Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NA Miata Electric Power Steering

Yep, gotcha, that makes sense.

RE sourcing: it really depends. The easy button is Metal Supermarkets. But for something like this you can probably get away with what Home Depot / Lowes carries. All the stock mounts are 1/8", so you don't really need anything super heavy duty. That said, HD / Lowes' prices on metal are CRAZY high. It's fine if you're doing something small where $5 doesn't make a huge difference, but as soon as you start needing more material, they're like 4-5x as expensive as MS.

If you don't mind the wait for shipping, there are a few vendors on Amazon for small batch stuff that may come in cheaper than MS.

I don't think I actually had to buy anything for this project. I probably used less than 2 feet of 1-1/2 x 1/8" bar as it was about the right size and I had some laying around.
    Last edited by amaff; 10-16-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

I'm actually on my way to metal supermarket right now, was just wondering if there was another vendor in town with a drop room.

Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    I'm actually on my way to metal supermarket right now, was just wondering if there was another vendor in town with a drop room.
    Pretty much any big fabrication shop, honestly. Call around, see who sells drops, and make friends w/ the guy working the counter.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

Over the winter, the power steering mods were completed. We'll have the first test of the full set this weekend.

I turned up some steering limit stops for the rack on the lathe:

And then installed the depowered power-steering rack... into my power steering system.

I really look forward to seeing how it handles with the quicker rack. I imagine the only possible change we'll need to make is to maybe add a touch of assist to the column, but other than that, we should be good to go
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

Very cool Andrew
    Sean O
    2017 Ford Raptor, 2013 PRHT Club Edition 2.5/ Fab9/ Ohlins, KTM 1190 Adventure