Thread: Side mound for racing seat

Default Side mound for racing seat

I've looked but can't seem to find anything but universal stuff, does anybody know of a Miata specific one? I have a flat mount corbeau bracket and it's a corbeau seat. Any help/info is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slip 'N' Slide

Is FIA cert important to you?

I compiled a bunch of seat dimensions from the internet. I found precious few that will fit without some modification, also need to factor in your body shape and size too.

Do you want a composite shell or tube frame? I bought a used seat I found from this site. I had to modify the seat and tunnel a bit to get it to fit. I also use a GarageStar seat bracket. The mods were simple, but I have experience designing and fabricating seating products, so I felt safe in what I was doing.

The aluminum seats are your best bet for fit, but I don't recall if they can be can be side mounted.

***edit: are you asking about a side mount seat, or just the bracket? GarageStar, RCI, Planted, etc have Miata-specific brackets. Some work in conjunction with universal side mounts, some are direct fit.***
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 05-16-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Is FIA cert important to you?

I compiled a bunch of seat dimensions from the internet. I found precious few that will fit without some modification, also need to factor in your body shape and size too.

Do you want a composite shell or tube frame? I bought a used seat I found from this site. I had to modify the seat and tunnel a bit to get it to fit. I also use a GarageStar seat bracket. The mods were simple, but I have experience designing and fabricating seating products, so I felt safe in what I was doing.

The aluminum seats are your best bet for fit, but I don't recall if they can be can be side mounted.

***edit: are you asking about a side mount seat, or just the bracket? GarageStar, RCI, Planted, etc have Miata-specific brackets. Some work in conjunction with universal side mounts, some are direct fit.***
    Side mount bracket, the seat I have can be side mounted.

Slip 'N' Slide

Thanks for mention the garage star one, I'm going to go with that. I'm not sure how that never popped up in all my digging

Slip 'N' Slide

I like it. It's pretty easy to setup, but a little fiddly. The bushings between the seat and the bracket especially.

Yikes, that looks sketch.

The only bolt-in side mount solution I'm aware of is a Sparco mount made for a specific Sparco seat. Otherwise, expect a side-mount seat installation to require fabrication. At minimum, you will need to figure out how to attach the floor mount to generic side mounts. The floor mounts can be purchased, or better, you can fabricate your own. If you do the later, you can knock out the floor plan hump and get the seat low.

If this is not a legit track build, and you don't/can't properly (SAFELY) implement seat mounts, get a standard bottom-mount seat instead. Corbeau has bolt-in mounts with sliders.
    Last edited by ben91; 05-17-2017 at 08:13 AM.
    DIYAutoTune.com

| 10AE-T | BEGi S4 | GT2560r | Enthuza | 6UL | MS3Pro PNP|
    | 2001 Track Rat | Enthuza | Jenvey | MS3Pro PNP | Exocet in Progress|
    | 1992 323 | Wrong-wheel-drive Miata Endurance Racecar|

Quote Originally Posted by ben91 View Post
    Yikes, that looks sketch.

The only bolt-in side mount solution I'm aware of is a Sparco mount made for a specific Sparco seat. Otherwise, expect a side-mount seat installation to require fabrication. At minimum, you will need to figure out how to attach the floor mount to generic side mounts. The floor mounts can be purchased, or better, you can fabricate your own. If you do the later, you can knock out the floor plan hump and get the seat low.

If this is not a legit track build, and you don't/can't properly (SAFELY) implement seat mounts, get a standard bottom-mount seat instead. Corbeau has bolt-in mounts with sliders.
    I bought the seat and it came with the Corbeau sliders and mount but it sat way to high nowhere near far enough back, same for a static bottom mount.

Slip 'N' Slide

You have to knock off the OE mount off the floor pan and build a new seat mount. That can be done with or without sliders.
    DIYAutoTune.com

I don't have any experience with the Garage Star mount, but I have no complaints with the PCI adjustable mount. It's the most adjustable "off the shelf" product I've seen for side mount seats in a Miata and seems significantly stronger than the individual side mounts like Garage Star.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/61-1914.html

To mount this as far back as possible, my NB needed some pretty heavy hammering on the trans tunnel, but it isn't noticeable with carpet on top (and barely noticeable even without carpet). No fabrication and no modification to the stock seat humps needed for me.
    - Ryan
    1999 Miata and more

Quote Originally Posted by Rzoops View Post
    I don't have any experience with the Garage Star mount, but I have no complaints with the PCI adjustable mount. It's the most adjustable "off the shelf" product I've seen for side mount seats in a Miata and seems significantly stronger than the individual side mounts like Garage Star.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/61-1914.html

To mount this as far back as possible, my NB needed some pretty heavy hammering on the trans tunnel, but it isn't noticeable with carpet on top (and barely noticeable even without carpet). No fabrication and no modification to the stock seat humps needed for me.
    That seems like a good option too

Slip 'N' Slide

That looks like a better piece. I wish they didn't have the precut slots for width adjustment and instead had the end user drill to their seat. I would weld the slots shut if I were using that bracket.

Before doing that though, I'd remove the front OE mount from the floor pan and get the seat down lower.
    DIYAutoTune.com

Here's my GS mount for reference:

I loved my garage star mount
    Marta

Another semi-related question, how hard is it to mount the fifth belt for a five point harness?

Slip 'N' Slide

Quote Originally Posted by GTOTT97 View Post
    Another semi-related question, how hard is it to mount the fifth belt for a five point harness?
    Depends on how you do it. Some seat mounts (mounds? ) have a sub-belt mount built in. I drilled through the floor and made a backing plate out of IIRC 1/4" plate.

I don't have a pic of the back side, but it's right along the frame "rail".

~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

Quote Originally Posted by amaff View Post
    Depends on how you do it. Some seat mounts (mounds? ) have a sub-belt mount built in. I drilled through the floor and made a backing plate out of IIRC 1/4" plate.

I don't have a pic of the back side, but it's right along the frame "rail".

I don't believe the garage-star has a harness attachment point.

Slip 'N' Slide

Sub belt is normally bolted through the floor. Make sure you read the harness' installation instructions to get placement correct.
    DIYAutoTune.com

Forged eyebolts (as shown above) with 3/16" thick x 3 or 4" squared backing plate underneath (to prevent tearing/pull through)