Thread: Need to borrow some specific wheels

Default Need to borrow some specific wheels

My 15" RPF1 center cap designs have taken off pretty well and I'm looking to design and fabricate center caps for more wheels. I'm looking for some specific wheels locally that I can borrow for an indeterminate amount of time for spec gathering, design, and test fitment.

14" Enkei RPF1
    15" SSR RS8
    15" Watanabe (same as RS8?)
    15" Konig Helium

I am also interested in suggestions for any other wheel popular for Miatas that are either out of production, limited production, or in general just lack center caps (I'm looking at you Enkei) or have a stupid center cap design (I'm looking at you Konig). The key word here is "popular".

Anyone willing to let me borrow their wheels for a while will be rewarded with a free set of freshly printed center caps from the first batch produced (currently a $60-100 value). I will also perform special commissions or one-offs for ultra-rare super JDM tyte yo wheels, quoted on request.

For those unfamiliar with my work, this is what a completely finished center cap looks like, with decals made by Adam at revlimiter.net:

Chris and Lola

I need a set of Lotus-like tri-spinners to fit Honda, VW, or Mazda steelies.
    They can also look cool on Panasport, Wats, Rota RB/RKR etc etc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13&dateline=123560545  3

I'd probably be best served to get my hands onto one of these to replicate a design for one, but anything is possible.
    Chris and Lola

It doesn't have to be exactly a Lotus spinner, but a tri-spinner
    http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13&dateline=123560545  3

I'm more interested in how it attaches to the wheel/hub.

I'm seeing a couple versions, one which just snaps into the hub bore like a normal centercap, another with a base that bolts on behind the hub bore and then the spinner twists onto it.
    Last edited by CMP; 07-14-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Chris and Lola

Ahh...have ask this guy...he is working on these.
    Typically they have a retainer cup and fastener...but if light enough they could be attached other ways, perhaps even just snap in much
    like other caps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hmm may have to look into the ones your already making as im running 15" rpf1s
    1997 mx-5

Kurt - got a steelie I can borrow?

Schwing - you can purchase the unfinished caps here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/UA...nch-enkei-rpf1

Or you can wait until I make a bulk run for painting and pick them up locally.
    Chris and Lola

I have 14" RPF1s. You can take measurements, but can't have the wheel. It's the only set I currently have.

Can we get them with roadster decals?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 91LudeSiT View Post

Go to revlimiters website and see his stuff. Or custom order something from him

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I have 14" RPF1s. You can take measurements, but can't have the wheel. It's the only set I currently have.
    Thanks! I will take you up on that. We see each other at the East Cobb meets so taking some measurements and test fitting should be pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by 91LudeSiT View Post

I got the decals from Adam at revlimiter.net, so, like Danny said, just order what you want from him and apply them to my center caps.
    Chris and Lola

Quote Originally Posted by CMP View Post
    Kurt - got a steelie I can borrow?
    Would an OEM Mazda steelie center cap suffice?
    I have a set of 15" steelies that would work well...not Mazda though. May have different center bore size. I think they are 56.1mm
    I presume that's the most crucial measurement???
    Last edited by metalman; 07-17-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Standard Miata hub bore size is 54.1. It's the depth and some other dimensions I need. The OEM steelie center cap would work just fine for my purposes.
    Chris and Lola

The steelies I have are Honda, 15", 56.1 center bore according to interwebs

It might be possible to generate a few different "bases" that the tri-spinner can mount to. I live up in Lawrenceville again, I'll drop by sometime soon and we can look at them.
    Chris and Lola