Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mazdaspeed build thread

Talking mazdaspeed build thread

So as some of you saw in the other thread I was debating on buying an 04 mazdaspeed, well the car is now in my driveway so the fun begins!!!

First off the car I feel is an excellent base for my plans which will be a car that will be fully capable of being a DD while having some fun on the occasional track day/mountain run. Im not looking to make the absolute fastest thing out there so driveablity will be my number one focus. It already has a great start to it with tien flex coilovers and the r theory rear diffusor (actually chassis mounted not just bumper) , upgraded radiator and intercooler and a harddog so that saves me some money in the mods department, also the buddy club exhaust sounds great as well so I get to leave that alone.

First plan of attack will be the intake, im thinking of using a joe's intake of Miata.net. I keep hearing great things about them and the price is amazing. Next will be upgrading the down pipe. Now I originally had plans to mess with the ecu as I kept hearing about how much folks didn't like them but im not sure if either A. it really doesn't bother me that much, or B. if the ecu had been messed with before hand though the only reason I have to think this is I hear about issues with boost coming on late but it seems to kick into full boost around the 3500rpm range with no notable jump in between that and redline.

I'd also like to repaint or replace the hood and trunk lid at some point as the clear coat is pretty faded but isn't awful so I can live with it for now. Going to take it up to the shop this weekend and get it on the lift so I can completely go through everything and change out all of the fluids and put a new clutch in, then it should be ready for some fun just before spring!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shwing; 02-14-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    1997 mx-5

Looks good! What kind of clutch do you plan on putting in it?
    If you plan to add more power down the road, might be worth the time and money to upgrade to something a little more "beefy" while you're under there.

Quote Originally Posted by DanBrown View Post
    Looks good! What kind of clutch do you plan on putting in it?
    If you plan to add more power down the road, might be worth the time and money to upgrade to something a little more "beefy" while you're under there.
    i had thoughts about that but as the car came with a brand new exedy kit it made for an easy decision lol
    1997 mx-5

Quote Originally Posted by Shwing View Post
    i had thoughts about that but as the car came with a brand new exedy kit it made for an easy decision lol
    Oh I feel you on that. Could always sell it then put it toward a stronger one, but thats a PIA.

yup, I doubt i'll need a stronger one anytime soon anyways but I can always put another one in later on down the line.
    1997 mx-5

just also talked with joe about his intakes and he wont be taking any orders for at least a month so that gives me time to tiddy up things before I can place my order
    1997 mx-5

well found some nice things today that i didnt originally notice while looking around in the engine bay. A. the throttle inlet tube has already been replaced with a forged one so no need to worry about that! cant figure out which brand though, doest look like begi as all three bungs are on one side but nice nonetheless. also while poking underneath found some extra wires going to the bumper so i followed them to the loud *** airhorn thats been installed, that will be fun
    1997 mx-5

The stock ECU can get to about 200 whp with the right bolt ons. The easiest is FM's voodoo box, I believe Rick02 has one for sale. Get a good intake and a 3" downpipe and exhaust and then stop. 200 whp is an absolute hoot, and a good 60 horsepower more than stock. While having a 300 horsepower beast can be entertaining, you'll find that most of us that had them, ended up going back into stock or near stock setups. As Nick often says, 220 whp is the sweet spot for this chassis.
    Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/
    RacingBrake11"BBK/SS HDDD/Nakamae everything/KGWorks/Zoom/We're done!

Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayfrog View Post
    The stock ECU can get to about 200 whp with the right bolt ons. The easiest is FM's voodoo box, I believe Rick02 has one for sale. Get a good intake and a 3" downpipe and exhaust and then stop. 200 whp is an absolute hoot, and a good 60 horsepower more than stock. While having a 300 horsepower beast can be entertaining, you'll find that most of us that had them, ended up going back into stock or near stock setups. As Nick often says, 220 whp is the sweet spot for this chassis.
    and thats about what my power goals are. im not wanting to go crazy just have something i can fun with. Everything right now is maintenance and getting the car 100% after that intake and dp im sure will be in order, prob go ahead and throw a wideband in and then i'll prob putt around for a bit before swapping the ecu.
    1997 mx-5

Replacement ecu's can be a huge pita. Remember OEMs spend millions testing and tuning, you can't replicate that in your driveway, and in the case of post 95' OBD II cars, it's illegal. Yes, I know some guys who change out their ecu's annually to pass smog testing, but it's a huge pain, and getting the stock ECU ready to test can take a couple hundred miles. I know Ben91 who works for DIY can get his cars ready in a fraction of those miles, but I can't. I'd rather have the stock ECU with a voodoo box or similar, and have a car that is civil in traffic and doesn't constantly stall out should I have to use the defroster.
    Red '91, MSM longblock/BEGI-FM hybrid turbo w/2871r/3"Enthuza/Hydra2.7/700cc/Ohlins/

Bell engineering can retune the stock ECU for any mods you make and also correct a lot of the issues the stock tune has.

Replacement ecu's can be a huge pita. Remember OEMs spend millions testing and tuning, you can't replicate that in your driveway, and in the case of post 95' OBD II cars, it's illegal. Yes, I know some guys who change out their ecu's annually to pass smog testing, but it's a huge pain, and getting the stock ECU ready to test can take a couple hundred miles. I know Ben91 who works for DIY can get his cars ready in a fraction of those miles, but I can't. I'd rather have the stock ECU with a voodoo box or similar, and have a car that is civil in traffic and doesn't constantly stall out should I have to use the defroster.
    oh i know it can be a pain my plan for the ecu was to get a megasquirt and pay my local tuner lol (megasquirt is what he prefers) i can do most stuff myself but i feel like getting a good tune is something for a pro thats done it for ahwile. thankfully for me smog isnt an issue as we dont have any emissions in barrow
    1997 mx-5

Quote Originally Posted by 91LudeSiT View Post
    Bell engineering can retune the stock ECU for any mods you make and also correct a lot of the issues the stock tune has.
    i've given this option a thought as well but havent been completely sold on it but i have plenty of time for research before i pull that trigger and like i said in another post i honestly dont know if the ecu hasnt been tuned in the past (guy i got it from hadnt had it long and someone did a fair amount of work to it) as the boost comes on pretty quickly at around 3500 and stays fairly smooth up to red line which is counter to what i hear most folks say about the stock ecu i just have no clue how else to tell if its ever been messed with or not
    1997 mx-5

hmmm looked into the voodoo box some more and I had no clue their price point was that attractive. are they really that simple to use? if this would get me to a smooth 220 I think that would fit pretty much perfectly
    1997 mx-5

Rotornut's been running it on his FM II for a couple years and has only had positive things to say about it.

Rotornut's been running it on his FM II for a couple years and has only had positive things to say about it.
    interestingggg im going to have to do a bunch more research on it now. it looks like for my intended purpose it might actually be a perfect fit and would be like 800 less than everything else once i got them tuned. much research indeed
    1997 mx-5

well fixed the alternator whine today thank god. i have no clue how he was driving it like this, it was driving me insane. thankfully my guess that the new head unit was the cause was correct, ran a better ground to it and all the whines gone. one more thing checked off the list
    1997 mx-5

and if this threads made anyone else want their own 04 vr msm Miata you too can go buy one today at mini of mall of Georgia for the low low steal price of just 16k Just thought everyone else could use the laugh

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=MIATA
    1997 mx-5

well today was a good day! got the new clutch in and everything went smoothly with that. also changed all the fluids. We then went to change out the front o2 and holy **** is that thing a GIANT pain in the ***. was completely rusted in and no amount of heating it with the torch would get it to move so ended up taking the down pipe off and FINALLY got it out. Was a great drive home with no more bearing noise and a CEL free dash. car just feels nice and refreshed now very happy with the days worth of work.

Also started messing around with the coilovers and found a much MUCH more comfortable setting. rides awesome now with no complaints. Hooray for a hard days work.
    1997 mx-5

we'll im thinking this weekend the buddy club exhaust is coming off and being replaced with the stock one. The more i drive with the more i dont really like it right now. I think it may be due to the fact that everything else is stock other than the muffler but the tone is just kind of draining and just seems to reverberate through the car at mid range rpm's. will have to see how the stock one sounds this weekend to figure it out.

In a separate issue i've found that after i put my new clutch in and swapped all my fluids a week ago that the car now gets the distinct smell of gear oil here and there that i cannot figure out for the life of me. I only smell it here and there while driving but once i come to a stop it gets a little more noticeable, my girl cant stand it. My jack was on loan this weekend so i couldnt really get under it but it i havent been able to find any apparent leaks or issues. I would think any residual that got on the muffler during the clutch and fluid swap would have burned off already
    1997 mx-5