Thread: Rare symptoms

Default Rare symptoms

Here's what's going on, I pulled the motor out of my (running) 2001 LS to freshen the motor, put it all back together and then crank but no start symptoms started..... Here's what I know. The crank sensor, cam sensor, and coils are all good. I put them on another 2001 Miata and the car ran fine.... The crank gap is perfect, as well is the timing. The plugs reek of fuel meaning injectors are firing. The Tach does not even wiggle when the car cranks and the check engine light is on constantly on even though there are no codes (I've looked about 4 times). Every wire is connected and I've checked that was well by unplugging every single wire in the entire engine bay and reconnecting them double checking everything is in proper condition and plugged in. The fuses that have anything to do with the motor running have all been checked with a multi meter both inside and in the engine bay of the car. I am at a complete loss and am asking for any help, thanks guys.

I've seen this before when tye crank trigger wheel was put in back to front. Lines up fine but the timing is off.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net
    2004 RX-8, 2005 MCS, 08 Red GT, 1992 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Make sure the crank trigger plate did not go on backwards. It will never start with it on the wrong way.

Edit Dave beat me to it
    The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
    http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

I've tried the wheel both ways and still nothing... I've also pulled the trigger wheel off a running car to get the proper orientation with the "bulb" facing out. I just cant think of a way the tach wouldnt move unless the crank signal was bad or malfunctioning but it is a known good with the test on the running car.

I know this will sound insulting, but trust me it's not. With cylinder 1 at TDC, are the cam loves facing out? If not, you're 180 degrees out of time.

On these, the tach "bouncing" typically doesn't apply.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net

Yes they are in the correct orientation, i've done a timing belt job about 8 times, this is why I'm so confused.... Thank you all for the responses

Ground straps are connected? On the NA there's a eye terminal for the coil pack that goes to the back of the head. Since the plugs are wet it's reasonable to assume that the ECU is seeing rotation and firing injectors, so it's on the coil side..

So no spark at the plugs?
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net

I've got spark but it's intermittent. It will fart and sputter but not actually start. All signs point towards timing but after checking for the 9th time its still perfectly set up....

Take pictures of the timing, see if any of us catch something.

And how are you checking TDC? The mark on the timing belt pulley, or the mark on the harmonic balancer?

Did you take off the VVT pulley doing your refresh? Wonder if the alignment dowel did the same thing.

https://www.miataturbo.net/megasquir...ck-swap-87395/

I did not remove the pulley just the cover that goes over it so I could turn the cam gear, but I will check to see if the VVT is aligned. Thank you so much for the help.

It's probably not the cam gear then.. This one has me curious, make sure you update when you figure it out.

What all did you do in your refresh? Have you run a compression test yet?

I have great compression in all 4 cylinders. I put new clutch and flywheel, all new seals (cam gear, oil pan, rear main, head gasket ect...) Nothing really major. Just the basics. I will check everything tomorrow again (timing because at this point thats all it really can be...) and keep everyone posted

Did you do the intake cam seal? To get to that, you have to pull off the pulley. Looks like this when it's off - https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a46be64941.jpg - the dowel there can be forced deeper into the cam, which throws off the pulley alignment.

Thats defiantly what I'm going to check next.

UPDATE: After checking timing and moving a teeth on both cam gears a tooth each way I've gotten the car to start but it's clearly miss firing so at this point it must be timing. Im going to continue trying advancing or retarding by a tooth and see if that helps but I'm also suspicious about the VVT cam gear and maybe its stuck advancing when the car is idling? not really educated on the VVT system so im looking into that as well. Thanks for all the help guys.