Thread: Alignment shop

Default Alignment shop

Need suggestions for an alignment shop. I've been to three shops so far and no one can do it.
    First shop swore up and down my rear subframe was bent and left me with 2" positive toe in the rear. Second shop fixed the rear toe but their machines couldn't fit between the tire and fender in the front, third shop wouldn't do anything but factory specs.
    I'm on the west side of Atlanta so closer to that side the better. I'm just trying to get 949's "dual duty" specs, nothing super extreme.
    Getting new, grippy tires in a few weeks so I want to make sure everything is straight so I don't needlessly drag the fresh rubber everywhere.

Gran Turismo East is regarded as the best place for an alignment

Everyone here will say Gran Turismo East and one or two people will kick in for a place in woodstock that I can't recall because I recommend GTE.

http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?29782-Alignment-shop-recommendation
    http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/sho...lignment-shops
    http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/sho...gnment-problem

GTE
    Chris and Lola

This guys has been doing my alignment for years. Very reliable

2017-05-24-15-19-28-.jpg
    Marta

If you know what alignment numbers you want, any shop that will let you sit in the car will do, but those seem to be few and far between.
    2007 True Red Miata

Welp, looks like I'll be going to GTE then. Thanks fellas. Anyone remember offhand what they charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Zadnak View Post
    If you know what alignment numbers you want, any shop that will let you sit in the car will do, but those seem to be few and far between.
    That's the issue, all my normal places have failed me. I have the numbers I want, but no one can seem to do them without messing up something else or completely falling on their face.

GTE is the easy button. They charge around $100, or did the last time I had them do an alignment...which was years ago (I roll my own now)

Quote Originally Posted by wingman703 View Post
    Getting new, grippy tires in a few weeks so I want to make sure everything is straight so I don't needlessly drag the fresh rubber everywhere.
    I'd recommend getting the alignment right after you put the tires on then. Having worn / uneven tires can have a pretty big impact on the alignment specs you get. Which is to say, the alignment numbers you get on unevely worn tires won't directly translate to the same numbers on fresh rubber.

Hell, have the tires delivered to GTE and they'll install them and then align the car for you if you're worried about driving on the street w/ good tires and a cracked out alignment.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

GTE charges me $125.
    2007 True Red Miata

Fair enough. Makes sense that it'd have gone up a little in the past near-decade
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

I haven't paid a shop to do an alignment in at least a decade. You can do them yourself, even without any fancy tools. Jackstands, string, a tape measure, and a level will get you far.
    DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
    | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
    | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

GTE. Those guys are awesome.
    2012 Spirited Green Mazda2 Touring 5MT
    1999 Emerald Mica/Tan Miata 5MT
    2007 Frontier Nismo Crew Cab 4x4

I stopped by today and was very impressed. For sure a step up from the run of the mill places I'd been at. They actually suggested changes to my current suspension setup before getting an alignment.
    Quote Originally Posted by amaff View Post
    I'd recommend getting the alignment right after you put the tires on then. Having worn / uneven tires can have a pretty big impact on the alignment specs you get. Which is to say, the alignment numbers you get on unevely worn tires won't directly translate to the same numbers on fresh rubber.

Hell, have the tires delivered to GTE and they'll install them and then align the car for you if you're worried about driving on the street w/ good tires and a cracked out alignment.
    Hmm, good point. Perhaps I'll make the suspension changes now, then do just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ben91 View Post
    I haven't paid a shop to do an alignment in at least a decade. You can do them yourself, even without any fancy tools. Jackstands, string, a tape measure, and a level will get you far.
    I don't have anywhere level enough to attempt it. My driveway is crooked and with more bumps and dips then a mountain range. Plus its one of those "peace of mind" things in having a real professional do it. He was able to diagnose my terrible understeer and a few other things just from looking at where everything sat currently and making a few suggestions to improve everything.

I know, 6 month old thread etc...if I could offer another shop: Controlled Motors off McFarland (Exit 12 on 400) for those of us in North Fulton that hate the drive to GTE. Had the initial alignment done on my miata, 949's stock Miata specs, and went beautifully. He has a laser rack and actually does all the alignments for TopSpeed's track cars. Only place I'd go other than GTE, and nice to have a much closer option. Take my Evo there for everything. Great guys, don't charge for more time than a job takes on non-alignment stuff, and spend as much time on an alignment as necessary.

https://www.facebook.com/controlledmotors/

Since we're revisiting old threads...

I'd offer up Butler Tire on Jones Bridge in John's Creek as another alternative for those in North Fulton. They did a great job on FrankenMiata and didn't blink at my lowered conglomeration of parts with the 245's on. They did good work, were thorough and efficient and everything was set to my spec's.