Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sean's 13' Club roadster build...

Default Sean's 13' Club roadster build...

To date I've owned 6 Miatas- stock NA, stock NB, NA with a supercharger, The NB "disco potato" turbo car, and the infamous LFX Miata NA.

This one is my 1st NC and I love it (to be fair I've loved them all). The PHRT is awesome- combines the best things about having a hardtop but push a button and in 10 seconds it's gone- no hoist required!

i did a LOT of reading since buying the car. Always planned on a LS3 conversion to balance out my Miata conversions but it's just so much $$. I figured about $30k with $0 for labor. Plus the car. Ugh.

So 4 other options exist: 2.5 swap, supercharger, turbo, and of course just leaving it alone (hahaha).

I decided to turbo.

Its much less $$ than the LFX OR LS3 swap, and about the same as the supercharger. It does give me more flexibility down the road if 300rwhp isn't enough (again, hahaha). Its also been done a lot less which has an appeal- not sure why, but being a pioneer is appealing.

Then there is the quality of the Fab9 kit- oh my. All SS, V-band goodness. Bar and plate IC. Super high quality stuff. Brian was running a special so the free injectors was a nice bonus. Ordered the stuff last week.

Of course just power power is a recipe for failure. Supporting mods are required and the suspension, brakes and cooling all need to be up to the task. I installed a set of Ohlins this weekend with Progress sway bars. The car is at Butler now for new shoes- Michelin Pilot Supersports- 245/40/17 mounting on Enki RPF1s. Exhaust will be custom Enthusza.

Ill keep this thread updated as I work in the build.
    Sean O
    2017 Ford Raptor, 2013 PRHT Club Edition 2.5/ Fab9/ Ohlins, KTM 1190 Adventure

Sean O

Sean O

Sean O

Sean O

Sean O

Nice camber
    The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
    http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

I like the turbo choice. People expect 300+hp from a v8, but not from your stock engine.

Interesting to see the stops on the sway bar. When I ran showroom stock in a 91 Miata, some tracks (like Rockingham oval) would pull the sway bar all the way to the bend from Gs on the high bank.

Oh my! Sean this is going to be one cool build.

I'm the first to call dibs on this when you eventually decide to sell it! (Time and Date Stamped ;-)

Current: Exocet (Turbo!)
    Red '02 Turbo | 2010 - 2015 ~~~ 987 Boxster | 2012-2014 ~~~ Z4 ///M Roadster | 2015 - 2015

This is going to be awesome!
    - Lee -
    '13 Liquid Silver Metallic Club PRHT | SOLD!
    '06 Sunlight Silver Touring | Mazdaspeed springs & sways | SOLD!

The Fab9 turbo kits is so beautiful. I've talked to Bryan in person about it quite a bit. I'd dive right in if it didn't cost $10k to boost. For that reason, I've chosen to leave my powertrain alone for now.
    2007 True Red Miata

This is going to be exciting! Pretty parts too!

gotta watch this one too! subscribed.

Exciting!

2017 VW Golf R | 2013 Club - *New* Build Thread | IG: DroptopDestron
    1997 M *SOLD - Build Thread |1995 Laguna Turbo 281whp *SOLD - Build Thread | 1992 Black & Tan *SOLD

On to the electronics.

The factory radio blows and this isn't just a track car. Of course adding some wizzy bits...

Head Unit: Kenwood DDX 9904S
    Speakers: JL Audio C3 5x7 components and 3.5" rear
    Amp: JL Audio 900/5

Now for the wizzy bits. I've ordered a Maestro RR which ties into the CAN signals in the OBD2 port. This will allow the radio to display any pids the ecu produces- in other words, the custom gauges will be on the radio. Also allows for configuration of the steering wheel buttons. Lap timer?
    The car will be tuned with ECUTEK (OTW from Dynotronics) along with a ProEcu Connect- a nifty device that plugs into the OBD2 port (maestro going behind) and lets you log data on your phone with a wireless connection... no laptop on the passenger seat. It also allows for on the fly boost adjustments, a valet mode, various maps and performance data.

Should have all this stuff installed by the end of next week. Will update with pics!
    Last edited by carnut169; 09-18-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    Sean O

Are you going to run an oil pressure and temp gauges?
    2007 True Red Miata

I'm waiting to see what is available from the ECU. I've been told quite a bit.
    Sean O

Oil pressure and temp are not available on the ECU. What outputs are available, that I find interesting:

Coolant temp
    Voltage
    AFR
    Tire pressure and temperature for each tire, if running TPMS sensors
    Boost, if you're running a MAP sensor, which you will be
    IAT
    2007 True Red Miata

Just for reference here is a link to some good work that's already been done. Exciting stuff!

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=631418

in the LFX miata I used only a AIM MXL gauge tied into the GM ecu so it's not Greek like a lot of this computer stuff can be.

If if I had an Exocet or Eliminator I'd seriously consider ditching the Miata cluster for an MXL.... (Nick/ Rick)
    Sean O