PDA

View Full Version : coil pack bolt size

westend
02-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I am looking for the bolt that holds on the coil pack on a 97 Miata. or does any one know the bolt size maybe I could pick up one at Ace Hardware

I needed it my hands by next Friday if at all possible.

Thanks

metalman
02-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Hmmm I dont recall the thread pitch but I am sure I have a few.
There are two different types of bolts on the coil pack, the two on top are one type, the bottom bolt is rather specific
in design.

j.slow
02-14-2011, 12:21 PM
If you are looking for the lower one, I'd say just skip it. The two upper ones do a good job at keeping the coil pack in place.

Masta Phixa
02-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Fairly recent discussion of this at Miata.net. Talked about leaving the bottom bold out due to the difficulty it poses r/r the coil pack. Several people had the coil pack bracket crack, and Steve's is cracked so I can say it's probably needed.

westend
02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
It is the lower one. I have read that if it's not there the coil pack can crack. Has any one else heard this?

RotorNutFD3S
02-14-2011, 05:26 PM
I haven't. I removed mine on my red car a week into owning it when I replaced the valve cover gasket. Never reinstalled it and never had a problem. I know quite a few people that don't ever use it again too. YMMV.

iscariot
02-14-2011, 05:33 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_XkxLua5W3H0/TBxV31W52jI/AAAAAAAAFLw/xGWQcbHeh5Q/s800/IMG_20100618_200602.jpg

is how I "fixed" mine.

I seem to recall that the pitch is m12x1.5, which is somewhat of an odd pitch (not at lowes, but its at ace). I can doublecheck when I get home tonight - I bought http://www.threadtoolsupply.com/wall-mounted-thread-checker.html for just such an occasion. :)

metalman
02-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Iscariot's fix is a good one.
Leaving the bottom bolt out does often result in a cracked bracket.

Masta Phixa
02-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Steve, we can modify your cp mount as described above. It seems to me that bolt has some sort of large shank on it. We could probably fab something up. It's not holding tiles on the space shuttle. 12x1.5 can be a bit tricky to find locally sometimes. I'll have a look around. I bet if we found one 20mm long we could make a spacer that would engage the rubber mount on the cp mount.

westend
02-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Steve, we can modify your cp mount as described above. It seems to me that bolt has some sort of large shank on it. We could probably fab something up. It's not holding tiles on the space shuttle. 12x1.5 can be a bit tricky to find locally sometimes. I'll have a look around. I bet if we found one 20mm long we could make a spacer that would engage the rubber mount on the cp mount.

That would work.

My guess Steve is you could do anything you set your mind to :). If the coil pack is cracked should I get a new one?

For some reason I thought the cracked coil pack came off the new engine, but thinking about it for a second I know that's not right.

Masta Phixa
02-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Let me try welding it first. I can weld, but I'm not a welder if you know what I mean. I just grind the ugly off.

nickt93
02-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Interesting feedback here about that bottom coil pack bolt. In the instructions for the BEGi coolant reroute I'm doing right now they recommend leaving it out if it is tough to get to. I was planning on doing that, but don't want to risk cracking the coil pack (especially since I have the rarer and harder to find early 1.8 four wire coil pack).

tbearmiata
02-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Try this part number for the rubber grommet on the bolt, not sure what the bolt size is though. B61P-13-363A - the grommet was about $8 when I replaced my coil pack.

miatastuff
02-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Steve, 3 coil-pack bolts on the way to you. I should have an old coil pack/bracket if needed.

Masta Phixa
02-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks Dave!

westend
02-15-2011, 10:16 PM
As there other Steve said, thanks David

FooSchnickens
02-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Interesting feedback here about that bottom coil pack bolt. In the instructions for the BEGi coolant reroute I'm doing right now they recommend leaving it out if it is tough to get to. I was planning on doing that, but don't want to risk cracking the coil pack (especially since I have the rarer and harder to find early 1.8 four wire coil pack).
I've never had issues with mine cracking. Been without a bottom bolt for 5 years now and Hector and Joe's cars have been without them for even longer. Just one more thing to add weight to the car and make changing a CAS seal that much more of a PITB.