Thread: Cycling

Default Cycling

Sup homies....been a little while.

So I have taken a step back from the physical part of racing and have gotten more into the side line, barking orders aspect of it. It's nice, but with the free time I have picked a new hobby to fix my need for speed. I started mountain biking to fill my adrenaline rush and so far its been great. Until I came across something called a Velodrome.

Mannnnn, was that the start to a terribly expensive hobby haha!. It is like nascar, going in a circle track with many different styles of racing held throughout events. Was curious as I have noticed many are older people than me and was curious if anyone else here does any cycling. Would love some riding buddies.

Here are my new whips

2001 Real Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 1

2009 Fuji Track Pro
    Last edited by Munky; 11-17-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    1995 Miata in progress

I mountain bike! I love it and hate that I can't go more often!
    2016 Trek X-Caliber 7

Only picture of it I can find at the moment!

I guess I resemble the older remark. I have a garage full of mostly road bikes including an updated 1989 Santana tandem, a USPS Trek 5200 and the "daily" Fuji Altamira Di2. I have an ancient GT full suspension mountain bike but it's like a British car, every other time I take it out it has to go to the shop for repair.
    Last edited by miatastuff; 11-18-2016 at 06:06 AM.
    David Luney - Suwanee GA
    miatastuff@bellsouth.net
    2004 RX-8, 2005 MCS, 08 Red GT, 1992 Spec Miata and a parts car or two.

I'd like to mountanbike more... but my free time has of late has been nil. I upgraded this year to a 2016 Specialized Rockhopper 29er not my pic - but looks just like this http://wheelworld.com/images/library...-210684-11.jpg but have mostly ridden it around the neighborhood lately just to get some miles in.
    The only thing that oughta be hella flushed is a toilet.
    http://www.miataramblings.blogspot.com

We need to go ride together whenever our free time aligns! I'm up your way often and ride Blankets Creek, Old Rope Mill, and Big Creek!

I may be the oldest that rides here - I have a Santa Cruz Superlight, a Rivendell Atlantis, a Fat City Monster Fat, a Gary Fisher Gemini tandem, and a few more lurking in the basement. If you get out near Loganville we can meet at Harbins or Tribble Mill.

I used to go watch races at the Dick Lane velodorome in East Point. Do they still do that on Friday night?

I've got a '15 Fuel Ex8 27.5. I upgraded the fork and shock to fox factory/kashima units and put a volume reducer in the shock. Also converted my drivetrain to shimano m800 1x11 30/42 with a raceface chainring, and use a one-up chainguide/bashguard. I usually ride chicopee, charleston park, and DuPont. This summer I rode the slickrock trail in Moab, UT and did some lift-access downhill stuff at Snowmass in colorado. It's been an awesome year for me for mountain biking.
    2012 Spirited Green Mazda2 Touring 5MT
    1999 Emerald Mica/Tan Miata 5MT
    2007 Frontier Nismo Crew Cab 4x4

I'd like to get started.

I ride around the city on my bike occasionally. If you want riding buddies, look into bike shops around the city. A bunch of them tend to do group rides once a week.
    Last edited by Beastinthebushes; 11-22-2016 at 02:13 AM.

No matter how many friends you think you have, the size of your funeral will depend on the weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    I don't want some dude's balls on my neck while I'm yelling at some Vietnamese guy.

Got some waterproof socks...no more numb toes after creek crossings in sub-freezing temps!

I picked up a pair of long legging cold gear and two long sleeve jerseys. It's gotten a bit chilly lately. This new "no brake" thing is adventurous to say the least.
    1995 Miata in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Munky View Post
    I picked up a pair of long legging cold gear and two long sleeve jerseys. It's gotten a bit chilly lately. This new "no brake" thing is adventurous to say the least.
    Just turn uphill... Even into that guy...

Finally checked out Big Creek last weekend, it's a great little system. The freeride area is fun, except for when it's time to go back up for another descent. I now have an even greater appreciation for the lift access stuff I did in Colorado.