Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New Miata, new Build Thread (will it Exocet?)

Excellent review of Charlotte. Very accurate and concise. I was pleased how well-behaved the participants were at this event, and the issues were handled very well among them. I really appreciated everyone's patience as we sorted out running at this new location. The track workers were fantastic.

From a stock-ish, slow 1.6 Miata, it was a great experience and I enjoyed finding my spots to catch the much faster cars out there, like the braking point at T1. The banking was a treat and I was glad I put my event decal on the lower left of my windshield because I was looking out the upper left corner most of the time I was on the oval. I expected the oval to be smoother, but because it wasn't it helped keep people honest, I think. The transitions on and off the oval are much smoother and better than those at Autoclub in Fontana, CA.

I'm proud how much help the regular Jzilla participants helped at this event, it would be fun to return in the future. Dustin did a GREAT job running this!

Dude! Riding with you on Saturday was one of the highlights of the day. Boost kicks everything up a notch! Riding in an Exocet sport is so different than even the Eliminator; the visibility is unparalleled. That makes for a really fun and connected experience. Congrats on the new personal best!

Thanks for the kind words guys. Learned a lot this season and look forward to a few more events. Maybe get that personal best down a bit more

Current: Exocet (Turbo!)
    Red '02 Turbo | 2010 - 2015 ~~~ 987 Boxster | 2012-2014 ~~~ Z4 ///M Roadster | 2015 - 2015

September 22, 2017 - Road Atlanta with JZilla

The day started with a Hell Cat learning how to roll over in T7. Turns out the same idiots who flip Hell Cats on the 2nd lap of the day are the same kind of people who think a power slide on track is cool and wear shorts and flipflops on track...Darwin was near by for this one. Everyone was ok but say it with me kids...no shorts, no sandles, no service!

No new personal best lap time but there was a lot of traffic (and I was a wimpy driver). Did however gain 5 MPH top speed with a better T7 exit. Hit 127 MPH by GPS into 10a.

Followed Sierra Bravo through T12 and T1. Nearly ran off the track and was unable to match his line. Nice work!

Instructed and out of town Exocet owner who was new to track days. Had a blast. Learned a lot.

Best lap of the day was a 1:45 in heavy traffic. (Excuses, excuses....)

lessons learned:
    Better corner exit in T7 is worh a lot of speed and time to 10a.

Take the curbs at T3, T5 and 10a/b. There's a lot of time there.

First run with the new tow dolly. Works great, nice to have a trailer I can store at home and doesn't weigh 2x what the car does.
    IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

Great to see Jason - Bad Luck back on track after a 2 year hiatus.
    IMG_3586.jpg

also fun to watch the CrossThreaded crew
    IMG_3583.jpg

Didnt mind being passed by this one bit
    IMG_3585.jpg

Finally, Ryan Powell "won the track day"! New trophy is in play for a totally subjective decision on who "won" the JZilla event.
    IMG_3646.jpg

Bumpstops are shot, time for new suspension! That's tire rub despite running 225 NT01s on 0 offset 8" wheels with 35mm spacers...
    IMG_3653.jpg

More Aero Updates:
    Tested at Road Atlanta:

Vented hood with 20% smaller nose opening.

Result: Car overheated (has not happened with normal hood in similar conditions, no mechanical issues). Suspect limited airflow. Possibly under/over hood pressures are. It what we expected.

Car was *extremely* tail happy with vented hood, windshield and splitter.

No discernible difference in time between vented hood and standard hood. There seemed to be some difference in "feeling" but it was very subjective. Ran both hoods without windshield. Vented seemed "softer" in the front. (Producing some lift!?).

***As usual running no hood with the splitter continues to be the fastest.

**New suspicion about the splitter:
    1) two Miata guys added coroplast to the A arms and other areas to smooth under car airflow at my suggestion. Both gained several MPH of top speed (with comparable corner exit speeds).

2) after hitting some curbing my rear splitter mount broke allowing the splitter to drop at the rear (tip up at the front). I could hear/feel the splitter flutter up and down on the high speed straight. This means it want producing down force at all when north of 100mph.

*) wondering if the advantage I'm seeing from the splitter is really a result of the splitter acting as a belly pan, not a splitter at all.

Further testing of this planned for Exofest in October.

Red '02 Turbo | 2010 - 2015 ~~~ 987 Boxster | 2012-2014 ~~~ Z4 ///M Roadster | 2015 - 2015

Did someone say faster laptimes? 245 Hoosier S80 full race slicks. This will be interesting.

553BA8DF-93C7-4C2C-9239-5E76162FA040.jpg

Grip! Something I need more of as well!

How does the exocet handle the outside portion of the the track out curb at 10b? That's the only curb I usually avoid, or at least the outside 1/2 of it. I didn't even notice Jason make it out! I was on babysitting duty in between sessions so I didn't get around too much. And how exactly does one "win" a track day? I want to win one!
    2012 Spirited Green Mazda2 Touring 5MT
    1999 Emerald Mica/Tan Miata 5MT
    2007 Frontier Nismo Crew Cab 4x4

Eric, Exocet is solid through 10a and 10b. 10a I usually cut the apex with driver side wheels, 10b is a sharp turn inkissing the rumble strip at the apex and Track out most of the way to the outside rumble rarely do I actually use the rumble in the exo but if I get on boost early it has happened. I had a nasty close call in my Z4m out there so I’m a bit conservative.

Also, had he chance to drive your green car after you sold it to nick. Man you did a nice job on that car! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this rx8!

Winning the track day it totally subjective and requires 3 things:
    1) a notable event for the driver and/or car
    2) public notice of the winner's event
    3) commitment that the winner will pass the trophy on at the next JZilla event

lets see how long we can keep this going.

Thanks. The miata was definitely a lot of fun, and I already miss it. I plan on doing more street driving and traveling to more tracks with the rx8 so it will be a bit less focused than the miata. Also I've been told that 14 session days are not a good idea until I upgrade the water and oil cooling systems, so it might be awhile before I get to the fun mods. Who came up with the trophy idea? I like it.
    2012 Spirited Green Mazda2 Touring 5MT
    1999 Emerald Mica/Tan Miata 5MT
    2007 Frontier Nismo Crew Cab 4x4

I have a tow dolly story. I met a guy (at the race track) who used a tow dolly to pull his Miata (in neutral) to the track. He pulled it a good distance (Michigan maybe) to Rd. Atlanta. When he left his diff was fine. When he arrived it was grenaded. There were a few guys present while he was telling his story and a couple of them were sure that the reason the diff went was because the ring and pinion were reverse loaded- meaning the wheels were pushing the backside of the ring gear teeth against the backside of the pinion gear teeth. That's ok for backing up, but not pulling a bunch of miles. They also mentioned rotation of transmission parts in the opposite direction and lack of lubrication. They decided the best solution is to pull the drive shaft.

Just figured I'd throw this out there, in my mind it does seem plausible. I've seen tow trucks dolly rwd cars backwards- though I'm not sure what else is involved.

Rob, Good point and I've tried to find a solid answer to towing with rear wheels on the ground but mainly come up with internet forum crap.

I know my Z4 is specifically designed to be towed with the rear wheels on the ground.

I towed the car to Savannah last year with the rear on the ground and had no issues. Couple trips to RA and AMP on the tow dolly too with no issues yet.

Eric, as for the trophy, I came up with the idea. This needs to be a JZilla thing if for no reason beyond that we can tell AJ he's wrong when he says "nobody is going to win a trophy" at the driver meeting.

Just wanted to chime in. EVERY time I've had a Miata towed, I always tell the operator it's a RWD car and it has LSD. They will always put the rear wheels on a dolly if it's a hook truck.

We were discussing another trophy at the RA Jzilla event. We thought about a set of bronzed flip flops and labeling it the "that guy" trophy.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 10-12-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    We were discussing another trophy at the RA Jzilla event. We thought about a set of bronzed flip flops and labeling it the "that guy" trophy.
    Oh my god that's absolutely savage. Although I feel like it should be flip flops and a pair of shorts.

Please,please find a way to bronze some shorts and flip flops. That would be amazing!