Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mazdaspeed build thread

Did you maybe manage to overfill the trans? I wonder if it's seeping out the tailshaft housing.

Actually, did the shifter boots rip when you were working on it? Because that would probably let some gear oil funk into the car.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

Quote Originally Posted by amaff View Post
    Did you maybe manage to overfill the trans? I wonder if it's seeping out the tailshaft housing.

Actually, did the shifter boots rip when you were working on it? Because that would probably let some gear oil funk into the car.
    doubtful on the trans but ill really have to get underneath it to be sure. the shifter boot is one of my main theories right now. im really hoping to get under it this weekend and try to figure it out while im swapping the muffler. its just more of an annoyance for me right now but my girl ****ing hates it
    1997 mx-5

both lower boots are trashed so im hoping thats the culprit, going to order a rebuild kit and see how it fairs after that. best part is my other one can use the new bearings as its gotten pretty sloppy
    1997 mx-5

Quote Originally Posted by Shwing View Post
    both lower boots are trashed so im hoping thats the culprit, going to order a rebuild kit and see how it fairs after that. best part is my other one can use the new bearings as its gotten pretty sloppy
    Best $15 you'll spend on your car:

http://miataroadster.com/miataroadst...px?aid=9257807
    (choose the one that matches your VIN range)
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    D Prepared Miata

horray for another productive day! Found the leak! it had a small transmission leak coming from the back up switch so hopefully no more gear oil stink! im still going to get some new boots to make sure the problem is solved but it helped for sure!

Also found the rattle thats been driving me crazy was just one of the bolts for the bracing on the bottom was a little loose and allowing some movement. Also swapped the muffler back to stock and it sounded soooo much better on the way home, much happier. Topped all of that off with finally getting to up the ride height and i think its at a much more practical height now so hopefully speed bumps will be a little less scary (and now the lift arms actually fit underneath without jacking it up).

Was a nice feeling on the way home to have a quiet rattleless and smell free drive
    1997 mx-5

replaced the shifter boots yesterday and that's killed the rest of the smell, did a much better job of killing some noises as well than I would have expected.
    1997 mx-5

Man, you are knocking sh!t out on this car. It seems like every other day you've completed another task. Nice!!
    Lee - '06 Sunlight Silver Touring | Mazdaspeed springs & sways | SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by CaveRacing View Post
    Man, you are knocking sh!t out on this car. It seems like every other day you've completed another task. Nice!!
    haha well thankfully most of what I've had to do have all been either basic, or fairly cheap. I have access to a lift and all the tools so I've been able to do a bunch on the weekends. though now that all the smaller stuff is getting wrapped up time to take some time in between and do some of the more major work I want to do.

its been rewarding though. I like watching everything come together in a reasonable time. thinking next thing may be new breaks and whats sounding like one wheel bearing.
    1997 mx-5