
    92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

There's a number of factors here. The biggest being that it's in a Lotus 7 Replica and not a miata, and thus mounted totally different... Which I now will be reworking a good bit after this second failure in a couple hundred miles. Other factors, car is making ~170hp, mostly driven hard on track, and running grippy tires.

Comment

Gotcha

Originally posted by DaveStruve View Post
        There's a number of factors here. The biggest being that it's in a Lotus 7 Replica and not a miata, and thus mounted totally different... Which I now will be reworking a good bit after this second failure in a couple hundred miles. Other factors, car is making ~170hp, mostly driven hard on track, and running grippy tires.

92 Italia "Competizione Speciale". 91 BRG, '69 Corvette "Mojo". '14 F150 Coyote 5.0. Looking for something blue.

Comment

Robinson Racing in Cumming can gusset an OEM housing. The challenge is the designed factory shear point relief there.
          David Luney - Suwanee GA
          [email protected]
          04 RX-8, 10 Black MS3, 08 Red MS3, 06 550i, 05 325i 92 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Comment

David do you have any miata housings? Mine is trashed after it tore through reinforced plates that were added after the last break.

Comment

How is it mounted differently? Just curious what the "weak link" is. There are plenty of Miatas making more power, weighing significantly more and using grippy tires that don't do this. Do you know Heiki (HRK on here)? His locost is ~300hp on Miata driveline.

build on mt.net http://www.miataturbo.net/engine-per...fr-ms3x-92420/
              Last edited by FE3tMX5; 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM.
              | 90 Miata | Turbocharged Stock Mazda FE-dohc 2.0L engine swap | 302whp 281ftlbs |

Comment

If I knew for sure It would have already been fixed. My best guess is that the pickup point for the nose of the diff isn't beefy enough and is allowing to much twisting motion. So I'm going to switch out the energy suspension bushings for delrin and build a beast of a nose bracket out of 1/4" steel. Basically trying to make it solid mounted to the chassis. The diff is independent of the motor since I didn't use the ppf. Theres just not a tried and true solution for this setup, so it's a matter problem solving. Yeah I need to pick Heiki's brain and see what his setup is.

Comment

go pro camera (or old cell phone) duct taped to the chassis. That's how I found which suspension bushing was causing my bump steer. Nothing moved with a crow bar but the camera show which one under full load.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynra Rockets View Post
                    go pro camera (or old cell phone) duct taped to the chassis. That's how I found which suspension bushing was causing my bump steer. Nothing moved with a crow bar but the camera show which one under full load.
                    That crossed my mind although I had thought this was fixed after reinforcing the arm after the first break. I'm throwing everything at it this time. So hopefully it will be fixed, but yeah I'll probably confirm with a gopro when it's done.

Comment

Working...
                    X