Thread: swollen nuts

Default swollen nuts

Now that I have your attention...

Five of the lug nuts on our '12 Toyota Sienna are oversized. All on the same front passenger wheel. The 21mm socket won't fit and the 22mm is loose. The 21mm fits fine on all of the other 15 nuts. This appears to be a common problem with the OEM nuts as they are made with a thin stainless cap over a steel nut body. Apparently, corrosion causes the cap to swell. Some internet sites suggest this 'swelling' is due to over torquing. That may have happened but I have my doubts that it would cause the nut body to deform so much.

Time to buy an electric impact wrench to go with those impact sockets that are just sitting there - any excuse to buy a new tool. :-)

Anyway, thought I'd share ....
    '01 BRG #2807 FS: 4 nice black Chaparral's, $400; used Manzo NB exhaust, $50
    ISO: SS brake lines; generic caps 4 Konig (D-35)
    Build log: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...02#post7862902

I had a problem with swollen nuts once. It wasn't fun.
    2012 Spirited Green Mazda2 Touring 5MT
    1999 Emerald Mica/Tan Miata 5MT
    2007 Frontier Nismo Crew Cab 4x4

Hammer those nuts.

Then replace them. Or put them in your wife's purse for safe keeping.

This happened on my '13 Fusion twice. Each set was good for a year or so before swelling.
    The first time, the dealer said that I would need to pay for new lug nuts. When I declined, they comped them. There was no way for them to wrench the old ones back on!
    The second time, I replaced them myself with DPAccessories solid lug nuts from Amazon and haven't had a problem since.
    I had to hammer on my impact socket to get a good grip. Using a socket that fit the swollen cap just caused the cap to spin.

I'm just glad I didn't have to change a flat with the old nuts, I would have been SOL on the side of the road.
    2001 BRG SE

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post

Hammer those nuts.
    Actually, I just bought this today:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZHIN0S...qid=1490744164

Quote Originally Posted by boatshoes View Post
    The second time, I replaced them myself with DPAccessories solid lug nuts from Amazon and haven't had a problem since.
    I had to hammer on my impact socket to get a good grip. Using a socket that fit the swollen cap just caused the cap to spin.

I'm just glad I didn't have to change a flat with the old nuts, I would have been SOL on the side of the road.
    Just bought this brand today to avoid just the issue you speak of. ha!

The toyota/lexus lug nuts have like caps on them. You have to remember they are a wear and tear part. They go through heat cycles as well.

Toyota/lexus
    Ford
    Some dodge trucks

Anything with caps over the damn nut lol
    Marta

The "simple" way to get them off is to either cut off the cap with a pair of cutters enough to get your 21mm socket on OR place the 21mm socket against the swollen nut, align it to the nut under the cap and smack the socket over the nut with a hammer then take the nut loose and hammer the nut out of the socket. Then replace all of the lugnuts on the vehicle. Whoever works on the car next will be grateful.

They spun off easily using my 22mm 6pt and regular breaker bar. Didn't even need to use the impact driver. :-(

here's one from each of the four wheels and one of the new DP Accessories nuts:
    IMG_5896.jpg

I can attest to this, working at a CDJ dealership this is often the case with older vehicles. What we do is get a flat head and chisel off the outer cap to reveal the actual lug then remove the lug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slip 'N' Slide