Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival Guide aka "THE RULES"

Default Survival Guide aka "THE RULES"

The general rule of thumb is simple: Contribute to the site in an ethical, positive, or community-entertaining manner. If you do not, you will be given an infraction by an admin/mod.

> Respect my moderators. What they say goes, as if I said it. Period. No exceptions. End of story. If you have a problem with a moderator, post documentation in the Private Support forum.

> No abuse of ANY of the site features.

> Post no illegal comments (racism, threats of bodily harm, etc), copyrighted content, hacking/cracking/password content, or explicit adult content (such as vulgar sexual content/jokes).

> No nudity or graphic visual adult content in Avatars, the Uploads or public Forums.

> Sales or promotion of multiple products, special order items, or services that appear to be business-like (not a single item for sale by a private party) REQUIRE a vendor account. This includes linking to sites with referral links or other for-profit or for-product situations (i.e., free iPods).

> Listing fraudulent, misleading, or otherwise non-existent products in the classifieds. This will result in your personal information being listed publicly on the site as a warning to others.

> No spamming the site.

> No attempting to hack, crash, or otherwise disrupt the MX5 Atlanta server or site.

> No trolling.

> Posting misleading links (i.e., it says one thing but goes somewhere else.)

> Maintain a good fellowship with all members.

> No personal attacks on other members.

> ABSOLUTELY no classifieds hijacking, price comparing, or cross-selling in someone else’s classified listing. (i.e., "I'll pay more than your current buyer to get this item" or "You can get it for less on eBay" or "I'll sell you one for less" or "You're asking too much" or "Don't sell Toyota stuff here").

> All private party items for sale should use the Classifieds.

> Please do not register multiple user accounts - one user, one account please. Multiple accounts found will be deleted.

> Do not post a person’s private information (like their address, phone number, email, pictures, and name unless cleared by the moderation team).

> Please keep signatures to standard sizes.

> If there is anyone that you don't get along with, you can choose to ignore them under your Buddy/Ignore Lists.

> We do not have the time (or desire) to babysit members. There are plenty of members that the administrators wouldn't consider friends, but it's not our job to silence members that we don't agree with. If someone says something that breaks the site rules, the easiest method is to contact that member directly. They have the ability to edit their own posts, and if you ask politely they may choose to do so. If they decide not to, please report the post.

------------------------------------------

INFRACTION SYSTEM

> Violation of any of the rules may result in your account losing several "Infraction Points" After 25 points, the site will automatically ban you.

> Infractions can be given by the moderators.

> You can review your Infraction points in your User CP. If there are none listed, you don't have any.

> Some infractions "expire" after a period of time (i.e., 10 days or a year.) If you accumulate 25 points during any period, you'll be banned.

------------------------------------------

Why these rules exist?

I created this site as a place for everyone in Georgia with an interest in Miata's who found nowhere to converse with other people of the same passion without having to trawl through masses of unrelated posts on other websites.

This community is a place where I expect everyone to be treated fairly. I never want to see anyone being belittled, bullied, fights break out, or etc. It's a fairly simple premise. I simply ask you to respect the time and effort I've put into this website by acting like a responsible adult. If you're about to post something that you think may upset someone, the likelihood is you shouldn't be posting it, so just think a little bit.

Nobody is exempt from these rules. Be it moderators, vendors, paying members or regular members, everyone will be punished in the same way.

I really like this place and for the most part I like you guys too

So let's make things easy and just avoid creating any drama. The less problems you cause, the less work you make me do, so about it eh?

Thank you,

-Jack Maddox
    Mx5 Atlanta Site Owner

A little bit more info on how the infraction system works...

Q: What is this infraction system?
    A: The infraction system is a tool used by moderators and administrators to warn and/or discipline users who violate forums rules. This system enables the moderators and admins to maintain a positive community.

Q: Why did you implement this system?
    A: This infraction system was implemented to improve the ability of moderators to moderate the forum. Not only is this new tool invaluable to the moderators, but it is also a great advantage for members as well since they can now view their infractions and infraction points and can see how far away they are from receiving disciplinary action (i.e. temp ban, perm ban, etc.).

Q: What is this warn thing I see in my UserCP?
    A: This shows you in a percentage how far you are away from being disciplined (i.e. temp ban, perm ban, etc.)

Q: How does the infraction system work?
    A: The infraction system is based on 25 points. There are different point assignments for different infractions. When a user reaches 25 points they are banned for a time period set by the moderator or administrator that gave them the last infraction.

Q: What are the infraction point assignments?
    A: Point guideline assignments are listed below. Please note that this list is not all inclusive and that this is only a guideline as the moderators and administrators have the ability to give more or less points for a particular infraction.
    4 - Spamming/Multiple/Cross Posting
    4- Classifieds hijacking or taking a thread off-topic
    5 - Misleading Link (linking an to a URL not described in the link description)
    5 - Being a Tool (intentionally being inflammatory/frustrating/stupid/rude/offensive/ etc. see: hemorrhoid-like)
    5 - Signature Size Over Forum Limits

5 - Posting Inappropriate Content
    (Not Work Safe outside the off-topic forum and not labeled "NWS" in thread title; the only exception to this applies to the NWS premium members forum)
    10 - Flaming (hostile and/or insulting interaction)
    10 - Disrespect Towards Forum Leaders (this includes via private messages)
    10 - Racist/Prejudice Remarks
    10 - Vending Without Paid Vendor Status (Please contact ME via PM to discuss becoming a vendor)
    15 - Posting illegal content
    100 - Troll / Spam Bot Ban
    All repeat offenses start off as DOUBLE their initial values.
    Q: How do I know if I receive an infraction?
    A: Not only will you see your warning level increase in your UserCP, but you should receive a private message stating that you received an infraction, how many points you received, and the reason for the infraction.

Q: I have an infraction but I never received a private message.
    A: Make sure you have private messaging turned on. If so, the moderator or administrator may have forgot to have the warning system send you a private message regarding the incident.

Q: Do warning points expire?
    A: Yes. Moderators have agreed to a 6 month period as a guideline. We wanted an expiration period where members could be held accountable for violations over a long period of time but yet to not have a violation stay on a member's record forever.

Q: What happens if I reach 25 points?
    A: You will be banned for a time period set by the moderator or administrator that gave you the last infraction. Your warning and infraction history will be used to determine whether you will be banned for a specific time span or permanently.

Q: What is the difference between a warning and an infraction?
    A: A warning is notice that you have violated a rule of the forum except that you receive no points for it. The only difference between a warning and an infraction is that an infraction results in points that count toward some disciplinary action in the event that you accumulate the 25 point threshold.

Q: Who can see my warning points?
    A: The only people who can see your warning points are you, moderators, and administrators. Other members cannot see them, they can only see their own.

Q: What happens if I commit the same offense twice?
    A: You will be assigned double the point value for that particular infraction. (i.e.: Signature offense = 1 point, second Signature offense = 2 points, third Signature offense = 4 points, etc.)

Q: Why was I given more points for an offense than what is listed in the guidelines?
    A: Either you have committed the same offense more than once or the moderator felt there was a good reason to give you more points than what was listed. Please remember that the warning point guidelines are just that, guidelines, and that the moderator or administrator has the final decision in how many points you are given.

Q: Why was I warned when the offense I committed is not even listed in the warning point guideline?
    A: The list is not all inclusive. It would take too much time to list all the violations you could be warned for, and as stated before, the warning point guideline is a guideline for moderators and administrators to use when assigning warning points. If you commit an action that is more severe than an offense listed in the guideline, then most likely you will receive more points than what is listed, but it is up to the moderator or administrator to make that call.

Q: What if I believe I was unjustly warned?
    A: Please contact via private messaging the moderator or administrator that warned you. If for some reason you can't come to a resolution with a moderator please contact an supermoderator or administrator.

Q: If I do get banned, how long will I be banned?
    A: Most bans time limits vary. Troll bans will most likely be permanent and users who are given a timeout (a period of time for a user to cool off) are banned for 24 hours. Please note that moderators take into account all the warnings on your account and that multiple offenses are likely to get you banned for a longer time than just a one time mistake.

I would also like to make clear, that no posts before these rules were made are eligible for the infraction system. I'm giving everybody a clean slate to start off with.

Good job I say!

my old fvck remark to Kurt was not in sincerity...dont give me a point lol
    Quote Originally Posted by VERY FLUSH View Post
    Trust me.my education is far surpass other people

LOL fortunately I can tell the difference.

well he never came back with a remark, hope i didnt hurt his feelings rofl
    Quote Originally Posted by VERY FLUSH View Post
    Trust me.my education is far surpass other people

Feelings? I have none! haha

Give him 24 points Jack!

j/k.....
    http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13&dateline=123560545  3

Quote Originally Posted by JDM88 View Post
    Good job I say!

Wait a tick... JDM88 spams the site on a daily basis with a bot program... hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

Quote Originally Posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post

Wait a tick... JDM88 spams the site on a daily basis with a bot program... hmm...
    BAN EM' lol hes so JDM tyte y0
    16' VW Golf R | 97 Salvagewon Eliminator | 90 SC'd Track Project

What if some one asks me to make some thing or I offer to make some ting for pay,is that vendor?What is I make a dozen shifter knobs and offer them for sale for $10 dollars each is that vendor?Please clarify I m dense at times
    I make Stuff....shiny,Metal Stuff.

Not really, because you're not a for-profit business... You're going along the lines of telling everyone you have access to a machine and they're paying your for time and materials to make something for them. Basically, we're not going to call you a vendor. Well, at least I'm not, Jack may see it differently, I'll let him make the final call.

Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

It's a cloudy subject but if you are like Eric said, then I have no problem if you're helping people out. It's normally not too hard to tell who's a genuine business or not.

As long as its a few shift knobs I don't think there should be any complaints, but if anyone has a problem with that please get in touch with me.

Groovy Ill let everyone Know when they are done
    I make Stuff....shiny,Metal Stuff.

Not that becoming a supporting vendor is a bad thing around here
    I'm sure it wouldn't cost more than the profit of a few shift knobs to pay for vendor status..and you get your own sub-forum and a cool bright colored screen name

Personally, i'm not bothered by someone selling stuff on here as long as their reputable and not pushing their wears down our throats....it is a free country afterall

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-MX5ATLanta.com View Post
    I would also like to make clear, that no posts before these rules were made are eligible for the infraction system. I'm giving everybody a clean slate to start off with.

Just curious. What about posts that were there then deleted by a Mod preventing any recourse?

Never mind. It was a rhetorical question.
    13' Liquid Silver PRHT

Even when we delete something, we (the admins/mods) can still see the posts, unless an admin does a permanent delete. Have no fear, we see all. lol

Since there seems to be some confusion as to what the definition of trolling is, here's a few different definitions of the action and the person as reference:

Trolling - Being a tool or prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on another member, because it's the internet and, hey, you can. When done in a moderated internet community, this can result in banning.
    Trolling - Posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
    Trolling - Attempting to get a rise out of someone who you are not on a friendly basis with. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other acts of foolishness.
    Trolling -The act of appearing on internet forums and boards with malicious intent or purposefully antagonizing other people.

Troll - One who deliberately posts with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.
    Troll - A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject, as well as thinks every member of the forum is talking to or about them and only them.

If you find yourself not getting along with most everyone else on a message board, or everyone seems to be against you, chances are you're the troll.

Well alrighty then. I think that about covers the trolling.
    13' Liquid Silver PRHT

Well said.

1991 UK-spec MX-5 - https://www.facebook.com/djinovaband <<< METAL!