Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew's DIY Water/Meth Thread

Default Drew's DIY Water/Meth Thread

So since I've gone boost I figured I'd need something to get my charge temps down. Obviously intercooling is in the works but I wanted more. Ripley suggested water/meth injection and I looked into it to find it:

• Drastically lowered charge temps
    • Steam Cleaned your pistons and cylinders
    • Created even more pressure to push those cylinders down

I looked at a few kits from Devil's Own and Flying Miata but they ranged from 4-800 and I figured since it's just a few simple things I could build one myself.

So I did!

If you choose to do this I recommend checking out http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html

My system is based on theirs with a few add ons. Either way most of the parts I used are from that site so if you're wondering about anything you see in my writup check there for the part number.

So here's the basic idea:

It's pretty simple when you get down to it. The water comes from the reservoir (I used my windshield washer tank but keep in mind if you go this route that the washer tank isn't very large so expect to refill every 4-6 days depending on how often you have the system activated) into the pump, past the water solenoid, through the nozzle, and into your intake. Obviously you'll want to rig up a way to have it turn on automatically and for that the relay and the pressure switch work fine.

In addition to those plans I installed a tank level meter to make sure I don't run out, a master switch so I can kill it if something goes wrong, and an LED to let me know when it's pumping.

On with the pictures!
    Last edited by Dr.Drew; 04-16-2010 at 08:08 PM.

The first thing I did was delete my charcoal canister. I wanted my entire system under the hood and that was the only place where the pump would fit. With it removed I installed the pump (upside down to help with the gravity feed from the reservoir.

Then I ran the hose (3/4 fuel line) from reservoir, to pump, to the water solenoid. This bit ensures no water can be sucked through the system when you don't want it to be. To keep it simple just wire it with the power for the pump so you can ensure they're both on.

Then I ran the hose from the solenoid to the actual nozzle but first I had to put it together. Remember to use plenty of teflon tape when doing so to ensure a water tight seal. Also, because of the pretapped port in the dummy throttle I didn't use the nozzle recommended on the site. That nozzle is great to mount from the inside but if you need to mount from the outside you can find a good unit from Devil's Own.

Next was to install the nozzle into the intake. I chose to use a pre-tapped 1/8 NPT hole that was in the dummy throttle body. Obviously if this won't work for you try anywhere before the throttle body. But make sure that you place it AFTER the IAT sensor!
    Last edited by Dr.Drew; 04-17-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Sweet, so now all my hoses are hooked up and water is ready to flow. To handle the wiring just follow the instructions on the site and it's pretty straight forward. With this setup the system will only activate under a certain PSI with the car on. That's the purpose of the relay. Pay attention to the wiring diagram in the first post to ensure you wire it correctly. Then wrap it in some electrical tape and tuck it under the fender.

But to get the psi right you'll need to adjust your pressure switch. First make you your wiring is right as one terminal closes under boost while the other opens. When it's hooked up attach a bicycle pump with a pressure gauge to your vacuum hose and pump till the system activates (do this with the hose unattached from the nozzle so you're not pumping water into the intake with the engine off!!!!)

Now you can adjust the switch with an allen wrench till the system turns on at the desired boost. Loosening the allen bolt lowers the boost threshold and vice versa. Just start high and work your way down. You want it on at WOT and maybe a little below.

Finally I also wired an LED for the low tank sensor. I made sure to get the brightest one I could find for this and believe me it IS bright!! I wanted to make sure that even in the sun with the top down I would know. The only irratiting thing is during fast cornering it will flash if the water sloshes around but I'll live.

A Master Switch so I can shut the whole thing down. Notice I use a switch with an LED. I want to KNOW when my system is activated; not pounding on a switch at full boost trying to activate the system.

And a second LED wired in with the pump's power to let me know that it's on:

And voila!! Now I have water meth. If you have any questions let me know and hopefully I can answer them!
    Last edited by Dr.Drew; 04-15-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Good job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Default Re: Drew's DIY Water/Meth Thread

Thank you sir.

I wanted to add that my total cost on this install came to ~$180.00 in case anyone was wondering. That makes it about half the price of the cheapest kit I could find.

Total install time came to 5 hours including test drives, rides to the parts store, and tuning the pressure switch.
    Last edited by Dr.Drew; 04-17-2010 at 12:39 PM.

would this be useful on a NA NA...like naturally aspirated NA miata? or would it only make since to use on a boosted setup..and what exactly does water/meth do? like...obviously its water, and ...METH??? like the drug?...i mean...idk

Methanol-Like the alcohol..
    Nice job,You guys make me feel like I dont do anything to my car.
    (G)
    I make Stuff....shiny,Metal Stuff.

On a naturally aspirated car it wouldn't do much. The biggest advantage is cooling down the air charge and cylinder. This prevents knock and detonation so you can dial in more timing for more power. An NA car doesn't make high enough intake temps to warrant it.

Come on G! With your skills and resources you could make a kit that destroys mine.

You might need it if you ran a very high comp. ratio with mad spark advance.
    I'm cuurently putting the finishing touches on my turbo kit,making alot of small parts.It just feels like Im making no progress toward getting a running car is all.You are gilding the Lily so to speak.Looks really nice.
    (G)

oh okay..well can you go check my other thread i got some q's bout boost. [ame="http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7646"]Turbo VS Super Charging - MX5 Miata Atlanta Owners Club[/ame]

Hell yeah Drew! That's impressive my friend, its always nice to show off your car, and say stuff like "yeah, I made that." Unfortunately, the only thing I can so so far is, "see the front bumper there, notice the driver side has a bigger gap? That's because I hit a parking curb when I pulled too far forward!" and then I shake the bumper to show how bad it really is , it actually looks fine, but I still know I hit a damn curb. But seriously, congrats dude, looks awesome!

No matter how many friends you think you have, the size of your funeral will depend on the weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    I don't want some dude's balls on my neck while I'm yelling at some Vietnamese guy.

Very nicely done. The only issue I could see with it is the actual nozzle spraying perpendicular to the direction of air flow. I've always been under the impression that ideally, you should have the nozzle pointing in the direction of the airflow. Additionally, your nozzle is aiming the spray directly into the wall on the inside of the dummy t/b. While I understand the hot, pressurized air rushing by will probably catch most of the spray, I can't help but imagine that a lot of it will be hitting the inside wall of the t/b and running down into the manifold as a liquid. Granted, I'm going off the experience I had using a similar setup in my Mirage.

Or am I missing something and you mounted the nozzle inside the dummy T/B?
    1991 UK-spec MX-5 - https://www.facebook.com/djinovaband <<< METAL!

That's a good point and something I considered but all the instructions I found said to mount between 90 and 45 degrees. I also noticed that I have a VERY fine mist coming from the nozzle and I doubt there's enough velocity there to push past the intake air.

It is possible though and something to consider when I get my intercooler and possibly re-mount the system.

Wow dude this is amazing. I may want to copy this one day. Especially since I have a very similar setup only with a different blower. Very cool.
    2013 Whitout FR-S
    1988 LS1 rx7 convertible

Had you ever thought of 4 port WI?Just a Thought...
    (G)

Thanks Mat!

G, I assume you mean inject out of 4 nozzles for each cylinder. It's a good idea but I don't know how much it would help. It would also increase the chances of hydrolock.

Ideally the nozzle would be farther away from the intake manifold which would give the water more time to cool the air before combustion but even then I don't think it would have much more effect.

So, I'm wondering. Since you have one injector at the front of the intake instead of separate injectors, I wonder if you're getting more water to the most rear cylinder? If you are, that could help it's naturally lean tendencies from also getting more air than the other cylinders. It's probably a negligible difference, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastinthebushes View Post
    Do lots and lots of reading and research. Lots of vendors sell suspension, not just FM.

I didn't even know that was an issue. Sweet though!

Ok, something I forgot to cover: A few of the guys on mturbo are saying that the solenoid is useless when a check valve would work. So here's why you need the solenoid:

Remember that when the system is activated then turned off the pressure in the hose (from the pump to the nozzle) will still be there and the system will squirt for a second or two after the system is turned off. This is a waste of water/meth at best. Now with a check valve the pressure will be relieved from the pump to the nozzle. With a water solenoid the water will be STOPPED at the solenoid and less water will be wasted by pressure relief. I actually plan to re-run my hoses to put the solenoid just a few inches from the nozzle to help with this. Not to mention the pressure in the hoses will stay there and it will make the system quicker overall.
    Last edited by Dr.Drew; 04-17-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Bro. if it works then who cares what everybody on the infamous MT.Net says you need.It can often be a hive mind over there.
    (G)