Thread: ATL area catalytic converter recycling options

Default ATL area catalytic converter recycling options

I recently changed the exhaust in our Prius to resolve a weak cat issue (P0420). + 1 for Rock Auto!

Any recommendations for a company in the Atlanta area that buys used cats? I prefer west or north.

I found:

http://nolimitcatalytics.com

any personal experiences with them or others?
    '01 BRG #2807 FS: 4 nice black Chaparral's, $400; used Manzo NB exhaust, $50
    ISO: SS brake lines; generic caps 4 Konig (D-35)
    Build log: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...02#post7862902

There is a spot in Norcross too. Is the cat intact inside? Not melted?
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net
    2004 RX-8, 2005 MCS, 08 Red GT, 1992 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

No melting but several plugged passages.

The Prius burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles and has for 75k or so (250k total). I believe the cat surface just became contaminated by the oil. I think phosphorus(?) in the oil coats the substrate preventing complete catalytic combustion of the HC's and NOx's.

Stock cat looking from what would have been the engine side:
    IMG_6435.jpg

Bosal aftermarket (new, with larger passages for high flow performance! wink):
    IMG_6433.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by miatastuff View Post
    There is a spot in Norcross too.
    Which one?
    http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13&dateline=123560545  3

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    Which one?
    I'll have to dig back through my emails and find the details. They come to me when I have 10+.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net

You might make enough money off of one converter to pay for the gas used to take it to them.
    1991 with Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Ford conversion/ 382whp/376tq

interested to find a good place, I have a stash I need to sell too

I spoke with Ashley and then a second person at no limit cats (678-526-7555, Lithonia).

They can quote a value over the phone given the number stamped on the housing. For the Prius main cat stamped GD3 I was quoted $150 and for the second cat stamped EA6 I was quoted $80 scrap value. They said the Prius's are higher in value due to their low emissions targets and therefore higher levels of catalytic metals in the coating wash.

They prefer to have the unit cut from the long exhaust assembly. Not removed from their housing, just sawz-alled at either end. They will also take the remaining exhaust components for steel scrap - but maybe only $1 in value.

To avoid fraud and buying stolen cats, they require the vehicle registration and receipt for replacement parts. Easy for me. I said I have friends that part out Miata's that won't likely have that documentation. They work with such all the time (junk yards, etc) and said proof of crush or 'end of life' is fine. If you are in that boat, I'd call first to see what they documentation they need.

They seemed very nice on the phone.

I will post again once I have actually met with them and been paid (next week at the earliest). Fingers crossed! $230 would be nice and is about a third of what I spent on the parts and tools to do the job!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    $230 would be nice and is about a third of what I spent on the parts and tools to do the job!!!!
    Barely gas money to get there. *snicker*

No offense to Tbone Heller but people always say oem scrap cats aren't worth anything and I have found that to be overwhelmingly false. In fact whenever platinum & rhodium etc prices spike they get quite valuable. The market does go up and down of course, and some buyers are scammer/resellers who don't pay correct pricing and offer lowball amounts. I have never gotten less than about $70 for an OEM cat. Obviously size, type, and other factors apply. Some can be $200-300 and more but those type aren't found on Miatas. If prices are down I just keep them until they increase.
    http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13&dateline=123560545  3

Agreed. My range has been $90-130 for OEM Miata cats and they come to me with cash. I have titles for everything so that doc isn't a problem. I don't have to make cuts, just unbolt the mufflers
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net

So, everything went fine today at No Limit Catalyst in Lithonia. John was great and it only took 15 minutes. But this is not a deal for the tin hat crowd or those that want to protect their personal info.

The good: I got $241 for the old Prius cats and old exhaust. Considering that I paid $281 for the entire aftermarket exhaust header to muffler assembly, not a bad deal. I have no expectation that the aftermarket unit will last as long nor is it the same grade of stainless. (In total I spent more than $281 because I also bought new front and rear gaskets, O2 and AF sensors, and some hardware. Still working to get the new AF in dang-it).

the bad: I had to provide my name, registration of the car, receipt for the new cat, my driver license, they took photos of the vehicle (including the license plate) I drove to their shop, took a picture of me, and a signature. They made copies of the registration, receipt, and my DL. Blame regulation to reduce recycling stolen cats. If anyone reports a stolen Prius cat, I will be at the top of the SBI list and officer Obie will visit me.

If you are scrapper and don't have all of the documentation I provided, they mentioned that getting a secondary recycler's license for $200? would be the best idea. I don't know much more about that. They seemed very agreeable.

Also, most cats don't fetch this kind of cash. I guess the Prius cats are special. :-)

Find the short code stamped into the cat body and give them a call. They will tell you over the phone what they will pay.