Thread: Rallycross

Default Rallycross

I have got my hardtop, I will probably get some NB 15 inch wheels to save my chaparral's from rally cross, my next question is how high up should I go, it's sitting at factory ride height at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slip 'N' Slide

In GA you should be able to run stock height.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I did a lot of Rally X when I lived in MI. There was a Club Rally driver who would come out in his wife's stock NA6 and wipe the floor with the rest of the RWD stock class. I ran in FWD stock in my '92 Integra and AWD in my 323GTX. Suspension travel depends on the terrain, but stock height should be plenty.

I won an event in FWD stock using a rental car from the airport. That was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I did a lot of Rally X when I lived in MI. There was a Club Rally driver who would come out in his wife's stock NA6 and wipe the floor with the rest of the RWD stock class. I ran in FWD stock in my '92 Integra and AWD in my 323GTX. Suspension travel depends on the terrain, but stock height should be plenty.

I won an event in FWD stock using a rental car from the airport. That was fun.
    Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm going to get one of those aluminum skid plates just for peace of mind

Slip 'N' Slide

Be super careful, I've heard horror stories about rocks getting trapped between the skid plate and the oil pan and the vibration of the engine punching a hole in it.

I'd personally just run that garage star engine lift spacer and call it a day.

Good point. A friend of mine didn't run a belly tray on his Miata. He ran over a plastic bag on the freeway, it wrapped around his pulley and it locked up his engine.

Here's my Integra in action:

I went full lock around one of the banked turns at this course and a rock sliced my FL rubber brake line off. I went down the back straight, over the 'yump' and when I tried to flick the car around the next 90* turn, I didn't get it quite right, punched the brakes to help but the pedal went to the floor. I scrubbed as much speed as I could and drove over the banking at speed into a mud swamp behind it (fortunately). The car sunk in upto the sills and had to be pulled out with a tractor. It was pretty exciting, but the car came out with only superficial damage.

From what I can tell of the course in Atlanta it's mainly loose Georgia red clay, of course it turns to horrendous amounts of mud when it rains, tire wise I've gathered some plain Jane tires are fine to start with

Slip 'N' Slide

The old 323GTX:

We primarily used a banked dirt circuit at a place called Bob's Family Mud Bog. LOL

It was great, though. We used other venues, mostly club member's open parcels of land. The interesting events were when the Pro and Club rally guys came for testing and tuning their cars. Rally was pretty popular up there. We also did some ice racing too.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOTT97 View Post
    From what I can tell of the course in Atlanta it's mainly loose Georgia red clay, of course it turns to horrendous amounts of mud when it rains, tire wise I've gathered some plain Jane tires are fine to start with

You should be fine. There's a possibility of a tire unbeading it you hook a rut. I usually ran M+S tires or my winter tires because they had blocky treads that could shed the mud pretty well. I think just take it easy the first 1-2 runs until you get a feel for how much the course undulates, then see what you feel comfortable with. It's good time!

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    The old 323GTX:

We primarily used a banked dirt circuit at a place called Bob's Family Mud Bog. LOL

It was great, though. We used other venues, mostly club member's open parcels of land. The interesting events were when the Pro and Club rally guys came for testing and tuning their cars. Rally was pretty popular up there. We also did some ice racing too.
    Is there a way to like a post.
    1988 323 GTX--- New DD, cause I am that crazy
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3::SOLD ----- 1991 BRG NA8 Swap, Turbo::SOLD

Actually you can run winterforce or the likes in the stock class. Which is what I'd do as they are super cheap.

^ that's what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by 91LudeSiT View Post
    Actually you can run winterforce or the likes in the stock class. Which is what I'd do as they are super cheap.

Oh cool, I didn't know that

Slip 'N' Slide

Pat Mcartin here did a lot of this with a Miata. I don't recall his screen name here, but worth looking him up for advise.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net
    2004 RX-8, 2005 MCS, 08 Red GT, 1992 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

NA6R?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian129 View Post
    NA6R?
    Plain Jane NA6

Slip 'N' Slide

Plain Jane NA6

Yes, that's him.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net
    2004 RX-8, 2005 MCS, 08 Red GT, 1992 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Yep and that's who told me to run winterforce tires. He also told me to run an NB bump stop in the rear to drive the spring rates up so you could kick the back end out.

He basically said stock suspension, NB bumps in the rear, torsen, and winterforce tires.