Thread: Tire shop who won't damage my wheels?

Default Tire shop who won't damage my wheels?

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of refinishing my wheels, and I had to fix a lot of curb marks from the PO with JB Weld. I used etching primer and I will be using just duplicolor wheel paint and I will let it cure for a week, but i'm worried that any tire shop I take it to will scratch the **** out of my freshly painted lip. Do any of you know of a trustworthy shop that you know for a fact will actually take the time to not scratch my wheel? I got the tires taken off at discount tire, and that's where I was planning on getting them mounted but I've read some horror stories about scratching wheels and now I'm a little iffy. Thanks guys.

Gran Turismo East is excellent. If painting wheels I get the tires mounted first and leave them unseated. Once the clear coat is done then seat and balance.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net
    2004 RX-8, 2005 MCS, 08 Red GT, 1992 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

Oh man that's a great idea, thanks!

Or also if you're doing plastidip wait till they are mounted.

Cant tell you how many people come in to get tires after just platidipping their wheels and complain that it came off... give me a break lol

1994 NA8

Ah thanks, not plastidipping though, I've seen it on my exact wheels and it didn't look great. Thanks for the tip though.

Rspeed? I took some 15x9 Advani S1's there to get some 245 VR-1's mounted (after getting the "you're kidding" look at NTB & Discount). They did it - even after admitting that it was a bit of a struggle - without a scratch or blemish.

I would certainly trust GTE. I've had mostly good results in that regard with discount tire, at least better than all the other chain shops.
    2012 Spirited Green Mazda2 Touring 5MT
    1999 Emerald Mica/Tan Miata 5MT
    2007 Frontier Nismo Crew Cab 4x4

Well, I went ahead and decided to do the "put tires (without seating) before finishing coat of paint" thing and took it to a local tire shop "Dallas Tire" They put on all the tires and valve stems for $37. Only made one small scratch on the inside of my wheel lip that took off one coat of primer. Going to wet sand them and start painting now, will seat tires later. Thanks guys!

coming from someone who mounts and balances tires daily if youre rattle caning the wheels it will not hold up. It will be relatively easy to scratch no matter how many coats you do. You may get by for a little while but eventually it will chip off. This is why when I want my wheels painted now I just have someone that paints do base clear.
    Track Minded Performance

Yeah I know people have pretty negative opinions about rattle can painting wheels but I just went for it. Having a shop do the clear would have been a great idea but I've already got the tires on and 3 of 4 of them seated and I'm kind of sick of dealing with it lol. I used this same paint on the hub caps of my daily driver and it hasn't chipped in the 9 years I've had them painted, although I know hubcaps aren't really exposed to as much of the crap that alloy wheels are - from the brake dust and such. Since you mount and balance tires daily could you answer a question for me? I have one wheel that I cant get the tire to bead up on. The other three popped right into place without issue, but this one just won't go. Seeing as how I'm just doing this in my garage with a little tiny "glovebox" compressor, I'm sure the pro's would have no problem getting it to bead up when I take them to get balanced...which I planned on doing next weekend. Do you think the tire or bead could become damaged / warped from being on the wheel at a funky angle? Just wondering if I need to take it somewhere on monday just to seat it.

Thanks.

Just lack of volume. If you have a ratchet step squeeze the center of the tire. Then carefully seat.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net

Since a tire shop usually beads tires, we use lube to mount the tire. The lube also allows for easier beadjng. Try using a bit of soap and water as lube and air it up.

Be careful not to air it up past the tires limitations or you could blow up the tire and get hurt. My supervisor had a tire blow up on him as he was beading it manually and broke his arm.

The tire is fine, won't be damaged sitting unbeaded. The tire stretched way more than it is right now just to get mounted. It's fine.

1994 NA8

Cool thanks guys. I tried the ratchet strap and soap / water thing, but I couldn't seem to get the strap tight enough to push the tire down, its kind of a cheap-o strap though. As long as I don't end up damaging my brand new tire I'm happy and I'll let the pro's do it when I take them to get balanced. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Lube helps a lot. Also I know back when I did tires. I'd have a wheel that was a pita. General I'd have to manually pull the front bead into place. Then while inflating I'd have to push the tire down to help the rear bead get close to the metal.

This would happen with cheap tires or strong sideway tires. Just tires where the gab was to huge and to much air could just fly out.

If I was you is mount the wheel to the car. Pull the tire towards you till its full seated(or at least looks it) then while inflation push on the tire so the rear bead gets closer to the rim. Mounting it to the car will give you the hard mounting point similar to how I could push and pull the rim while it was mount on the changing machine.

That or yea just take it to a shop lol. I am lazy and now days I say F it and have someone else do it

Might need a bead bazooka. Take it to a shop

1994 NA8

I have seen a trucker with starting fluid and a lighter, three or 4 mini explosions and he got the tractor trailer tire seated. Impressive, scary stuff. Don't try this at home.
    Last edited by miatastuff; 02-20-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net

hahaha, I ALMOST considered the starting fluid trick, but then I realized that I had gone crazy, and that I would probably regret it.