Thread: Random misfire on a 2000 miata

Default Random misfire on a 2000 miata

I installed the mazdaspeed intake cam into my motor and right after it has a misfire,when I read the code it was a random misfire...trying to figure this out...plugs,wires are all good.

any ideas?
    2014 Jet Black Mazda 2 Touring

Assuming the cam was installed correctly it could be your coil pack going bad.
    1999 10th AE # 5620, Mods: It's Stock..ish.

Considering that you had to mess with the timing belt to change the cam, I'd start looking there first. Did you remove the timing belt or just secure the cam gear into the correct orientation while the cam was out?

Also, double check all of the electrical connections that you might have undone to change the cam: coil pack, Cam Angle Sensor (on the front of the valve cover), etc. Make sure the connections are tight, correct, and water free (some people wash their engine bay during projects).

Quote Originally Posted by miata5620
    Eric's Garage ... You buy all the parts I tell you to and you will have a killer car... If you want other parts used your car will suck and it will cost you more...

I've checked everything,I ziptied the belt...but it could have slipped some I guess,that is my first thing I'm gonna check...I checked the CAS,its solid,unless its just gone bad.

when you push in the clutch it will drop all the way to like 300rpm or lower then bounce up then back down again...and it kinda put puts when driving it.

Dropped it off at the shop yesterday afternoon,they called me and told me it was full tooth off and all the power is back now and not dying anymore...but they said the idle does have some lobe to it,is that normal with the bp5a cam?

havn't been able to get it yet.